2005 State Tournament

Bruiserengineer

My appologies in advance to David Letterman;

10. MTSU must not offer civil engineering. Whats with the stairs that lead to the arena.

9. How badly Father Ryan looked on Day 1. And then how GREAT they played on day two.

8. siegel and Blackman schools are beautiful. (nice to see tax dollars at work in a good way) Both were excellent hosts.

7. MTSU and TSSAA came through and set up the single main court. Thats the way the championship game should look.

6. Two dollars for a small coke at MTSU.

5. GPS girls cheering for Baylor on day two. (Don't tell anyone else it's just between us on this board)

4. GPS players doing the electric slide before the final game. A new warm up drill??

3. Awesome AAA semifinal matches. The "siegel Nation" was loud (trying to turn volleyball into a basketball style event). Great school spirit. Germantown's #5 (?) is the best server I have ever seen. Congratulations to Sullivan South (what a match !!)

2. Melyn Thompson (GPS Sr OH) had a great rendition of the national anthem to start the day.

AND THE NUMBER ONE THING I WILL REMEMBER IS.....

1. All the GPS former competitors that came back to help root us on. Baylor's Carson and Whitney Anderson, Red Bank's Bailey Chastain, Emily Lawson, Erin Massman, (several others?), and Boyd Buchanan's team. (I appologize if I missed others)

Thanks to all. It was a great season for GPS. Congratulations to Harpeth Hall.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

10. Siegel/Blackman hosting. Great again! Beautiful facilities, friendly people, wonderful hospitality. Thanks to both from officials everywhere.

9. The 'return' of Father Ryan. They got in a rut as the post-season was starting. Broke out of it and played like they're capable of.

8. Siegel crowd in the state semis. Loud, proud, and lots of fun. Wish every gym had a crowd like that.

7. Loretto's near-upset of ER in semis. Loretto loses a heartbreaker in 4. 25-23 and 26-24 in games 3 and 4, respectively. Would have been an upset almost on par with Brentwood's early exit. Congrats on a great year.

6. First state I can think of where West, Middle, and East all take home a title. Middle has dominated state, overall, in recent memory. Congrats to Germantown on #7.

5. Officiating (overall lack of) quality. Anyone who saw state knows it. Moving on.

4. Relief, not pleasure, that finals were on the big floor. Don't know if it would have happened regardless, but a very influential person intervened and reminded the Powers That Be why we're here in the first place.

3. Harpeth Hall taking state. No one really saw this coming. Had the talent, but weren't favored. Congrats to Taylor Parrish for winning state, being MVP, and making the kill that won it all. Always as gracious in defeat as you are in victory.

2. Fear the fro! East Ridge wins state and Catherine Neely gets another state championship. Can't say enough kind words about her and all she's done for this sport. Love those shirts!

1. Sullivan South's win over Brentwood in the state semis. Brentwood hasn't left early in a long, long, long time. Great milestone for SS reaching state finals. A win those girls will never forget.

I was only at the 3 finals matches, and this was my first time to watch the state finals...with that being said...I was disappointed with the small number of people there to watch some great girls play great Volleyball.

You know, I was just lamenting yesterday that with the games being in the middle of the day in the middle of the week that it was a shame it's not more accessible to fans. I really wanted to go watch. But somehow, without a player in the tournament, it's really hard to justify taking vacation days to go :lol:

I would LOVE to see the tournament run on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I bet you'd have lots and lots of fans if the semi's and finals if they were played on Saturday. Think of all the kids and adults who would come up for the day. I know, for a fact, that my daughter's entire middle school team was wanting to go but couldn't leave school to do so.

I supposed someone will give me a good reason WHY it can't be played this way but I'm enjoying living in my little dream world a while longer :lol:

P4K

You know, I was just lamenting yesterday that with the games being in the middle of the day in the middle of the week that it was a shame it's not more accessible to fans. I really wanted to go watch. But somehow, without a player in the tournament, it's really hard to justify taking vacation days to go :lol:

I would LOVE to see the tournament run on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I bet you'd have lots and lots of fans if the semi's and finals if they were played on Saturday. Think of all the kids and adults who would come up for the day. I know, for a fact, that my daughter's entire middle school team was wanting to go but couldn't leave school to do so.

I supposed someone will give me a good reason WHY it can't be played this way but I'm enjoying living in my little dream world a while longer ;)

P4K

I hear you!! No reason not to keep hoping! And how many of us can get to games earlier than 5 p.m. Most of us have to work to keep these girls playing. Then be penalized by having the game start before you can get there!!

1. Loretto playing great!

2. Sullivan South validating how great they played all season long.

3. Coach Neely.

4. Lack of good food at the Murph.

5. How poorly the Knox Catholic teams behaved after being put out of the first elimination round.

6. How classy the Goodpasture fans behaved after their team put Knox Catholic out of the tournament.

7. Most balanced tournament in years.

8. Letting the players sing the national anthem.

9. Anderson County making their 4th state finals in 7 years, starting seven first year players.

10. Being back on center court.

1. Siegel's first final 4

2. Coach Neely & The Ridge winning it all

3. South Beating Brentwood

4. seeing Taylor & HH take home the championship

5. Siegel dominating in Pool play--The siegel 6 having a great tournament, not losing a game in pool play.

5. Lauren Thompson's jump serve in game 4...snatching all momentum.

6. Tracy Berry back at the big dance with a new team

7. watching Cutter to Horenkamp one last time.

8. The three Siegel Soph's playing incredible--Smith, Faulkner, Reese

9. watching G-town winning what will prob be their last championship

10. The irony of #7 going to G-town and not Brentwood....save those shirts for next year.

Obviously a lot of memories revolving around Siegel. It was very fun to watch these girls play great Volleyball. They have built a legacy at Siegel. 5 returning starters will return! ...but how do you replace these 6 seniors?....you can't.

Thanks for the memories ladies.

10. The excitement of just being there

9. The MTSU Campus

8. Going 5 against East Ridge and playing poorly

7. Winning two pool games

6. The great match with Goodpasture

5. The poor officiating

4. Disappointment at seeing a 6-4 freshman scream at an opposing player after a kill.

3. The sigh of relief from AC as KC lost to Goodpasture

2. The poor officiating... did i say that?

1. The East Ridge win... the fro lives!

Announcements