Playoffs

TNT

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to take the unpopular side in this issue. I don't just defend Alcoa, but any team that has talented subs, should not stop playing football until the clock stops.

Playing at half speed against a team playing at full speed gets players injured. I have never seen any team start taking a knee in the first quarter. That would seem more arrogant than continuing to play.

Kentucky uses a 40 point "Slaughter Rule". Once a team has a 40 point advantage, the clock continues to run. In Tennessee, the quarters are shortened from 12 minutes to 10 minutes. That only equates to only 4 minutes less pounding.

Subs want to score as much as starters. Linemen want to score as much as running backs. Defensive players want to score as much as offensive players. We are Americans, and Americans love scoring. How do you tell them to quit playing because the other team just can't keep up?

Sometimes school records, or state records are within a player's grasp if he make one more big play. Should he be denied his goal just because little Johnny can't tackle him?

Alcoa will have to do something much more serious than win a lopsided game to lose my respect. They have the kind of team that we all want, don't they?

Winners always feel good, and losers always feel bad, no matter what the margin. Any player, coach, or fan that says they started this season without wanting to win them all is not worthy of your trust.

We all want to win! It's always the losers that complain.

The officiating must have been pretty good in this one. I haven't seen those usual complaints from the losers yet.

Edited by The Sports Guy

Alcoa has a better JV then most ppl have varsity. Every single guy on the team is rather really strong or really fast. I see nothing wrong with scoring 91 cause if you play half speed bad things happen. Alcoa is a great team with lots of depth just cause they play every single down like its 0-0 is that really a reason to diss them? Every coach tells his team before they leave the locker room give me 110% and we will win no matter what. What do you tell them once they start beating someone? OK guys lets just horse around lets not give 110% and let them score 5 straight TD's so we can hear tomorrow how we dont play the whole game.

There's not a whole lot more that TSSAA can do with the playoffs other than what they are currently doing as far as the seeding goes. What I would like to see is for them to mix up the schedule as far as the regions go. Right now after the first round most teams are back to playing the same schools that they just played one or two weeks ago. I know that most schools cant afford to be traveling all over the state during the playoffs, but at least have them playing teams from 2 regions away.

You all have to think about something. It's not TSSAA fault. They're not out there coaching nor playing this sport. Alcoa played an excellent game why take away something that they worked hard on? IF GP was good enough to make the playoffs they should've step up gave Alcoa a game. It's playoffs time and anything can happen.

You all have to think about something. It's not TSSAA fault. They're not out there coaching nor playing this sport. Alcoa played an excellent game why take away something that they worked hard on? IF GP was good enough to make the playoffs they should've step up gave Alcoa a game. It's playoffs time and anything can happen.

Trousdale County did the same last week. Maybe those teams just can't keep from scoring! I know Alcoa is pretty darn good. Trousdale has a decent club too.

If you dont want the team to score 91 points them STOP THEM FROM SCORING. They didnt cheat or try to deceive anyone...they just beat the crap out of the team they played...nothing wrong with it if you asked me...If a coach wants to "call off the dogs" then its cool in the regular season...but i would have a hard time telling my team to start sucking and stop scoring so much

Okay, time for my 3 cents.

It's okay the way it is. A little random sometimes, but fine. It's worked well for 12 years now. It'll continue to work well for X-teen more years.

Simple idea. Used to be that we would have to travel a lot and play teams we wouldn't normally play. Now we tend to play teams that we "normally" play first. Which does two things ... brings up revenue for the schools ... and allows for less travel which in turn saves the schools money. So, the schools win. More money means better equipment, meaning less injuries, meaning more playing time for the kids, more playing time for the kids, means more chances at the playoffs, more games played, the more exposure for some kid who might be talented playing on a mediocre team, more exposure, more headlines, more headlines, more college coaches seeing these headlines, more chances for these kids. See, it all works out. B)

And honestly, in the end, it is all about the kids. So back off the TSSAA please. You can argue all day long, but in the end, the arguing isn't helping these kids.

+ It isn't the offensive coordinators job to tell his team to stop scoring. :thumb:

Edited by fieldgoal1

The TSSAA just needs to match up the games better. There should never be a blowout as bad as 91-7 (Alcoa-Gatlinburg Pittman). :thumb:

I have no problem with a score like this as long as the winning team keeps it on the ground after about 45 or 50 points. I don't know about this game but the Trousdale County/Red Boiling Springs game earlier in the year that wound up 91 - 0 did so because TC was still throwing the ball at 70 - 0.