Gary Rankin

To 2priceless:

How may times to I have to do this? Zone exemptions have benefitted both sides throughout the years. In previous posts I have listed the names of a few excellent players who were zoned Riverdale and played for Oakland and some of those included transfers. Zone exemptions have historically worked both ways - doesn't have anything to do with who the superintendent was or which school he supported.

On to the opening of Blackman - Hulon Watson wanted that school filled and was going to make all potential 11th, 10th and 9th graders zoned for Blackman to go there. However, at the board meeting in a packed room heated with emotional parents, the BOARD members (who are elected officials proportionally representing ALL parts of the county) relented and allowed potential 11th graders to remain at their present schools if they wanted. Hulon was extremely upset and disappointed at the Board's decision.

For all your golds and silvers in other sports, congratulations! However, this is a football thread. If I were a Riverdale fan discussing golf, baseball, or girls basketball, my statements would not be quite as vociferous as some of yours on here tend to be.

Public-Private split - I agree that competition has been watered down, but if it has, hasn't Oakland competed within the same framework? And about 55 other teams in AAAAA? Since 1997, Riverdale's record has been 117-11 with three golds and three silvers. Who else in AAAAA can say that? They have also been 10-2 vs. Oakland. Watered down - without a doubt. If Maryville wants to start an interesting discussion, they definitely have leverage as does MBA and several others. But Oakland? Not much to stand on compared to the aforementioned records.

Siegel's opening - Siegel opened in 2003. Why were Oakland's numbers (of football players) not up to par with Riverdale's before Siegel opened? I mean, you can argue Riverdale has more students to recr, I mean, choose from but the difference was negligible before 2003.

James Howse winning Mr. Football - didn't happen. The first Mr. Football award was given in 1985.

But what do I know - obviously nothing about movie actors and which bombers they flew in WWII!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To olandpats, why don't you dispute any of what I said? And I don't think taxpayers are fitting this bill (even though government interference runs rampant in our economy today which would absolutely make Adam Smith spin in his grave, but John Maynard Keynes is jumping for joy ever since he advised FDR in the programs of the New Deal and its affects on distancing the economy away from a laissez-faire system, but even it wasn't a laissez faire economy before that, I mean no system truly is 100% one way or the other I suppose, but blah, blah, blah.................ad infinitum...........................)

This is a Rankin debate, which I am sure why the whole thing with recruiting came up. As a RHS fan, I am so sick of the recruiting issue. Why can't EVERYONE see that a parent would like to see their child attend the school with the premier athletic program of their choice. Suppose a D1 prospect will get much of a look at Blackman? It's stupid to even argue. It's why many moved into the Shelbyville zone if their daughter's college basketball career needed a possible look. If you can get them into the zone, why not make every attempt to do that.

If over the past decade Rankin didn't get in deep TSSAA trouble for recruiting violations . . . maybe the obvious "then" would be that he didn't recruit. Quit whining! Maybe Rankin is just good. Heaven help us if the population at large gave him the credit he and his staff are due.

To olandpats, why don't you dispute any of what I said? And I don't think taxpayers are fitting this bill (even though government interference runs rampant in our economy today which would absolutely make Adam Smith spin in his grave, but John Maynard Keynes is jumping for joy ever since he advised FDR in the programs of the New Deal and its affects on distancing the economy away from a laissez-faire system, but even it wasn't a laissez faire economy before that, I mean no system truly is 100% one way or the other I suppose, but blah, blah, blah.................ad infinitum...........................)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Even if I understood it. :D

This is a Rankin debate, which I am sure why the whole thing with recruiting came up. As a RHS fan, I am so sick of the recruiting issue. Why can't EVERYONE see that a parent would like to see their child attend the school with the premier athletic program of their choice. Suppose a D1 prospect will get much of a look at Blackman? It's stupid to even argue. It's why many moved into the Shelbyville zone if their daughter's college basketball career needed a possible look. If you can get them into the zone, why not make every attempt to do that.

If over the past decade Rankin didn't get in deep TSSAA trouble for recruiting violations . . . maybe the obvious "then" would be that he didn't recruit. Quit whining! Maybe Rankin is just good. Heaven help us if the population at large gave him the credit he and his staff are due.

Dang, are you saying that innocent until proven guilty should apply to Riverdale as well as Oakland??? How revolutionary!

Aren't we getting started with our standard off-season debates a little early? :D I guess that's Riverdale's fault for losing in the semi-finals.

I'm putting together my season recap. I was planning to wait until after the championship games but since we're getting started with all the foolishness early I might as well roll it on out.

It was a good year for the region and 2006 is looking like the "Year of the Quarterback".

More to follow....

Aren't we getting started with our standard off-season debates a little early? :D I guess that's Riverdale's fault for losing in the semi-finals.

I'm putting together my season recap. I was planning to wait until after the championship games but since we're getting started with all the foolishness early I might as well roll it on out.

It was a good year for the region and 2006 is looking like the "Year of the Quarterback".

More to follow....

I am looking forward to hearing your recap, TDC. It is always good reading.

you just narrowed down the possibilites with that post...... :D