JCS Eagles (11-1) @ Union City Tornadoes (9-3)

Melton is about 5'11" 180lbs. If that is little then I would hate to see what you look like.

Thanks for the support duckman. I really don't think any of the people that are posting from Union City grasp the concept of football. Ask players from any level if size is the biggest factor in playing the game. It isn't, the biggest thing is wanting to get after it, to play with heart to play with the love of the game, to be willing to give 100% on every single play. I know that Coach Cohu will have them ready to play with heart and get after it.

I also went to a private school and now I am in college for free, so who is the smart one now, and your posts prove that private schools are better than public schools because we at least know how to write.

Jesse James,

Like I replied to another post on here, I have to call 'em like I see 'em. Make no mistake, Union City is a football town and they will be ready to play Friday night. Some of their posters can be rather annoying but, the UC team will be ready.

I really believe that JCS is the better team though. The game isn't about public vs. private schools!! It's about which team is better prepared and has the best athletes to get the game plan done. Then EXECUTES that game plan this Friday night. These are high school kids and anything can happen Friday but, I see JCS as a clear favorite in this game. They are the real deal.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesse James,

Like I replied to another post on here, I have to call 'em like I see 'em. Make no mistake, Union City is a football town and they will be ready to play Friday night. Some of their posters can be rather annoying but, the UC team will be ready.

I really believe that JCS is the better team though. The game isn't about public vs. private schools!! It's about which team is better prepared and has the best athletes to get the game plan done. Then EXECUTES that game plan this Friday night. These are high school kids and anything can happen Friday but, I see JCS as a clear favorite in this game. They are the real deal.

You are right Duck, it's not about private and public schools, or which provides a better education. A 3.0 is a 3.0, a 2.7 is a 2.7, a 3.9 is still a 3.9, no matter the name of the school. The biggest role in a childs education comes from the involvement of the parent in their childs life! For example, if you don't care about your kids future then chances are that child will likely perform poorly in school. It doesn't mean that if a parent can't shell out several thousand dollars a year that their child will get a lesser education. My niece goes to Westview, is a soph. w/ a 3.9 that has recieved looks from West Point. My son attends Mckenzie w/ a 3.0 and will be attending college. It's more about parent involvement and student dedication than who has money and who doesn't, so why not try keeping this forum directed at football, maybe later we can start a Teacher-T and argue academics. :thumb:

There are plenty of good public schools and plenty of those kids go to college, many on a scholarship. However, some places don't offer good public school education either. In those places, private school makes more sense. I went to school in an area that had a horrible public school system and there was really no choice. What most people are trying to say is that these Union City fans are not representing their school or other public schools very well.

OK, I know that on the UC-Fayette board I promised I would not post on this board (in order not to jinx good ol' UC), but I want to make a point about the education at Union City High School.

Just b/c a few people who claim to be Union City supporters do not understand the "WERTY" system of typing is no reason to indict the thousands of graduates of UCHS, a school founded in the latter half of the 19th Century. .... The Union City School System is one of the top educational systems in the state. Alumni have, in recent years, been among the top graduates at Vanderbilt and UT Memphis Medical. We have had people rise to high ranks in the United States Military (and, the old cliche about "Military Intelligence" being an oxymoron does not apply here). The Union City School System provides a high quality education that is respected state-wide.

Yes, there are "bad seeds" at Union City, but I'm sure that if you look hard enough, you will discover that is true for EVERY school. Just a point of fact, not a criticism.

Now that I have addressed the masses from my soapbox, here's an idea: How about we keep this discussion to, oh I don't now, maybe .... FOOTBALL.

Have a nice day. :angry:

Your welcome. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

I really wish that the Rebels had at least shown ya'll a bit of what they can do but, I doubt it wouuld have been close to enough based on what I saw from JCS.

By the way, I found out today that JCS's QB (McDonald) is the son of a former teammate of mine here at McKenzie High School many years ago. Add to that coach Escue being there and it really is a small world------HUH!?

The Rebels will be back in the saddle next season and seem to be in a constant mode of rebuilding some parts of our team. But, I think we will give a good account of ourselves next season. Thanks for the well wishes. Good luck to ya'll too!!

Small indeed....Ole TM is a great guy and they are a great family. Heard he played in a pretty mean musical group too in high school. JCS wins this game handily, IMO. Sorry Jimmy (Coach Fishel), but I hate to say your Tornado luck has finally run out, but you did put together quite a team this year.

There are plenty of good public schools and plenty of those kids go to college, many on a scholarship. However, some places don't offer good public school education either. In those places, private school makes more sense. I went to school in an area that had a horrible public school system and there was really no choice. What most people are trying to say is that these Union City fans are not representing their school or other public schools very well.

The same could be said for the JCS posters, coming from a Christian school you would think that they would analyze the discussion and turn the other cheek instead of submitting comments degrading public schools by stereo-typing them into one category. WWJD?

Good luck to both schools and hopefully one of you will represent the west and not public or private.

OK, I know that on the UC-Fayette board I promised I would not post on this board (in order not to jinx good ol' UC), but I want to make a point about the education at Union City High School.

Just b/c a few people who claim to be Union City supporters do not understand the "WERTY" system of typing is no reason to indict the thousands of graduates of UCHS, a school founded in the latter half of the 19th Century. .... The Union City School System is one of the top educational systems in the state. Alumni have, in recent years, been among the top graduates at Vanderbilt and UT Memphis Medical. We have had people rise to high ranks in the United States Military (and, the old cliche about "Military Intelligence" being an oxymoron does not apply here). The Union City School System provides a high quality education that is respected state-wide.

Yes, there are "bad seeds" at Union City, but I'm sure that if you look hard enough, you will discover that is true for EVERY school. Just a point of fact, not a criticism.

Now that I have addressed the masses from my soapbox, here's an idea: How about we keep this discussion to, oh I don't now, maybe .... FOOTBALL.

Have a nice day. :thumb:

Another side note to your post....

To the idea Union City doesn't have any concept of what football is...

Just in recent history...Union City has 3 LOSING seasons since 1982..2 in the last three years..Union City has played in the playoffs,oh once or twice in those years..Union City has had undefeated regular seasons,Union City has played in TWO state championship games and multiple semi-final games..The Tornado program has played some of the most storied and tradition rich programs in the entire state..Have the last TWO seasons been fun??Of course not..People have very short,what have you done for me lately memories....I'm wondering when the last time JCS played for a state championship in football..Any??..I don't think so..Has the sports program at JCS ever played for a state championship??..In anything???..Because Union City has competed in state championship contests in football,basketball,baseball and oh yea tennis and track..Don't be so naive to post something as DUMB as Union City doesn't have any concept or understanding what football is...

Back to the game..Some of the reasons JCS is going to beat Union City....They beat Jax South Side and played DCA close...OK, granted the Eagles did defeat a solid 3A team in the South Side Hawks and UC didn't beat a higher classified team...Truth is, Westview and Milan are BOTH better than South Side...For the record,I don't think JCS would have beaten those two either..And DCA turned out to be a mediocre to decent 2A team that lost in the first round to Camden...JCS held Hayes in check..Well,he did pass for 290 yards...The team as a whole threw for 310 or so yards...I imagine had Hayes thrown 72 TIMES and completed 46 against JCS he would have probably thrown for the yardage he did against UC...UC by the way RUSHED for over 500 yards against McKenzie..Why throw the ball???JCS is 11-1 and UC is 9-3..UC hasn't been ranked in the state in 1A..JCS has been ranked all year...So what??..UC is 9-0 vs 1A competition..Last I checked Union City is playing in the 1A playoffs....

The keys to the game are going to be..can JCS match up athlete wise with UC...The only team JCS can say they have played with the type of athlete UC has is Jax SS...They did well vs them..They will have to have the same type effort..They(JCS)will have to stop the UC run game..For the 6-0 score vs FA,UC did rush for over 200 yards and Nate Coleman did rush for over 100 yards...The kicking game is going to huge...Field position is going to be a key...Both these teams seem to be solid in those areas of the game...Union City will have to be able to control the Eagle passing game...Not many people did stop Drew Hayes...One BIG area I haven't seen mentioned is coaching...In my mind the jury is still out on Fishel..Will he crumble under the pressure...Will he keep the Tornadoes on an even keel this week or will he do things he hasn't done in the last 12 weeks due to the pressure of the game..Can he and his staff find that one or two weak spots in JCS's game that he can exploit..Every team has them,JCS included...As for crowd support,this is nothing new and really shouldn't shock anyone...Would the players and coaching staff like to look up in the crowd and see a jam-packed stadium??..Sure,but if you are good enough it shouldn't matter where you play or how many you play in front of...All that said,I think..Just a gut feeling,that Union City will win this game..It will be close, but I do think it will be Union City...

Another side note to your post....

To the idea Union City doesn't have any concept of what football is...

Just in recent history...Union City has 3 LOSING seasons since 1982..2 in the last three years..Union City has played in the playoffs,oh once or twice in those years..Union City has had undefeated regular seasons,Union City has played in TWO state championship games and multiple semi-final games..The Tornado program has played some of the most storied and tradition rich programs in the entire state..Have the last TWO seasons been fun??Of course not..People have very short,what have you done for me lately memories....I'm wondering when the last time JCS played for a state championship in football..Any??..I don't think so..Has the sports program at JCS ever played for a state championship??..In anything???..Because Union City has competed in state championship contests in football,basketball,baseball and oh yea tennis and track..Don't be so naive to post something as DUMB as Union City doesn't have any concept or understanding what football is...

Back to the game..Some of the reasons JCS is going to beat Union City....They beat Jax South Side and played DCA close...OK, granted the Eagles did defeat a solid 3A team in the South Side Hawks and UC didn't beat a higher classified team...Truth is, Westview and Milan are BOTH better than South Side...For the record,I don't think JCS would have beaten those two either..And DCA turned out to be a mediocre to decent 2A team that lost in the first round to Camden...JCS held Hayes in check..Well,he did pass for 290 yards...The team as a whole threw for 310 or so yards...I imagine had Hayes thrown 72 TIMES and completed 46 against JCS he would have probably thrown for the yardage he did against UC...UC by the way RUSHED for over 500 yards against McKenzie..Why throw the ball???JCS is 11-1 and UC is 9-3..UC hasn't been ranked in the state in 1A..JCS has been ranked all year...So what??..UC is 9-0 vs 1A competition..Last I checked Union City is playing in the 1A playoffs....

The keys to the game are going to be..can JCS match up athlete wise with UC...The only team JCS can say they have played with the type of athlete UC has is Jax SS...They did well vs them..They will have to have the same type effort..They(JCS)will have to stop the UC run game..For the 6-0 score vs FA,UC did rush for over 200 yards and Nate Coleman did rush for over 100 yards...The kicking game is going to huge...Field position is going to be a key...Both these teams seem to be solid in those areas of the game...Union City will have to be able to control the Eagle passing game...Not many people did stop Drew Hayes...One BIG area I haven't seen mentioned is coaching...In my mind the jury is still out on Fishel..Will he crumble under the pressure...Will he keep the Tornadoes on an even keel this week or will he do things he hasn't done in the last 12 weeks due to the pressure of the game..Can he and his staff find that one or two weak spots in JCS's game that he can exploit..Every team has them,JCS included...As for crowd support,this is nothing new and really shouldn't shock anyone...Would the players and coaching staff like to look up in the crowd and see a jam-packed stadium??..Sure,but if you are good enough it shouldn't matter where you play or how many you play in front of...All that said,I think..Just a gut feeling,that Union City will win this game..It will be close, but I do think it will be Union City...

good post

The same could be said for the JCS posters, coming from a Christian school you would think that they would analyze the discussion and turn the other cheek instead of submitting comments degrading public schools by stereo-typing them into one category. WWJD?

Good luck to both schools and hopefully one of you will represent the west and not public or private.

One of the dirtiest,foul-mouthed teams I ever played against was SBEC(another church school) back in the 1982 Civitan Bowl...Playing a church school doesn't mean anything...

As for "the Christians are coming" statement...Union City has a few born-again Christians on their team too,I'm sure :thumb:

There is only one big difference in this game; offense. Both teams have a very athletic and good defenses. They both gave up alot of yards to Hayes and Mckenzie, but who doesn't. JCS didn't give up hardly any points to them though and UC held them enough to win the game. Both teams also have a very solid kicking game as well, although I think UC's may be a little bit better. However, on offense they're much different. JCS is very balanced, mixing the run and the pass well. UC has balance as well, running it to the left side or the right side, and who to run it with. I think JCS will win this one by a fairly close margin because their offense is a little bit harder to stop. However, if JCS makes some mistakes, i.e. penalties or turnovers, this game will be up for grabs.