Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, well, well ... lets get it on. I'm sure there will be a lot of comments and ideas and philisophical debate about who will beat who. There will be stats and more stats presented with all kinds of comparisons. So ... let it rip. I know from a Melrose fan perspective ... this has been a very much anticipated game.

Melrose vs. Maryville ... round 2 ... Ding!

kwc and omw...hopefully we can hook up this time. We narrowly missed each other last year (when I still went by the login dmoyers1). Looking forward to renewing this long distance rivalry.

I am no one to be imposing my will, but if had my way Rebel fans, we'd ALL show respect to the Melrose peeps. I can tell ya now kwc and omw are good guys. :D

LET'S GET IT ON BOYS!! Congrats on getting to the Boro...

once again i smell some fear coming from east tennessee.

Gerry, don't you have a girls volleyball thread to post in somewhere? You don't know any Rebel fans...

Edited by Rebel Nation

Melrose is good. If they can beat Maryville, then I will believe.

I still think Maryville is a notch or two better than everyone else.

The mistakes Melrose is making (too many penalties) will catch

up to them next week. Melrose has to eliminate the mistakes.

It will be a great match up. Maryville will have a plan after

watching the tapes. Trust me, the Melrose players know

what they are going up against. They will have to play their

best game of the season to win.

uum i love it when people start attacking me for no apparent reason except i am stating my opinion. wonder how many passes will be caught over the middle come sat.

Prediction:

Maryville 14

Melrose 13

Maryville is the more well-rounded team/program and the best 4A has to offer, bar none. These teams look relatively close on paper. Melrose's defense is not as strong as last year's, but their offense is probably a little better. I predicted this score because Melrose traditionally has problems with XPs.

Best of luck to both teams. If this game actually comes down to the kicking game, I hope Melrose has shored up in that area - it's a shame to lose a game because of kicking woes.

As many of you know, I don't make predictions. However I would like to make three points.

1. The Melrose defense is as good or better than last year.

2. We have two kickers now. Scored a 37 yard field gold last week and all PATs. all 4 PATs in the Hillsboro game.

Cooper and the passing game are both better than last year.

Melrose, Melrose, Melrose, I am hoping I can make it to the Buro to see this great rematch next week. I will be sitting with the fans from Orange Mound as I did last year. Melrose has to limit its penalties, they had 16 tonight, 16!!!

16 penalties is terrible. However a great many of these was after the game was out of hand. It looked like the kids lost concentration (illegal procdure mostly.) During crunch time, with a few exceptions, we did well.

I believe the reason Maryville wins this one is the same reason they have won 82 of their last 84. Coach George Quarles.

Maryville with out a doubt will be more prepared going into the game. Too many times over the past 84 games Maryville has not had the edge in tallent and came out on top. Not to take anything away from the tallent Maryville has had, but their tallent is not what wins ball games.

It is amazing to see the execution and discipline that Maryville displays. And their kids are a huge part of it. But the coaching staff at Maryville knows how to get the best out of what they have and they get every bit of it.

Please dont get me wrong, the Maryville players are very tallented and play with tremendous heart. The coaching staff just makes them that much better, and has allowed them to be as dominate as they have been.

Good luck Rebels, bring it back to East Tennessee.

Edited by KFLfootball

Gerry...dont base your opinion on a few people...i talked to a guy from Melrose after the game last year and he had nothing but good things to say about our fans...likewise to what i had to say about Melrose..get a clue buddy...

As for the game...the defense for Maryville tonight was awesome...being able to punish a really gutsy back like Ewing says a lot...as for Cooper he is very fast and quick but i dont think Maryville will have too much of a problem with his speed...we are just as fast...GO REBELS!!!!!

Congrats to the Golden Wildcats and Rebels. Here we go round two. I think it will be a defensive game, although the offenses for both teams will score more than they did last year. I think turnovers and special teams will make the difference. I know that Melrose has a great special teams unit and can make the big play. Also, the kicking game is solid. I don't know anything about Maryville's special teams, other than what I saw last year. I will be calling my co-worker and Maryville alumn this week to get the breakdown. I'm looking toward a great weekend of high school football (South Panola v Olive Branch in Batesville Friday night....yes, I know nobody cares :D and Melrose and Maryville Saturday!

My Tigers did well against Duke (University of Memphis Class of '86).

I thought this was a very intereting post from another thread (I'm sorry I can't remember who post it to give him proper credit):

The Maryville Rebels are a very well coached machine. Beating them starts by

giving them the respect they deserve and be willing to match their intensity and focus the entire game. Many opposing coaches have failed to cash in on their chances at beating the Maryville system. It's hard to beat a team that is well prepared for the all physical and mental aspects of the game and the opponent.

Coach Quarles and his staff know the strengths and weaknesses of their players and develope a chemistry that fits the players. He also has a good feel for the changes in momentum that applies to all big games.

Without getting into every detail I'll address the topic. This Maryville team as some short comings in physical ability. The Q-back position has some limitations on physical ability but has shown improvement lately. The running game is about the best I've seen with the blocking schemes and running backs and coach Quarles has taken advantage of the defense at the proper moments to pass. The key is slowing down the run and yes , man to man coverage on the receivers. If your defense makes a mistake at any position they will see it . One Q-back has a limited arm and the other has limited maturity. This offense has been making a few mistakes and turnovers in the second half. Opponents have failed to score on these mistakes.

The Maryville defense is very well coached. To beat it you don't try and beat the whole unit, just execute or overpower the area you want to go. As with any good team the defense will adjust to stop success but usually creates a weakness somewhere else. Most of the big plays the Rebels have given up come from the offense doing the unusual. The Rebel players are well coached in their area of responsibility. They know how and when to give help on certain plays. Plays against the flow of the defense are an example, where the areas of responsibility get confused. But you still need speed runners and backside blocking schemes to break the pursuit. Most of the big plays the Rebels have given up have been against the grain. Slow developing predicatable plays will not work because they read very well and are effective with line penetration.

In either case many more tallented teams the Rebels have faced have failed to beat the system.

Any thoughts?

Gerry...dont base your opinion on a few people...i talked to a guy from Melrose after the game last year and he had nothing but good things to say about our fans...likewise to what i had to say about Melrose..get a clue buddy...

As for the game...the defense for Maryville tonight was awesome...being able to punish a really gutsy back like Ewing says a lot...as for Cooper he is very fast and quick but i dont think Maryville will have too much of a problem with his speed...we are just as fast...GO REBELS!!!!!

RebelGuy21

Maryville is a great team. I have the utmost of respect for the way they play the game and their gridiron accomplishments. However, Maryville is not as fast as Melrose. That simply is not true. You have not seen this kind of team speed all year. This has the makings of a very very good title game.