Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

As many of you know, I don't make predictions. However I would like to make three points.

1. The Melrose defense is as good or better than last year.

2. We have two kickers now. Scored a 37 yard field gold last week and all PATs. all 4 PATs in the Hillsboro game.

Cooper and the passing game are both better than last year.

OMW,

1) Is Courtney Madison (last year's starting QB, for those unaware) still on the team?

2) If so, what role is he playing--I don't seem to recall seeing him play, since early in the year? There appears to be a different 2nd string QB...

3) Did Coach flowers ever consider using Madison in the backfield, along side Cooper?

4) Personally, I think Madison would be great in the backfield along side Cooper. Frankly, I'm shocked that he's not being used on offense or special teams, somewhere! What's up with that?

Man, that kid Madison is as quick as a cat and as slippery as a water slide--very tough for defenders to get a handle on. He's nothing less than a lethal weapon vs defenses, IMO.

Edited by TraderB

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hard to argue agains maryville. very fast d and an offense that can put enough points on the board. the only negative to maryville tonight was there penalties. they cant do that in the state game, but i'm sure they wont. maryville by 14.

hard to argue against melrose.they are fast on both sides of the ball.maryville by 14, you must be smoking.

everyone is talking about how the passing game will be the difference in this game, does no one realize that before it can be affective you have to be able to get the pass off?? maryville's D line is incredible and forces lots of bad throws, not to mention they get their hands up very well and bat a lot of passes down, i am interested to see the effectiveness of this passing. i just dont think they are going to have time to sit back there and throw it effectively without tucker and company being in their face forcing a high throw that maples could grab and get a decent return with. this is going to be an exciting game by the sounds of it. both teams with dominant runners, and both saying they can pass the ball, i just cant wait for saturday to roll around

everyone is talking about how the passing game will be the difference in this game, does no one realize that before it can be affective you have to be able to get the pass off?? maryville's D line is incredible and forces lots of bad throws, not to mention they get their hands up very well and bat a lot of passes down, i am interested to see the effectiveness of this passing. i just dont think they are going to have time to sit back there and throw it effectively without tucker and company being in their face forcing a high throw that maples could grab and get a decent return with. this is going to be an exciting game by the sounds of it. both teams with dominant runners, and both saying they can pass the ball, i just cant wait for saturday to roll around

I haven`t really seen anyone saying that Melrose`s passing game will be the difference. I think the main point has been that their passing game has dramatically improved since the first of the season. I think first and foremost Melrose will run the ball.

Like some of my Maryville breathen have said, nothing but respect for Melrose's "D" last year. Next to Maryville's fastest and most physical I have ever seen. That was last year.

Maryville respects all opponents and most assuredly Melrose. Maryville will use this week to prepare for a what they know will be a huge game and I think everyone should know by now Maryville knows how to do that.

If you think Maryville is scared, timid or slow or maybe over come by the big game factor then you are really clueless. Maryville will have to play a very good game to beat Melrose, but win or lose Maryville will bring a champions "A" game.

Gerry you are simply a clown and are only trying to change the focus of this threads to you jealously and lack of knowledge of the game of football. Simply put, we don't care what you think because on so many other topics you have been way off base.

I am looking forward to another meeting vs. another great Tennessee 4A football power.

Edited by FBEmeritus

I haven`t really seen anyone saying that Melrose`s passing game will be the difference. I think the main point has been that their passing game has dramatically improved since the first of the season. I think first and foremost Melrose will run the ball.

yes melrose will primarily run the ball, but i was just saying every team tries to throw the surprise pass in there somwhere to catch the defense off guard, and from experience Maryville will most likely be ready and force the quarterback into a bad throw, i was just saying i dont think that even if they do try to pass that they will be that effective at all

Just beginning my study for the game I read this from the Memphis paper.

First-year Melrose football coach Chester Flowers Jr. quite frankly doesn't care who his team takes on in next week's Class 4A BlueCross Bowl in Murfreeboro.

I don't care if it's Maryville. I don't care if it's the Indianapolis Colts. No one is going to stop us from bringing back that gold ball," Flowers said Friday, just moments after Melrose (13-1) had clobbered the Burros in just about every way imaginable.

Melrose football Coach Chester Flowers Jr

"We wanted to make them throw it," said Melrose junior defensive end Donald Houston, who was credited with one of Melrose's four sacks. "They didn't want to, but we made them throw. Now we gotta win next week. I want Maryville."

Interesting? Well Melrose got their wishes and don’t care if it is Maryville. Well Maryville will be there ready to go. Great to have confidence, it will be needed. Go Reb’s.

Once again we have Maryville fans personally attacking an individual for his opinion. I know football and you are the same guys that don't believe cover 2 is a base defense in football (watch the Colts and you will see).

Now back to the game. Melrose isn't afraid of Maryville, they have been wanting Maryville to win out so they can avenge their loss. Melrose has gotten better since last year, I don't think the same can be said about Maryville. Yes, Maryville is still a great team and it is hard to improve on what they have year in and year out, but I think Melrose has finally gotten together. Their offense has improved greatly.

If Maryville starts getting alot of pressure and blitzing 5, 6, or 7 men, Melrose needs to take advantage of their team speed, which Maryville can't match, and throw screens and quick passes. Make Maryville's secondary wrap up and tackle, which they can, but I rather have them making a tackle than the Maryville front seven. Melrose needs to get a copy of the Central tape from the regular season and it shows spots they need to attack if they want to win the game.

I think Maryville may come out and pass to set up the run in this game, if they can pass the ball effectively early on, it will cause that Melrose secondary to set back and not come up for run support. If Maryville can't pass the ball, they may be in trouble. Yes, they have a great running game, but they haven't went up against this type of defense since last year's championship game.

For those that think that Maryville is going to score 35, please wake up and see what Melrose has done this year. This game will be in the low and high teens. I think Maryville needs to get points when they can and not try to score 7 everytime, opefully GQ has learned that 3 points is better than 0.

My Prediction

Melrose- 19

Maryville- 17

.i hope you guys run about 15 screens because Mo West tried to and guess what...the quarterback had all day to throw because of the recognition of the D-line...the running game is better than last year as well...and you guys have not faced a backfield like this one...and if you think you have guess again...two 1000 yard rushers...a sweep of the hardest region in high school football and not to mention we have the best coaching staff in the state...oh by the way...the last time a coach said that he wanted Maryville and that they were gonna take us out behind the woodshed...Maryville won of course very handily...Cleveland 44-12 and your buddies from Hillsboro in 2002(handily in the last quarter)...so if he wants it hes definately gonna get it.

Edited by VolunteerGeneral