Multiplier rule did what it was suppose to do!

UCSportsFan

Antwan

Brief note

I promised to find more detail and debate this week but I have to break my promise. Mother passed away suddenly. Just can't get interested in the issue right now. Maybe so time in the future. Sorry. Felt I owed you an explanation.

Don't worry a minute about it. I am very sorry for your loss. No explanation necessary.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hundreds of thousands of people have received a quality education in the Hamilton County public schools. Choose private.....hello multiplier. Keep complaining.....hello total split.

Hamilton County schools, Sequatchie, whichever you're talking about, can produce outstanding students-if the students and their parents are willing to take advantage of it. Many don't, plus you have have students from all backgrounds and frankly, all levels of intelligence. That results in lower percentage going to college, lower GPA, lower ACT or SAT, and a bad perception of public schools by some who don't think a little about reasons for lesser results. If a parent is willing to come up with $5,000, $10,000 a year for a student to attend a private school, I'd be willing to bet the parent makes sure homework is done and projects completed on time. That's not found in quite a lot of public students' homes. Apples and oranges, which some can't seem to understand, and yes, that carries over onto the playing fields and courts.

Edited by Indian

I don`t buy into this stuff about private schools being better. They do have a much higher concentration of students who are naturally brighter. I don`t think the fact that they go to a private school makes them any smarter. It`s so bogus when private schools brag about average GPA. They want to make it sound like they are better at educating kids. Private schools are mostly a conglomerate of bright students whose parents either have the money or sacrifice dearly to send them there. Public schools can still educate kids. I just hate it when private schools try to claim they can educate better than public schools. IMO they can`t. They just have better students to work with.

If you took private school kids and put them in the public schools and took all the public school kids and put them in a private school, then public schools would "seem" better than the private schools. It`s just nonsense for private schools to claim they know how to educate better than public schools.

I don`t buy into this stuff about private schools being better. They do have a much higher concentration of students who are naturally brighter. I don`t think the fact that they go to a private school makes them any smarter. It`s so bogus when private schools brag about average GPA. They want to make it sound like they are better at educating kids. Private schools are mostly a conglomerate of bright students whose parents either have the money or sacrifice dearly to send them there. Public schools can still educate kids. I just hate it when private schools try to claim they can educate better than public schools. IMO they can`t. They just have better students to work with.

If you took private school kids and put them in the public schools and took all the public school kids and put them in a private school, then public schools would "seem" better than the private schools. It`s just nonsense for private schools to claim they know how to educate better than public schools.

While this is not on topic, I disagree here with you VG...and that is rare. I know that our population at Boyd is very much in line with the county public schools. The average IQ, the racial makeup, and the number of "special needs" students is virtually identical. This is because we take kids (like most small Christian schools) based on a lot of criteria, not just academic performance. So What you are saying is probably true for the big Prep schools, but not for the D1 privates.

Not to say that we don't have some advantages in the education arena...probably the most important 2 are smaller class size and faculty accountability. Third would be the fact that if a parent is paying 6000 dollars a year they tend to be involved in their child's performance. BUT the publics COULD have these things too...they just don't.

Let's all keep in mind that Tennessee's public schools as a whole ranked 42 of 50 in the Nation last year, and that Hamilton County ranked 4th or 5th from LAST in Tennessee. I really don't think that the kids in Chattanooga are more stupid than 99% of the country, so that leaves the school system to blame. Thus the reason that so many small privates have appeared in the last 15 years in our area.

While this is not on topic, I disagree here with you VG...and that is rare. I know that our population at Boyd is very much in line with the county public schools. The average IQ, the racial makeup, and the number of "special needs" students is virtually identical. This is because we take kids (like most small Christian schools) based on a lot of criteria, not just academic performance. So What you are saying is probably true for the big Prep schools, but not for the D1 privates.

Not to say that we don't have some advantages in the education arena...probably the most important 2 are smaller class size and faculty accountability. Third would be the fact that if a parent is paying 6000 dollars a year they tend to be involved in their child's performance. BUT the publics COULD have these things too...they just don't.

Let's all keep in mind that Tennessee's public schools as a whole ranked 42 of 50 in the Nation last year, and that Hamilton County ranked 4th or 5th from LAST in Tennessee. I really don't think that the kids in Chattanooga are more stupid than 99% of the country, so that leaves the school system to blame. Thus the reason that so many small privates have appeared in the last 15 years in our area.

Do you think losing 20 percent of the highest group of achieving students to private schools hurts the ACT, graduation rates, as well as to a lesser extent at systems in neighboring counties? And you left out student accountability, there are some things that would get a student tossed from Boyd-Buchanan that public schools just have to live with year after year. One last thing, how do you force parents to get involved?

Edited by Indian

Do you think losing 20 percent of the highest group of achieving students to private schools hurts the ACT, graduation rates, as well as to a lesser extent at systems in neighboring counties? And you left out student accountability, there are some things that would get a student tossed from Boyd-Buchanan that public schools just have to live with year after year. One last thing, how do you force parents to get involved?

I don't believe that 20% of the highest achieving students have gone to the privates, but if they have it isn't because they all got together and planned it, it is because the public system here hasn't served their needs. The comparison that is made every year is a state to state/county to county thing. Since there are privates in every state I would think that the whole "the best kids all went to privates" argument is moot.

Your second point is a good one...and yet the public schools used to have that kind of accountablility. I think that is another reason that parents send their kids to privates. And there is nothing stopping the publics from booting problem children...they just don't anymore (at least around here...I think it might be very different in some of the small community publics, which are much more like small privates than larger city publics).

Finally, you can't force parents to do anything...we can't either. Smaller, community based schools (like you guys) would help. More faculty involvement and accountability would help too.

you can't force every parent to involve....but can you increase it? I think so...by giving them an opportunity to effectively implement some changes. Every private school parent is not involved either...other than writing the check. But can you increase involvement? I think there are a lot of ways to improve involvement ....and allowing a school voucher system, merit based pay....I'm sure there are many things that could improve .....dumping the unions and dropping tenure might be improvements.