Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

RamRod - Don't have a clue how the academic transition from a public middle school into a college prep school has to do with a wrestling board. If you think they're teaching the same stuff in Algebra 1 at McCallie as they are at the Hamilton County public schools, then you are misinformed. Worked well for my son though as he was accepted to all the universities of his choice and is doing very well with his final selection. As I've said many times on this board, my son received an outstanding academic education at McC as there are many awesome teachers working there.

hespinnedref - Keep sippin that blue koolaid, everythings great. Anything good that happens with a program is obviously as a result of the head coach. Anything bad happens, well it had to be the administration, the parents, the kids.... That sword only swings in one direction in your eyes. Just keep sippin....

Sommer's lie was he attempted to paint me as providing a false birthdate for my son on an AAU form on the TWF forum. Obviously part of his agenda since he wasn't there and since it never happened. If I knew sign language I would spell it out for you.

As for my saying nothing, my nothing sure generates a lot of interest on this board and I don't cower anonymously behind a screen name like you, wrestle90, and RamRod. That's one thing I'll give credit to Soms on.

Edited by walkenvol

hespinnedref - Keep sippin that blue koolaid, everythings great. Anything good that happens with a program is obviously as a result of the head coach. Anything bad happens, well it had to be the administration, the parents, the kids.... That sword only swings in one direction in your eyes. Just keep sippin....

As for my saying nothing, my nothing sure generates a lot of interest on this board and I don't cower anonymously behind a screen name like you, wrestle90, and RamRod. That's one thing I'll give credit to Soms on.

Cower anonymously...? Hmmm... I doubt I am cowering anonymously. This board is made for you to voice your opinions. No where does it say to not tell who you are. You just make a name and say what you want. It has never come up who I am, so I am not hiding behind some hidden identity. Secondly, I would have to say I am not cowering if I am responding to your comments Walkenvol. I have no problem telling you who I am, but others close to me feel that it would be a good idea as a whole not to say anything because of the false ideas and notions that might come up in the heads of people like you. Keep voicing your opinions though! You keep all of us on here entertained I'll give you that!

As for your comments to hespinnedref - I believe you were once sipping on that "blue koolaid" as well not too long ago. Don't put down someone's support for their program just because you disagree now. Because you were once that man. When you sent Spencer to McCallie a few years ago, you knew of the punishment the school's wrestling program had been under years previously. It didn't seem to bother you then, as you and Spencer attended most every McCallie varsity wrestling match, even when Spencer was in middle school still. But now all of a sudden, because of one incident that occured during your son's last high school match, you are bitter towards McCallie and criticize them and their program now on the basis of the punishment they were under years ago. It doesn't make sense...

I just wish this could all be dropped. I've said what I am going to say, and hopefully the last thing I will say in response to you and your comments. It's an exhausted topic just as the Bradley not wanting to wrestle Baylor and McCallie topic. Let the bitterness rest. Can't we all just get along? Haha doubtful!

Edited by Wrestle90

This thread really got away from complimenting great coaches. We have a lot in this area that deserve mention. Anyone have any more to add to those already brought up?

He's retired , at least for now, but Logsdon in my book was / is the best. His hand picked successor deserves consideration for one of the top spots as well.

Another guy rising quickly in stature among current coaches is Kevin Emily of Red Bank. He is working very hard with both the highschool and kids programs. He often loses some of his best prospects to the big red and blue wrestling machines but is well on his way to building a very competetive team.

"I doubt I am cowering anonymously" - making personal attacks toward other posters and their children without identifying yourself. If the shoe fits....

"I have no problem telling you who I am" - then muster up some backbone and do it. I'm in the phone book if you need another avenue.

"I believe you were once sipping on that "blue koolaid" as well not too long ago." - yes, I was duped once. Started coming around in 2001, got burned some in 2003 but was locked in without any options and was then torched the entire 2004 season.

"because of one incident that occured during your son's last high school match" - this shows how completely misinformed you are, but your not worthy an explanation and besides the truth doesn't matter to you anyway.

"you are bitter towards McCallie" - wrong, bitter toward one McC employee, disappointed is a couple of others. Complementary of the vast majority....it is an outstanding academic school.

"I doubt I am cowering anonymously" - making personal attacks toward other posters and their children without identifying yourself. If the shoe fits....

"I have no problem telling you who I am" - then muster up some backbone and do it. I'm in the phone book if you need another avenue.

"I believe you were once sipping on that "blue koolaid" as well not too long ago." - yes, I was duped once. Started coming around in 2001, got burned some in 2003 but was locked in without any options and was then torched the entire 2004 season.

"because of one incident that occured during your son's last high school match" - this shows how completely misinformed you are, but your not worthy an explanation and besides the truth doesn't matter to you anyway.

"you are bitter towards McCallie" - wrong, bitter toward one McC employee, disappointed is a couple of others. Complementary of the vast majority....it is an outstanding academic school.

You are not even worth it... honestly you aren't. I apologize for being misinformed. I guess I just got the wrong impression. But if I did, others did as well. And no I am not going to tell you who I am because, obviously with the situtation being discussed right now, that would be a bad idea. So I am a coward (in your eyes)... is that what you want to hear? I hope that makes you happy, because nowadays, I don't know what could. But once again I'm done with this... but I will leave you with one question. I think much of your ill feelings deal with this question. Should a coach be more concerned with what's best for the team, or for one individual on the team? I am curious to your response. Thank you for taking notice to my posts. But I'm dropping it and I wish you would do the same.

I didn't know giving you an at-a-boy for producing an outstanding young man was an act of a coward. You seam to havre more class than that.

The other part of the post seams to be all facts so I guess they have you down to name calling. Hang in there you have round 2 going into Baylor and your going to have to get the Skin of a Rhino for those 5 years.

Theres are plenty of kids that transition into schools like McCallie from the public schools. I understand your oldest was a honor roll student in middle school so I'm sure he could have hung.

Edited by RamRod

RamRod - Don't have a clue how the academic transition from a public middle school into a college prep school has to do with a wrestling board.

I does! I guess the Irish have lower standards than the blue.

It's the same as Football Parents holding their kids back in Texas Football. It was to give their kids an advantage! The articles I read about those parents said it was to give their son a opportunity to get a good scholarship in the sport of choice.

Some feel you held SM back to give him an advantage and a opportunity to win wrestling state championships. Not for the academics

I don't know!

All I know is I enjoyed watching your young man on the mats.

Not wanting to be a WV basher. I enjoy your post and watching your children on the mats.

Blue isn't a Manley color any way. ;);)

Good luck in your new color of choice.

Edited by RamRod

This topic has been explained as best as can be explained wvol. You dont agree with Coach Logsdon or Bradleys stand. He stood by his principals. His championship success is unprecedented in any sport in our states history.

Regardless of how people feel about his views he will go down as one of the greatest in Tennesse Wrestling ever. His 13 state championships in 12 years will guarntee that. I dont know what else I can add.

By the way I remind you that I was complimentary and in agreement with the other coaches mentioned which is what this thread started out to be. I did not try and find reasons not to agree with some.

I disagree with you that there is ANY explanation or principal or line of reasoning that would end this tiresome bi-weekly discussion. I appreciate the discussion we have had to this point but I really dont know what else to add beyond giving personal details of certain things that have driven this stance. That is not my place to do. Again the thread started as a shout out to all who have been great in this state. I agreed with those mentioned, threw in the name who was in command of the benchmark program and a few just cant quite get rid of the sour taste of years of Bradley excellence that Logsdon helped to accomplish.

In closing, if it makes any difference I also feel Baylor is the best team in the state this year even though they dont wrestle Bradley. But, check with me again on that question next year.

I believe Logston deserves to be listed amoung the best. He has turned out some of the best wrestlers ever. I do think he missed an opportunity to be considered "the best of the best" by beating the d-2 teams. He had a chance to put himself in a class by himself.

I believe Logston deserves to be listed amoung the best. He has turned out some of the best wrestlers ever. I do think he missed an opportunity to be considered "the best of the best" by beating the d-2 teams. He had a chance to put himself in a class by himself.

Funny thing is,...I never aspired to put myself in any class at all. Just loved to watch young guys dream big, then try to help them go reach it. It's the same thing another man did for me over twenty years ago. Let someone else worry about records and "classes". It's not those championships that I miss the most now,...it's the relationships that our sport builds. Those are my best memories.

Edited by legman