Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

If the powers at these programs be would make the Dual between Bradley, McCallie and Baylor happen you would have folks from all over this state and a few others coming to watch. I would drive a couple of hours to see that dual. I would take a larger gym than any of the teams have to host this event.

If you cannot do it for the sake of great wrestling do it for the sake of $greed$ and split the gate three ways. The Chick or Mr. Chick needs to stop having a cow every time the bears program is not put in the light as the Flagship of TN wrestling.

We all know it's a great program but it's not perfect. "Truth is in the eye of the beholder"

When Bradley decides to wrestling 20 miles down the road and beats the big D-II's then there will be know discussion about it. Untill then it's going to keep coming up. Live with it being brought up every 10 post or get the Bear nation to get over it and just wrestle Mc and Baylor.

That was a fantastic point about great coaches Wvol. There are coaches out there who need to learn that. In addition, I noticed many young coaches over the last years as the head coach in smaller programs. I think it's great that they are giving their time to these programs but I wonder who is mentoring these young men. To continue the growth of TN Wrestling some of the great coaches that some of the posters have mentioned need to reach out and offer to mentor these young coaches or at least give them a number to call.

Cool, How DO you change font colors?

Cool, How DO you change font colors?

I saw a little love on this thread for the Notre Dame coaching staff. Allow me to shower the people I love with love. I can't name just one individual on the staff and herald him because they truly work as a team. Mullen yells at you, then Voiles yells at you, then Lennon goes off on you. It's truly a beautiful thing. Seriously, these guys HAVE THE LOVE. If you charged them 100.00 to have the PRIVELEGE of coaching The Irish, they'd pay it and start practice. Is Notre Dame #1 every year ? No. But I challenge you to tell me who gets more out of their squads. ND has a few shining stars, a few better than average warriors, and a few middle of the road guys, but this coaching staff continues to wring every drop of talent out of the men and achieve more than was perceived possible "on paper". They have the love AND the knowledge. They'd do ANYTHING for the men ON and OFF the mat. How do you top that? You don't. Thank you ,Santa, for bringing us ND's Mullen, Lennon, and Voiles. THE BEST IN THE STATE.

I would agree that these are the most important things,and as I said before I do consider Logston a great coach. I guess I am still chapped that I never got to see a Simpson-Keller match.

We was robbed! I would have bet the house and tuition money on Simpson. And Major Worsham is still the best coach. He lives through many of the coaches recognized on this thread because many of the best can trace their winning coaching philosophies directly to him or wrestlers that wrestled for him.

Edited by takedown3

How about Ooltewah assistant coach Danny Gilbert? He did win, I believe, a couple of state championships (pre-split and pre-class) while the head coach at East Ridge and has played a big role in the upturn of fortunes of Ooltewah wrestling (until recently a doormat to say the least). He is also considered one of the better referees in the state also. Also, other than McCallie's Gordon Connell, who has a bigger role in the US National Team program. Just a thought. Considering Miller, Logsden, Henry, Morgan, Vandergriff, or Mullen, Chattanooga has an abundance of QUALITY wresting coaching and should be proud of that fact

How about Ooltewah assistant coach Danny Gilbert? He did win, I believe, a couple of state championships (pre-split and pre-class) while the head coach at East Ridge and has played a big role in the upturn of fortunes of Ooltewah wrestling (until recently a doormat to say the least). He is also considered one of the better referees in the state also. Also, other than McCallie's Gordon Connell, who has a bigger role in the US National Team program. Just a thought. Considering Miller, Logsden, Henry, Morgan, Vandergriff, or Mullen, Chattanooga has an abundance of QUALITY wresting coaching and should be proud of that fact

Gilbert is a great one all right. You are right about this area being fortunate to have many quality coaches.

it maybe easy to see who the best coaches in the state are by looking at their wrestler careers after college. and it may not just be the head coach but the whole chiaching staff that may help the wrestler develope mentally or physically so the quesrtion may be rephrased to "who has the best and most successful coaching staff."

it maybe easy to see who the best coaches in the state are by looking at their wrestler careers after college. and it may not just be the head coach but the whole chiaching staff that may help the wrestler develope mentally or physically so the quesrtion may be rephrased to "who has the best and most successful coaching staff."

Good point. The best coaches attract good staff most of whom in the world of highschool wrestling would be unpaid volunteers. In addition to looking at the careers and life successes after wrestling days are over for the athletes coached by the elite coaches look at how many of them ( the former athletes ) come back to the sport, either helping at their alma mater or coaching elsewhere.

Many, many good coaches to pick from for the honor of being " best ". I wouldn't hesitate to entrust my kids to any of those cited here for the mythical title of best coach in Tennessee. If I had to pick one... Logsdon is the man.

Good point. The best coaches attract good staff most of whom in the world of highschool wrestling would be unpaid volunteers. In addition to looking at the careers and life successes after wrestling days are over for the athletes coached by the elite coaches look at how many of them ( the former athletes ) come back to the sport, either helping at their alma mater or coaching elsewhere.

Many, many good coaches to pick from for the honor of being " best ". I wouldn't hesitate to entrust my kids to any of those cited here for the mythical title of best coach in Tennessee. If I had to pick one... Logsdon is the man.

I think Coach Brimer and Coach Walker from Greeneville,i think they are good coaches

I was just looking up stats and I see that of the most state championship wins goes to Gordan Connell, who has the most for any active coach (good to note that McCallie had only one championship before Connell came over from Hixson/MTSU). Morgan and Pat Simpson are next. Overall,,, Steve Logsdon is tied with Connell, with seven and his championships coming in a much shorter period of time before his huge decision to go home and be with his family for a few years or so. :unsure:

Looks like Bradley may catch up with Baylor in the next year or two. ...if Soddy doesn't cause some delay in that.

I was just looking up stats and I see that of the most state championship wins goes to Gordan Connell, who has the most for any active coach (good to note that McCallie had only one championship before Connell came over from Hixson/MTSU). Morgan and Pat Simpson are next. Overall,,, Steve Logsdon is tied with Connell, with seven and his championships coming in a much shorter period of time before his huge decision to go home and be with his family for a few years or so. :rolleyes:

Looks like Bradley may catch up with Baylor in the next year or two. ...if Soddy doesn't cause some delay in that.

Put an asterisk by victories after 1997 as in *Post split. There is a huge difference in the quality of both team and individual championships when the competition has been severly diluted.