TC Jennings

BigDogDaddy

Every year we have this same discussion. Why isn't so and so being more heavily recruited? Why doesn't Local School look at him?

Facts are that while these players are good, they are not great. SEC schools want great. Great to them fits a formula. At the QB level, the QB has to have certain measureables. If he is not 6'4", he can't see over the linemen to his passing lanes. If he is shorter, he must be able to run and scramble like Reggie Bush. RB's need to run no slower than a 4.5. No assistant coach is going to go out on a limb and risk his job over a kid who doesn't fit the formula.

Most of the athletes we're talking about are low D-1, 1-AA type athletes.

At 6' 1 1/2, 180 unfortunately TC doesn't fit that mold. I'll go back to the last great Brentwood QB, Austen Everson. At 6'2", 215, he didn't fit the mold-not good enough arm strength for the deep out in their opinion. He got a scholarship to a MAC team and was their starting QB this year.

TC will go where he is most comfortable and can fit into their system. He is not a projected SEC caliber contributor at this point.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year we have this same discussion. Why isn't so and so being more heavily recruited? Why doesn't Local School look at him?

Facts are that while these players are good, they are not great. SEC schools want great. Great to them fits a formula. At the QB level, the QB has to have certain measureables. If he is not 6'4", he can't see over the linemen to his passing lanes. If he is shorter, he must be able to run and scramble like Reggie Bush. RB's need to run no slower than a 4.5. No assistant coach is going to go out on a limb and risk his job over a kid who doesn't fit the formula.

At 6' 1 1/2, 180 unfortunately TC doesn't fit that mold. I'll go back to the last great Brentwood QB, Austen Everson. At 6'2", 215, he didn't fit the mold-not good enough arm strength for the deep out in their opinion. He got a scholarship to a MAC team and was their starting QB this year.

TC will go where he is most comfortable and can fit into their system. He is not a projected SEC caliber contributor at this point.

Top, you can give me all the formulas you want but I know if the vols had two players the claliber and character of Jennings and Gulmire they would not be 5-6 this year. They do not have a QB or Tb on their team as good as the two we speak of. If they do why have they not played them? I really believe the big weakness is the coaches are lazy(or can't coach) and believe if they recruit the best of the best on paper that they won't have to coach or scheme which there is not doubt they can't do either one.

Arian Foster?

I think sometimes people forget that at some point somebody thougth those kids at UT were as great as the ones we are pushing now and I'm sure UT was not the only ones. You put there high school stats against the stats of Gulmire and Jennings, I bet they are comparable.

I also find it kind of funny when you read about these things and people keep mentioning things like character, heart, drive, etc. It's usually only used when some player lacking in some areas that schools look for such as speed, size, strenght, etc.

I don't remember anyone saying that about the Reggie Bush's, Matt Leinarts of the world.

Now don't get me wrong, I've seen both play and I definate think Spencer Gulmire should get a look from some big schools. If not at RB, at SS on the defensive side of the ball. I only saw Jennings during the state game and he was impressive.

Right or wrong, whether you like it or not, let's face it, speed, size, and strength are going to be looked at before, character, heart, and drive. It's just the way it is, if you don't get that star athlete, then someone else will. You just better hope they don't come back to beat you or you can bet the fans will let you know about it.

Great Post....You are right on the mark with your formula....But I've got a better one for you .... the average football coach loses his job every three years ....maybe its time to take their formulas and throw them in the trash where they belong!!

True or False ?

The average Coach T fan could put together an O - Line comprised of 6'1" to 6'-2" 200lb to 235lb that because of foot skills, tanacity and down right meaness could manhndle the average SEC 6'6" 290 line?

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Great Post....You are right on the mark with your coachs recruiting formula....But I've got a better one for you .... the average football coach loses his job every three years ....maybe its time to take their formulas and throw them in the trash where they belong!!

To play at for a SEC or Top 25 team high school players must first pass the "LOOK TEST". If the school wants QB's to be a minium of 6'3" for their system they will not take a kid that is 6'2" and hope that they grow one inch. They evaluate each prospect for their specific position and part of the evaluation process is passing the "LOOK TEST". It's just the cold hard facts of big time college football. Do they sometimes miss on players, yes but the percentages show that they are correct much more than they are wrong.

There are dozens of "players" who don't fit the mold; that have heart and grit and love to play the game. They are winners. Every team needs them -but won't make a priority to go after them unless they have some extra scholarships left because they've missed out on some commitments.

They occaisionally show up at the high D-1 level. Sometimes they hit a growth spurt, or the mental side clicks, and it's a great story. Sometimes, can't miss athletes totally bomb. Most of the time these kids end up playing at D-III. They just love the game and the coaches love having them.

Gulmire is a good high school back. There are thousands of Spencer Gulmire's in the USA. He is not SEC caliber, but he will be adequate at lower levels. His speed is just not exceptional, and he has one other knock against him as a running back in today's D-1 football. One he could never overcome.

Jennings would best succeed in a system like he played in. That limits his options to start. His size limits him further.

Statistically, his stats were not much better in Region 6 than Bruce McCurdy or Michael Mikrut. He's of similar size to Mikrut. But those guys aren't being mentioned as D-1 prospects because of other limiting factors. If Jennings stats were off the charts, he'd get better looks. But in the type of offense he played, those stats were expected. They don't jump out at you.

I'm not trying to knock any one of these players, but I've been around long enough and know enough how it works to offer an honest view of their chances.

There are dozens of "players" who don't fit the mold; that have heart and grit and love to play the game. They are winners. Every team needs them -but won't make a priority to go after them unless they have some extra scholarships left because they've missed out on some commitments.

They occaisionally show up at the high D-1 level. Sometimes they hit a growth spurt, or the mental side clicks, and it's a great story. Sometimes, can't miss athletes totally bomb. Most of the time these kids end up playing at D-III. They just love the game and the coaches love having them.

Gulmire is a good high school back. There are thousands of Spencer Gulmire's in the USA. He is not SEC caliber, but he will be adequate at lower levels. His speed is just not exceptional, and he has one other knock against him as a running back in today's D-1 football. One he could never overcome.

Jennings would best succeed in a system like he played in. That limits his options to start. His size limits him further.

Statistically, his stats were not much better in Region 6 than Bruce McCurdy or Michael Mikrut. He's of similar size to Mikrut. But those guys aren't being mentioned as D-1 prospects because of other limiting factors. If Jennings stats were off the charts, he'd get better looks. But in the type of offense he played, those stats were expected. They don't jump out at you.

I'm not trying to knock any one of these players, but I've been around long enough and know enough how it works to offer an honest view of their chances.

Very accurate, rational and well thought out post.

Well thought out, but I must disagree.

I watched two QBs from this state that last year signed with SEC teams many times over their high school careers and Jennings has a better arm and better field presence than either of them, and the only thing he is lacking is physical attributes that the other two had to offer. I was also at the 1-AA championship Friday night and can tell you that Jennings as a senior in high school is better than either QB that started the game.

Yes he would need to go to more of a spread offense, but if a BCS coach would take a chance on him, redshirt him, and put him in the weight room for a year, then he can play 1-A football. Occasionally you have to look past the physical stuff a kid posesses and see if he possess "it" or not. Anyone who has ever watched TC play knows he has "it."

Spurrier built his Florida dynasty in the mid-90s on QBs that didn't fit the mold per se. You don't have to fit the mold to be successful in 1-A football. I have no doubt whatsoever that if a coach would give him a shot he would succeed in a BCS conference.

Well thought out, but I must disagree.

I watched two QBs from this state that last year signed with SEC teams many times over their high school careers and Jennings has a better arm and better field presence than either of them, and the only thing he is lacking is physical attributes that the other two had to offer. I was also at the 1-AA championship Friday night and can tell you that Jennings as a senior in high school is better than either QB that started the game.

Yes he would need to go to more of a spread offense, but if a BCS coach would take a chance on him, redshirt him, and put him in the weight room for a year, then he can play 1-A football. Occasionally you have to look past the physical stuff a kid posesses and see if he possess "it" or not. Anyone who has ever watched TC play knows he has "it."

Spurrier built his Florida dynasty in the mid-90s on QBs that didn't fit the mold per se. You don't have to fit the mold to be successful in 1-A football. I have no doubt whatsoever that if a coach would give him a shot he would succeed in a BCS conference.

I agree. Jennings might not have the physical presence yet, but the intangebles he carries are few and far between. I really think this kid has a bright future.