Powell's Larry Stephens Resigns as Head Coach

PowellFan

I'll be the first to tell you that anyone who has more qualifications than Matt Lowe should be considered first. Qualifications in the sense that that person has been coaching longer, knows more about the game as a whole, and is willing to communicate with parents. Just because he is a Powell boy, doesn't mean that he is more qualified than others. I feel like it's really important that if players are getting into trouble off the field and a parent is unaware of it, then it's the coaches responsiblity to communicate with the parent about such situations. Also, I don't think a head coach should just rely on parents to just discipline players. Players represent the school in general and especially by participating in athletics. Isn't it up to coaches to protect this integrity as well? See, that's involvement and a lot of responsibility and should not be taken lightly. Simply saying that because a person is from the community just isn't good enough.

On the plus side, the group of panthers coming back seem to be good kids and none of them to my knowledge was involved with the problems last year so a coach coming in now, won't be seeing that sort of behavior, at least hopefully. And I'm pretty sure they would find the guy a teaching position if they wanted him bad enough, afterall, they did manage to find Lowe one.

Intheknow:

I can't say I disagree with you but I am afraid that the number of applicants will be limited because the word is out (Don't take this wrong HTV) about the smoke screen of an interview process when Stephens was hired.

Word is out that Lowe is the the man so many won't bother and waste their time appling for a position that for all intend and puposes has been filled. The opinion in some cirlces is the administration has made up their mind and they are only going through the process because they have to by law. The same thing that happend when stephens was hired.

IMO Powell would do well with some new blood and a new way of thinking and doing things. But I am afraid that Lowe will be the choice. I am not saying thats bad. He has many positives to the table. what I am saying is the process is just a formality.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Lambert would fit in at Powell? He is from the old school of hard nosed football and does not put up with any showboating. Would this cause a problem with Lowe? But, he is a defensive guy and Lowe is offensive so they could match up well in this aspect. I also wonder if a new coach would give everyone a title like they have now.

Wild Rooster;

Don't you think the Powell players and coaches woulf respond well to a no nonsense coach?

What do you mean "everyone has a title."

I wonder if Lambert would fit in at Powell? He is from the old school of hard nosed football and does not put up with any showboating. Would this cause a problem with Lowe? But, he is a defensive guy and Lowe is offensive so they could match up well in this aspect. I also wonder if a new coach would give everyone a title like they have now.

I think he would be a great fit for the community and players. If his style didn't fit Lowe's then Lowe could adapt to Tony's or he could hit the road. That brings up another point. Will the head coach that is chosen be able to bring anyone with him or will he have the same staff that is there right now. That makes a big difference. With that being said I know that some applicants would be turned off by an administration and program that made the new HC use an "old" staff. It will all come down to whether or not Powell wants to do things right or do what everyone expects them to do. Hopefully the administration will shock everyone and really search for the right man for the job. It is Matt Lowe, then great. But, it may not be. Head coaching is more than x's and o's and the kids. There is a lot that is involved. That's why Tony would be the man for the job.

Intheknow:

I can't say I disagree with you but I am afraid that the number of applicants will be limited because the word is out (Don't take this wrong HTV) about the smoke screen of an interview process when Stephens was hired.

Word is out that Lowe is the the man so many won't bother and waste their time appling for a position that for all intend and puposes has been filled. The opinion in some cirlces is the administration has made up their mind and they are only going through the process because they have to by law. The same thing that happend when stephens was hired.

IMO Powell would do well with some new blood and a new way of thinking and doing things. But I am afraid that Lowe will be the choice. I am not saying thats bad. He has many positives to the table. what I am saying is the process is just a formality.

Don't worry about me taking anything wrongly from you, BC2. I respect you and appreciate the opportunity to have a conversation with somebody like yourself who isn't here just to throw stones and make accusations.

Honestly, I haven't heard that Lowe is "the man", but that he is one of the applicants. While I know Matt well and believe he will be an outstanding head coach one day, there's no guarantee that the day is now. The administration is trying to find the best fit for the position today.

Is Lowe going to be the choice now? I don't know. I do believe that somebody with a track record of success as a head coach is going to get a great deal of consideration.

I'm not Wild Rooster, but I do have an option on your two questions to him:

Yes, I believe that the players, parents, and Powell fans are thirsty for a no nonsense coach.

As for "titles", Phil Wilks is titled as the Associate Head Coach and co-defensive coordinator. Bobby Dagley is a co-defensive coordinator. Matt Lowe and Daryle Smith are co-offensive coordinators.

HTV, Why did Stevens give all these titles? Was it to keep these good coaches around and not lose them to another oc or dc position at another school? Did they call the plays or just help in the game plan? I know that Lowe called the plays without a headset and Parton called the plays from the booth the year before, did Wilkes call the defense through Dagley or Dagley through Wilks?

HTV, Why did Stevens give all these titles? Was it to keep these good coaches around and not lose them to another oc or dc position at another school? Did they call the plays or just help in the game plan? I know that Lowe called the plays without a headset and Parton called the plays from the booth the year before, did Wilkes call the defense through Dagley or Dagley through Wilks?

They really all deserved titles. While there are "co" offensive and defensive coordinators, each has specific responsibilties and confer on game planning.

Phil sits in the booth and calls the defense, while Bobby makes sure the correct personnel is on the field and works with in game defensive adjustments on the sidelines.

The reason Matt doesn't wear a headset all of the time is because he is on the field with Daryle. Matt calls the plays, but he and Daryle are talking during the game and making adjustments. Matt does have a headset available and he confers with the coaches in the booth as he needs to.

Phil's Associate Head Coaching title warranted. He was second in command to Coach Stephens, and with his experience and comprehensive football mind, he should have been.

Partin did not call the offensive plays last year. He was there to call the defense. Partin made offensive suggestions. Matt was calling plays, with imput from the head coach.

Edited by HTV

I think that if the administrators at Powell want to get the right guy for the job rather than the guy the "right" people want, then they should form some sort of community board that will offer input and opinions. And why can't that be done? Who do we call? I know a lot of people who will be very unhappy if Lowe gets the job.

That sounds good in theory, but it really isn't practical. There are a lot of variables that the public doesn't understand in making a hire like this. Whoever is hired has to be a teacher, first and foremost. Their certifications and available teaching positions have to be matched and filled. It's not necessarily about the "best head football coach out there", but the best available fit for the position.

That sounds good in theory, but it really isn't practical. There are a lot of variables that the public doesn't understand in making a hire like this. Whoever is hired has to be a teacher, first and foremost. Their certifications and available teaching positions have to be matched and filled. It's not necessarily about the "best head football coach out there", but the best available fit for the position.

Isn't it assumed anyway by applicants that they have to be teachers? And what about this angle, doesn't Powell have a lot of teachers who are NOT tenured? Meaning that there's no guarentee that their positions will be held at the school til next year? I'm thinking what BCat is saying about Lowe getting the position is true though because he's already in place is a reality though, unfortunately. Guess we can hope for the assistants, eh? geesh... Regardless, that's still pitiful for the players because it only supports the idea that it's not about how hard you work, but who you know. Guess Powell manages to keep that message alive.

Edited by Ntheknow2

Isn't it assumed anyway by applicants that they have to be teachers? And what about this angle, doesn't Powell have a lot of teachers who are NOT tenured? Meaning that there's no guarentee that their positions will be held at the school til next year? I'm thinking what BCat is saying about Lowe getting the position is true though because he's already in place is a reality though, unfortunately. Guess we can hope for the assistants, eh? geesh... Regardless, that's still pitiful for the players because it only supports the idea that it's not about how hard you work, but who you know. Guess Powell manages to keep that message alive.

From what i've been told, teachers at Powell tend to stay at Powell for long periods of time. There isn't a lot of turnover within the faculty. That's why so many Powell coaches have to teach at other schools.

Once again Lowe is the only choice they are going to have. The county commissioner indorses Lowe, and we all know he has power. I would be willing to bet that the Stooksbury guy, who is running for school board ,indorses Lowe. I believe he is a Powell guy. The principal would make some enemies if she went against this political power. Does Lowe live in Powell? I know the community members would like him to live in the community.

Powell should strongly consider giving Coach Lambert an interview, if he has applied. I played under him many years ago and I'll never forget all of the things he has done for me and my family. If Powell gives him an interview, things will get interesting. Any program who passes him over is going to feel pretty silly when he does get his shot because he will win in a hurry.