Changes the TSSAA needs to make

MIDTN

"Stupid is as stupid does"

We are not talking about holding the door for your mamma at Shoneys after the game, Bubba! We are talking about true equal treatment. If the late game slot is better, then the girls should get an even number of them. If it is not better, then whats the problem with taking turns. I'll promise you this, if they start alternating late and early games, those 6:00 start times will be a thing of the past.

As for the number of cheerleaders why not 50? Better yet, lets have more opportunity in basketball and add a sixth player. Now that would be stupid.

Coaches used to be required to sit the bench during play and I remember one at UCLA that did pretty well that way. Most of the standing and ranting is ego driven.

You act like there are only five players on a basketball team. Do you realize that most school have around 15 varsity players? Some schools also have a JV and Freshman team. How many JV and Freshman cheerleading squads are there again???

That one coach you remeber sitting on the bench at UCLA had some exceptional players. Don't really have to yell with brains and talent like that on the floor. I know a coach who has done pretty good making an absolute fool of himself...Bobby Knight. Different people have different styles.

Your are making our point for us Guns. If your players are that out of control they deserve to pay the price. The players should play the game, not the coach. If one teams players are more in tune with the game and what their coach wants they shogain from it. This all started when the Michigan player got a T for calling a time out they did not have. Today when kids screw up, instead of working harder to teach them, we do it for them. Next thing you know they can't make their own decisions.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your are making our point for us Guns. If your players are that out of control they deserve to pay the price. The players should play the game, not the coach. If one teams players are more in tune with the game and what their coach wants they shogain from it. This all started when the Michigan player got a T for calling a time out they did not have. Today when kids screw up, instead of working harder to teach them, we do it for them. Next thing you know they can't make their own decisions.

Timeouts are about game management. Players are there to play and coaches are on the sidelines to manage. Coaches can give players the option of calling timeouts, but it is the coach's responsiblity to maintain the best interest for his/her team and put them in the best position to win. Coaches don't shoot, dribble, pass, nor play defense for the players; which produce much bigger decisions to be made during a basketball game than calling a timeout. Coaches have the right to decide who to play, what defense to run, what offense to run; why not a timeout to make adjustments or "help" his/her team whenever possible? Is that not what they (meaning coaches AND timeouts) are there for?

1. How about some minimum speed and endurance requirements for referees. I'm tired of seeing transition calls under the basket made by a fat guy clutching his chest on a dead waddle from the foul line. Get in shape, get in position, or get out.

2. Why do we start some games @ 6:00? Try leaving work @ 5:00 or 5:30 and making that run. Other than the T.H.P., who is behind that. Schedule games with parents and players in mind (long trips on Fri & Sat) and standardize start times across the state, please.

3. Play the boys game first every other game. WHY NOT? Don't give me that boys draw more line, until they try drawing a crowd @ 6:00.

4. You need 5 players on the floor, why do some schools need 35 cheerleaders (that do not lead cheers)? Can we have a set squad size limit, say 10. Anymore, most of them just stand there anyway, which is preferable to the "Deja vu club" routine I saw the other night. Where are thier mothers?

5. When did high school coaches start standing up the whole game and calling time outs from the bench? If you have not taught it after weeks of practice, screaming it as they run by is a waste. And if they can hear you, why can't you tell them to call time out ?

6. While we are on the subject, when did we decide that these mid-air time outs would be ok. Never should a time out be allowed to avoid a turn over, including a five count on an inbounds play.

I have more and I'm sure you will too.

1. I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of refs calling charges or blocks from halfcourt on a fast break

2. While I do agree with the part about the long trips being on Fridays and Saturdays, and will say there would be some merit in starting the games later, I'll have to say as a student-athlete, I like early rather than late. I know there would be more adults there if the games started later but there would be fewer students. When you play 28 regular season games plus the tournament, you start to appreciate getting home to start your homework at 10:00 rather than 11:30

3. That is silly; everyone knows that even if the boys played at 2:30 in the morning they'd draw more fans than the girls. And I'm not trying to be sexist, because I love watching our girls' games, but let's call a spade a spade. Just look at the NBA and the WNBA-same concept; smaller scale.

4. Although I haven't seen any of the "strip club" routines this year, I have in the past and see your point. But when it comes to the number of cheerleaders on a squad, setting a limit is useless and if you were going to set a limit, 10 is an awful number. Many varsity basketball teams have 15 players (if not more), so why limit the cheerleaders?

5. As far as I'm concerned, a coach can stand on his head and bark like a dog as long as he wins games and runs his program in an honorable manner.

6. A time out should be allowed as long as you have a time out to call and you have possession of the ball, including in-bounds plays.

A lot of people like to say that the girls game is boring to watch because it is not as fast as a guys game. One way thing TSSAA could do is put the shot clock in high school games. I like this idea not only to speed up the game, but I also thinks it rewards defenses and might stop some team from playing stall ball. I might be totally wrong but I think the shot clock might really help the high school game.

I agree with your first statement about the horn. The horn was implemented so that the refs wouldn't have to be concerned about subs waiting at the table and they could focus their attention on something really important, like officiating the game. Now we've taken a step back.

Although your statement in #2 about taking away a good defensive play is correct , I still think that the coach needs to have the ability to call timeout when he chooses and shouldn't have to rely on some 14 - 18 year old that is geeked up on adrenaline (1.) hearing his request for calling time out; (2.) comprehending that the coach wants a time out; and (3.) being able to clearly communicate to the official that he and his coach would like to have a time out.

#3 is just plain stupid.

i just think if a defensive player is good enough to force a jump ball his team should be awarded the basketball same as a five second call in guarding a player.

must not be too stupid as ncaa rules comittee is considering it for college hoops

Edited by senator

When basketball stopped the jump ball on a held ball and started alternating the ball it was called a held ball. Now for what ever reason when a held ball is called it when two players touch it at the same time, not really holding it. Please let the players play. If they hold it for 1-2 seconds then make the call.

Some very good suggestions.

1. I would like to see 2 ref's instead of 3, I think the officiating was better and not as watered down.

2. I would like to see a 40-45 second shot clock.

3. I would like to see a change in the Tourney. No sense in a team in the same district having to beat each other 3 times to get into the state tourney, plus it keeps the state tourney from being a joke. Or at least change up which districts/regions/sub-states play each other. If we want the top sixteen to eight teams having a chance at state then this needs to happen. Nothing like watching a team get blown out by 30 in the state tourney. This could keep things more interesting instead of seeing the same teams in state every year.

4. Using the horn for subs needs to be reinnstated. I hate everyone having to yell at the officials to get a sub into the game. And as long as the ball is not in play a coach should be able to sub, the rule that a player has to be at the table at the time of the dead ball has cost people games. How can coach get a player in foul trouble out unless they are psychic.

5. Officials for district tourneys need to be from other associations like the region. Too much favoritism and animonisity from regular season for the officials to ref without bringing in personal feelings.

6. Coaches need to be able to blackball officials that they feel have some personal conflicts. (such as: I would not want a former player from a particular school in our district to officiate any of our games or have a ref who had given me a T 'unjustly' to ref another of my games)

7. Ref's need to be taught how to explain a call or give a coach an explanation of what a player is doing without automatically giving a technical first.

8. Tn needs to go to 4 divisions in all sports (5 is too much and 3 is too little)

1. I would like to see 2 ref's instead of 3, I think the officiating was better and not as watered down.

3. I would like to see a change in the Tourney. No sense in a team in the same district having to beat each other 3 times to get into the state tourney, plus it keeps the state tourney from being a joke. Or at least change up which districts/regions/sub-states play each other. If we want the top sixteen to eight teams having a chance at state then this needs to happen. Nothing like watching a team get blown out by 30 in the state tourney. This could keep things more interesting instead of seeing the same teams in state every year.

4. Using the horn for subs needs to be reinnstated. I hate everyone having to yell at the officials to get a sub into the game. And as long as the ball is not in play a coach should be able to sub, the rule that a player has to be at the table at the time of the dead ball has cost people games. How can coach get a player in foul trouble out unless they are psychic.

5. Officials for district tourneys need to be from other associations like the region. Too much favoritism and animonisity from regular season for the officials to ref without bringing in personal feelings.

6. Coaches need to be able to blackball officials that they feel have some personal conflicts. (such as: I would not want a former player from a particular school in our district to officiate any of our games or have a ref who had given me a T 'unjustly' to ref another of my games)

7. Ref's need to be taught how to explain a call or give a coach an explanation of what a player is doing without automatically giving a technical first.

8. Tn needs to go to 4 divisions in all sports (5 is too much and 3 is too little)

best ones yet.. nice job

Great post.

I could not agree more about two refs. I have seen them wait to see if someone else will make the hard calls over and over. I'm even for letting them split the money from the third ref, if it will allow us to attract better people.

Why do we have district tourneys after a 14 game district schedule? Send the top four to the region and send the sectional teams to the state.