NYC High School Girl scores....113!

just4fun

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way anyone scores a 113 points unless they're allowed to score 113 points. Heck, put her on the dang foul line when she hits the 70 mark and is the only starter still on the floor. Doesn't take a political science major to figure out she's looking to break a record, whether you know what the record is or not. If she wants the record, and her knothead coach wants her to get it, they're gonna get at the line. One point at a time until every player on the team is a notch in the book. When we foul every player out, we forfeit. But we don't stand around and watch a "player" make a mockery of the game, with the blessings of a "coach".

I made this comment today in a round-about way (something like, if he wouldn't put her on the bench - I'd help him make that decision).

I wouldn't consider it unsportsman-like or John Cheney like in that situation.

She'd be fouled on those open layups - or she'd at least earn it - and she'd earn her points, one-by-one at the free-throw line.

The record is meaningless, and in my opinion a disgrace. I can see no justification for ever allowing a player to score 113 points in a 105 point game. If that coach is not fired or severely disciplined, then be assured no class or leadership exists in the administration of that school system.

Edited by coachh17

The opposing coach noted in the paper today said he told his team not play defense in the second half once it became apparent what was going on as a form of protest. The reason she shot so well-------

uncontested lay ups for an entire half

doesn't sound quit as impressive now does it

Man am I a dinosaur, I can remember when showing any dis repect for an opponent was considered a show of weakness but I guess now with a get up and pound your chest after running for a 4 yard gain or making a tackle 5 yards down the field this is just how it is now.

The leading girls scorer for a career here was playing against a team in around 1992 from Chattanooga. The team was totally outmanned, and the player had something around 25 points in the first quarter. I believe she had 30 in the game, played only a couple of more minutes. She could have easily scored 50 or 60 or even more but what would that have proven? Later that season she set the school girls' single game scoring record with 42, but her team won only by a few points against a good team and every point made a difference in the outcome. Another girl here had 11 three pointers and something around 38 points in the first three quarters in a blowout win and didn't play in the fourth, a few years later. There was no reason, even though she probably could have scored 50. The coach needs to realize some accomplishments aren't really worthy of recognition when going about them the way he did.

Edited by Indian

I wonder how Vivian Stringer or her high school coach would have felt if a frustrated player on the other team took her legs out from under her and blew out her ACL? It's not the kids fault. She'd have sat on the bench if that's where her coach would have put her. I hope what goes around comes around for this jerk. Everybody in their district should run up the score on his teams any time they get a chance in the future.

All I know is I'd have a hard time scoring 113 if I were on the court by myself! I'm not gonna say its right or wrong, 'cause I've got mixed feelings about it, but one thing I do know is that we shouldn't blame the girl. She was just playing the game, and I hope all this doesn't turn into some Kobe-type situation.

Edited by defender25

I guess thats why Summit hasn't won an NCAA championship since 1998. The girl is an outstanding player. Who knows what she is being taught in regards to team concept, but I can guess that she can help Rutgers next year. I really don't think games like that come to easy in the NY PSAL or Catholic leagues on a nightly basis. Is scoring 50 points scored or more in order to break a school, league, or state record ever debated? Please, only if someone has seen tape of the game or was actually present there to witness the record can judge it as a great night or a farce. Rock on!!!