Maryville Snubbed by PrepXtra top 10

MRFan4U

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville beat Bearden last night and play Farragut in championship game. Should be a tough one playing Farragut at home, but the Rebs have the talent to do well against anyone. Maryville is a "dangerous and multi talented team"........

Congrats to the Rebels and a well deserved victory last night. I wasn't at the game, but saw the highlights and read the news sentinal. Good luck Friday night against Farragut and hopefully 4-AAA will compete very well in the Region Tournament next week. Too bad it's all the way up in Sevier County...that is the farthest place to travel in the region, other than Campbell County. From what I read in the paper, White played very well, but the Rebels dominated the glass.

The Big guys played tough , finally using their size and blocking ability to a big advantage. They will have to do so against the bigger Farragut while stopping their 3 point shooters. Hopefully they will play man to man and keep after them. Farragut unlike Bearden has a good inside game with tall post players who can shoot as well from the 3 point line as they do in the paint. The loud hometeam crowd will make it even tougher as William Blount experienced. Maryville needs to work on their foul shooting , errant passes and will need to make more 3's to beat Farragut. I predict the team who makes the most 3's will win this one.

maryville beating bearden is no real suprise. bearden has been overrated all year long. i dont think tony white is as good as everyone thinks. they talk about him like hes "lee humphry". thats asinine!

The kid is anything but overated, he put up 33 last night. I would bet he has over 10 games with 30 or more and one with 51. Did Lee ever do that? If he had Lee's size then he would be a sure UT signee, dont give up on him he is only 17 next year he is prolly gonna go to a prep school and bulk up and well see what he makes of his awesome game.

The kid is anything but overated, he put up 33 last night. I would bet he has over 10 games with 30 or more and one with 51. Did Lee ever do that? If he had Lee's size then he would be a sure UT signee, dont give up on him he is only 17 next year he is prolly gonna go to a prep school and bulk up and well see what he makes of his awesome game.

Lee may have not put up numbers like those in a game in and game out BUT there are alot of things he does/did much better than Tony. Tony struggles defensively at times and Lee was a lock down defender. I think back to the game when they played at Bearden when Lee was matched up with Kyle Cruze as a prime example. Lee basically held Kyle scoreless when he started guarding him after halftime and proceeded to score 15 points in about 3 minutes. Billy Donovan has said several times that Lee is his top perimeter defender. I don't think you'll hear anyone (short of his dad) that would say that about Tony. His also made those that played around him much better by doing small things you'd like in a point guard (LIKE PASSING AS AN EXAMPLE). Lee was the best player I've seen in the area for the past 20 years moving without the ball and using screens. He should have been in the weight room long before prep school. Tony gets all his points by shooting like crazy. No wonder he had shoulder problems. Was it tendinitis from overuse?

PLEASE DON'T COMPARE LEE HUMPHREY TO TONY WHITE-IT MAKES EVEN A W-B FAN SOUND STUPID AND IS EMBARASSING TO LEE.

maryville beating bearden is no real suprise. bearden has been overrated all year long. i dont think tony white is as good as everyone thinks. they talk about him like hes "lee humphry". thats asinine!

That's an ignorant comment. Tony White is not overrated there partner....when you put up 51 on your arch rival, that is a sign of a pretty good ball player. Why even compare Humphrey and White. Both are excellent ball players and both excelled at what they do. Lee hit a huge shot against the Vols last night and just shows that he is an SEC callibar player. White once he gets to prep school and gets some size on him will be an excellent ball player. If you were at the Bearden Farragut name, you would not be saying that he is overrated. He single handly won that game for the Bulldogs. Farragut attempted to have two guys guarding him and he out dribbled them all. When you can create your own shot like Tony does, you usally are not considered overrated. When you avg over 22 a game like Tony does, that is not overrated my friend...that is flat out a Ball Player, just like Humphrey is. Over rated...you gotta be kiddin me...please next time Jimmy...THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!!!

Lee may have not put up numbers like those in a game in and game out BUT there are alot of things he does/did much better than Tony. Tony struggles defensively at times and Lee was a lock down defender. I think back to the game when they played at Bearden when Lee was matched up with Kyle Cruze as a prime example. Lee basically held Kyle scoreless when he started guarding him after halftime and proceeded to score 15 points in about 3 minutes. Billy Donovan has said several times that Lee is his top perimeter defender. I don't think you'll hear anyone (short of his dad) that would say that about Tony. His also made those that played around him much better by doing small things you'd like in a point guard (LIKE PASSING AS AN EXAMPLE). Lee was the best player I've seen in the area for the past 20 years moving without the ball and using screens. He should have been in the weight room long before prep school. Tony gets all his points by shooting like crazy. No wonder he had shoulder problems. Was it tendinitis from overuse?

PLEASE DON'T COMPARE LEE HUMPHREY TO TONY WHITE-IT MAKES EVEN A W-B FAN SOUND STUPID AND IS EMBARASSING TO LEE.

IrishBball:

You really are a jackass. I take back my apology. You sound like an AAU coach that wanted White to play on his team, but was spurned. White is a super kid, competitor and a solid player. He does put up better numbers than Humphrey from the guard position, so it is not unreasonable to compare the two players. Humphrey is a quality Division I player. I am sure that he is not "embarrassed" by comments made on some message board that he could care less about. You should be embarrassed by constantly criticizing area players and coaches. Why don't you take some time to self reflect on why you are such a jackass? I know who are and the next time we meet, I am going to be in your face.

Tony White may be good and all that jazz, but his TEAM got beat last night and that is what matters. His TEAMMATE was standing wide open in the corner last nightr and he did not hit the open man. At this time of the year your TEAM has to be playing well not an individual. Tony is a good player no question, but now that they have lost it will hurt them in the region with a bad first round draw.

Maryville played very well last night and are coming around very well at the right time just like Farragut is also. But the sleeper still for teh region in my mind may be Willie B. They are a very well coached team and will find a way to get the job done. Good luck to Bearden, Farragut, Maryville, and Willie B next week.

IrishBball:

You really are a jackass. I take back my apology. You sound like an AAU coach that wanted White to play on his team, but was spurned. White is a super kid, competitor and a solid player. He does put up better numbers than Humphrey from the guard position, so it is not unreasonable to compare the two players. Humphrey is a quality Division I player. I am sure that he is not "embarrassed" by comments made on some message board that he could care less about. You should be embarrassed by constantly criticizing area players and coaches. Why don't you take some time to self reflect on why you are such a jackass? I know who are and the next time we meet, I am going to be in your face.

How do you figure he's put up better guard numbers than Lee? Guard numbers include much more than just scoring. Can you honestly say having watched both players numerous times that I'm wrong about the defensive abilities? Also compare the assists and rebounds. I don't know the exact numbers but I bet scoring averages aren't that different. Name me all the big time schools that are recruiting Tony like they did Lee! Lee is a quality big time D-1 player that had offers from everyone.Tony actually played down an age group from his grade in AAU. We talked to Tony about playing with us after his 8th grade year. He choose to go another route, and by the way we've beaten his team everytime we've played them! If you will look, I've critized very few players and you can read other posts where I've said Tony was the best scoring guard in the area but not the best point guard. That's not criticizing him. I just said he shoots alot and has limited assists for a point guard. I've given props to alot of kids not just the ones that played for the Zags. The one point I'll give you is that Lee wouldn't be embarrassed about this. See the UK Hoops post about Tony and his teammate being open.

I also figure that if I can carry Lee Smith out of the gym over my shoulder, I'm not worried about you being in my face. My not a jackass - just a realist!

Edited by IrishBBall

TONY WHITE JR....CLASS AAA Mr. Basketball Finalist....yet he's overrated!!! Please now. The Kid can flat out play and it is evidence by his selction as a finalist for Mr. Basketball. You may be the only one who thinks that Tony White is not good....now Lee and Tony both have something in common