Every key stroke must have been made

CPGB06

How about showing some ethical behavior and not recruiting, even if in a different organization? Would that be out the window once they're not regulated?

it doesn't matter, we're d---- if we do, d---- if we don't. If we recruit kids outside of the traditional student demographic, then we are stealing the best/brightest kids from the public schools and engaging in "unethical" behavior. If we don't do it, then we are an elitist organization that ignores the community around it and cares only about serving the needs of the most privileged members of society.

I think "recruiting" will look a lot different if there is no TSSAA defining "undue influence." I'm sure most people just take that to mean "yep, it's college football recruiting, with $100 handshakes, shopping sprees at Foot Locker, hot tub parties at boosters' mansions, private jet trips, strip club visits in Hummer limmos, boosters paying off elementary school teachers," etc., etc. What it will mean, imo, in reality is that a generic message like "please visit our school and learn about our financial aid program, schedule a visit etc." to a large audience will become a lot more specific and personalized to those that meet the admissions criteria.

Edited by big red big blue

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What it will mean, imo, in reality is that a generic message like "please visit our school and learn about our financial aid program, schedule a visit etc." to a large audience will become a lot more specific and personalized to those that meet the admissions criteria.

I think this is a VERY true statement. Instead of having to advertise with a very broad brush, those dollars and that effort will be spent building one on one relationships with kids that are good fits for whatever reason ... like academics or (gasp) athletics.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It matters very little what we feel. The only person that matters now is Brentwood Academy and what they want to do and how far they want to go to collect their legal fees. Folks this battle is over and done with and Brentwood Academy is going to call the shots. I don't like it at all but we had all better get ready for big changes. The only good thing that will come out of this is that the student/athletes in Tennessee will be able to honestly be refered to as a STATE CHAMPION in the individual sports.

Edited by cbg

I think this is a VERY true statement. Instead of having to advertise with a very broad brush, those dollars and that effort will be spent building one on one relationships with kids that are good fits for whatever reason ... like academics or (gasp) athletics.

a lesson learned at MBA was that students who came in from "non-traditional" backgrounds were more likely to succeed all-around at the school if they were athletes. It is much easier for a child to be happy and be accepted socially if he is a part of a team. All of that translated into better performance in school. the most attrition always comes from kids that aren't playing sports or aren't heavily involved in some other sort of after school activity. so, naturally, the school has incentive to seek out kids that do more than just satisfy the admissions criteria.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It matters very little what we feel. The only person that matters now is Brentwood Academy and what they want to do and how far they want to go to collect their legal fees. Folks this battle is over and done with and Brentwood Academy is going to call the shots. I don't like it at all but we had all better get ready for big changes. The only good thing that will come out of this is that the student/athletes in Tennessee will be able to honestly be refered to as a STATE CHAMPION in the individual sports.

in your previous post, you wrote that you believed if BA forced upon the TSSAA all the legal fees due it, that the TSSAA would be forced to get that money from its member institutions. Do you know that for a fact? I have assumed that the TSSAA has some sort of litigation insurance that will pay out any settlement rendered against it.

in your previous post, you wrote that you believed if BA forced upon the TSSAA all the legal fees due it, that the TSSAA would be forced to get that money from its member institutions. Do you know that for a fact? I have assumed that the TSSAA has some sort of litigation insurance that will pay out any settlement rendered against it.

They should have insurance but my educated guess is that the insurance has a cap on it and the member institutions would be responsible for the balance. This legal bill will not be small (IMO probably over 1 million) and the insurance policy will not cover everything. They could also have a clause in the policy where if the TSSAA did something wrong the insurance company will not pay the claim. The insurance company will search for every loophole possible so they don't have to pay this large claim. Let's remember that the insurance company has a staff of attorneys to fight this and we know the TSSAA is probably short on funds. Would they like or could they afford another 5 or 10 year legal battle?

Edited by cbg

This is great! I come by to see if you guys have solved these problems yet, and I see these ads above the Public/Private debate threads on CoachT boards:

Private Schools for Teens

Provides resources & alternatives for Parents with a struggling teen.

Kids Need Your Help

Kids Need to See to Learn You can help for free

Start a School Today

Engaging Educational Software All Main Subjects

This is great! I come by to see if you guys have solved these problems yet, and I see these ads above the Public/Private debate threads on CoachT boards:

Private Schools for Teens

Provides resources & alternatives for Parents with a struggling teen.

Kids Need Your Help

Kids Need to See to Learn You can help for free

Start a School Today

Engaging Educational Software All Main Subjects

Google ads match up to keywords on individual pages.

How about showing some ethical behavior and not recruiting, even if in a different organization? Would that be out the window once they're not regulated?

What do you mean not recruiting? Private schools recruit students. If they went out and blatently recruited athletes then that would be against the rules right? What is so very amazing is that public schools are so dang paranoid about private schools recruiting athletes. They throw out all these accusations that private schools recruit their athletes. Yet if anyone would use just one ounce of common sense they`d know that if private schools were actually out recruiting kids for sports that sooner or later they`d recruit a kid that did not like private schools. I mean there are so many of you guys out there right. Surely to goodness we`d have private schools being punished for recruiting.

If recruiting athletes is so bad like a lot of you want to portray it then private schools must be very lucky that they haven`t contacted any of you private haters. I mean what are the odds of that? All these succesful private schools out there recruiting everyday and they have never recruited anyone that would turn them in.

CBG, if the legal fees are passed on to the members, then all the privates are members of the TSSAA so they will be footing the bill along with the publics. It will not just be public schools that will foot the bill. Brentwood Academy will be helping to pay its own bill, too. But they can smile when they write the check. :rolleyes: Of course, it will be worded as a "fee" for something else, but we will all know what it is for.

Also, there will not be four classifications only. Too much money to be made on the play-offs with the current set-up. That will not change. Why do you think there are three Div. 2 classes? It sure ain't because of the large number of teams.

Also, the publics will not be "forced to sign" anything. You can't "make " a school play someone. Any team can elect to play a non-district schedule and avoid anyone. There is even precedent for a team to play a non-district schedule and still be allowed to play in the district tourney as the last seed (DuPont High School 1982 since you like legalities). There is nothing keeping the publics or privates from pulling out and starting their own association as well.

The TSSAA, for all its problems, still fills a MUCH needed role. Without it there will be many more problems than there are now. Book it.