The Limbaugh Plan

westtennsports

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides of the argument.

But using the 'Top 3' system, Siegel, a 7 seed, doesn't make the regionals last year. But they get the senior shortstop back late in the year, win the first game of the district tournament AT the #2 seed against the #2 seed in extra innings, win some more close, great, ballgames and ... they are playing on Monday night.

Some will say "What about football". But we already have 5 + divisions in football.... Only 3 + in other sports. And football is more of a game where the dominant TEAM wins most of the time and produces far more revenue...

IMHO hosting the district tournament is great incentive to winning the regular season....

OK, here is another plan from me, actually two and there is a little control statewide in this one...

version 1

you have an 8 week reg season in which you can play a 28 game schedule with a cap maximum of 32 games period. including up to 3 tournaments valued at 3 games each.

district tourney - all teams participate; if your district has more than 4 teams the first round is single elimination (play in if you will) no guaranteed byes for reg. season winners; this sets all districts up for a 4 team double elimination tournament the rest of the way Play in game is on Tuesday and the 4 team double starts on Thursday and ends on Saturday(weather permitting)

regional tourney - top two teams from two districts ( 9 and 10, etc) play a 4 team double elimination tourney. thur, fri, sat

sectional tourney - top two teams from 2 regions (5 and 6, etc) play a 4 team double elim same as above

state tourney - final four all sectional winners play a 4 team double elimination tourney

version 2

9 week season - max 32 games as above

district tourney - same as above

region tourney - take 4 districts ( 9,10,11,12) top 2 teams play in a single elim first round, double elim 4 team tourney the rest of the way. combining the region and sectional tourney's essentially

state tourney - top two teams from each region play in a single elim first round, double elim 4 team state tourney

Edited by jdmtpb

All these plans have merit. But it sounds like you are assuming all these teams can come up with a top notch 5 man pitching staff. If you want good, fair games then you want to see the best the team can produce. Most good teams have 2 or 3 good pitchers. Some have more, but generally it tappers off. Pitching rotation and rest are important. I'm sure Vanderbilts coach would not be happy and may even forbid Mike Minor from pitching on 2 days rest. And thats what would happen. Teams would go with their top 2.

Tucker's Gap!! I have been down that road many times.

Let me be the devil's advocate, Riverdale finishes the regular season with a 14-0 district record in one of the most competitve districts in the state. Let's say that 7-AAA doesn't give an automatic berth into the region and Riverdale goes two-and-out in the district tournament. Do they still deserve to go to the region? I think they deserve to go. Does a team with a 10-20 overall record and 3-9 district record deserve to be in the regon. I don't think so. A third place team out of a tough district can be a very dangerous team. Take 9-AAA for example, Beech, Mt. Juliet, and Hendersonville are three very good teams. Plus a third place team could be a team that got off to a slow start, had a key injury, that really came on at the end of the season. Nobody would want to face them in the region.

You worry about the teams that don't finish in the top three, look at it this way. Those teams have a chance to finish their season out with a win. That is is something that can make you feel good going into the off season. For a graduating senior, that will be something he will never forget. Winning his last high school baseball game. Also, what a motivational tool a coach could use to motivate his team for the next season. It should give those players and coaches extra incentive to finish in the top three spots and qualify for the region.

IMHO, the regular season should mean more. Under the current format, it just boils down to is how you did during the district tournament.

that is what ilike about 7AAA they award the regular season champ with an automatic bid. And the rest have to fight for the second spot. I do have 1 question you said under your plan that the district winner would host the district tournament but in the same paragraph you said there would be no tournament well what did you mean?

The TSSAA does not care how district Champions and Runner-ups are determined. Each district can decide their champion by any method. So, if you disagree with how your district is decided, then you must let your Baseball coach know.

Limbaugh's plan is for the REGION WEEK...I agree his plan is better because it will prove which teams have the best or deepest pitching. The downside is the expense of more games. We umpires would love this formula because the games would be more meaningful.

one correction - there is no 'substate' - the regional winner goes to Spring Fling

good idea.................question: why is there such inequity in the number of teams in the districts throughout the state?...............i know that teams change classes from time to time and that new schools open from time to time...........please don't tell me about travel since we have teams in our district that are at least 90 miles apart..........i don't ask this because i have a beef just curious how come it's this way

Edited by riddlers

Tucker's Gap!! I have been down that road many times.

Let me be the devil's advocate, Riverdale finishes the regular season with a 14-0 district record in one of the most competitve districts in the state. Let's say that 7-AAA doesn't give an automatic berth into the region and Riverdale goes two-and-out in the district tournament. Do they still deserve to go to the region? I think they deserve to go. Does a team with a 10-20 overall record and 3-9 district record deserve to be in the regon. I don't think so. A third place team out of a tough district can be a very dangerous team. Take 9-AAA for example, Beech, Mt. Juliet, and Hendersonville are three very good teams. Plus a third place team could be a team that got off to a slow start, had a key injury, that really came on at the end of the season. Nobody would want to face them in the region.

You worry about the teams that don't finish in the top three, look at it this way. Those teams have a chance to finish their season out with a win. That is is something that can make you feel good going into the off season. For a graduating senior, that will be something he will never forget. Winning his last high school baseball game. Also, what a motivational tool a coach could use to motivate his team for the next season. It should give those players and coaches extra incentive to finish in the top three spots and qualify for the region.

IMHO, the regular season should mean more. Under the current format, it just boils down to is how you did during the district tournament.

I'm not saying I agree that the regular season should get you an automatic bid, but I know of a case where that very scenario you describe happened. In '03 Loudon went 10-0 during the regular season in 4AA. The 4AA format gave the top two seeds (Loudon and Anderson County) a bye through the first (single-elimination) round. So, you had a 4-team double elimination tournament after the first round. Even with UT pitcher Aaron Everette (a sophomore that year) starting the first game, Loudon went two-and-through, with 4 seed Lenoir City winning the tournament and AC runner-up.

There are two ways to argue that case, I think. On the one hand, you could say that Loudon deserved to qualify because of their regular-season record. On the other hand, you could say that they didn't, since even with the advantage of not needing to win a play-in game and getting an extra day off because of the seed their regular-season record got them, they weren't able to beat the 4-seed and then the 3-seed in tournament play.

All these plans have merit. But it sounds like you are assuming all these teams can come up with a top notch 5 man pitching staff. If you want good, fair games then you want to see the best the team can produce. Most good teams have 2 or 3 good pitchers. Some have more, but generally it tappers off. Pitching rotation and rest are important. I'm sure Vanderbilts coach would not be happy and may even forbid Mike Minor from pitching on 2 days rest. And thats what would happen. Teams would go with their top 2.

Vultor - the reason I have been advocating the 'Limbaugh Plan' for years is because once you do get to the state tournament, you need more than one good pitcher - but the week before to get there you only need one... so a team with one great pitcher can get to the 'boro, but once he pitches that first game in the state tournament, his team may not be able to compete at a state-tournament-team level - see what I mean?