Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

"I was at the game too and IMO the students should have never been on the field in the first place. At our field the officers and AD and Principal all make sure of it."

Letting the fans on to the field is a Maryville tradition and a sign of the close knit program. Sure at Maryville we have had the luxury of having the winningest football program in the state the past 9-10 years and it is great to go down and shake some hands, talk with other fans and most importantly congratulate or console the kids who just hung it out for 48 minutes. I always make it a point to shake a few hands from the visiting team and coaches, they worked hard as well. It is a real shame that when your kids win at a place like Murfreesboro you can't get down there to get the hugs and pictures from that. Schools who don't allow their fans, supporters, parents to get on the field after a HS game are cheating their community of great fellowship.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RebelRon you are a class act. Maryville has an outstanding program. I cannot wait to see Tyler at UT. I think he will have a great career if he stays healthy. He is very explosive and most importantly; he always shows up in the big games. I agree with Shiverdecker. You cannot tell me Rogan or Hawkins have anything on him. He is an awsome talent. I don't know what the deal is with UT. I think I will call David Blacburn this week. I am also excited about Douglass. He does a nice job of blocking in addition to having great hands. Sykes is going to have to get "tougher" in my opinion. If Hicks were 3 inches taller! He is one tough kid that's for sure. Lanxter has all the tools but takes too many plays off. Sommer didn't play his best last night. Burnett is a D1 player IMHO.

I agree with you on Shiverdecker and I am pretty sure Hawkins nor Rogan have an MVP from a State Championship game either. Shivy has outstanding vision for a back at the high school level.

[quote name='FBEmeritus' date='Aug 26 2006 - 08:40 PM' post='826112069']

"I was at the game too and IMO the students should have never been on the field in the first place. At our field the officers and AD and Principal all make sure of it."

Letting the fans on to the field is a Maryville tradition and a sign of the close knit program. Sure at Maryville we have had the luxury of having the winningest football program in the state the past 9-10 years and it is great to go down and shake some hands, talk with other fans and most importantly congratulate or console the kids who just hung it out for 48 minutes. I always make it a point to shake a few hands from the visiting team and coaches, they worked hard as well. It is a real shame that when your kids win at a place like Murfreesboro you can't get down there to get the hugs and pictures from that. Schools who don't allow their fans, supporters, parents to get on the field after a HS game are cheating their community of great fellowship.

Great points FBE. It is an incredibly positive tradition for the fans including the small children to visit their Friday night heros. I see friends, family, small children, press, and just MHS supporters on the field after each game congratulating the Rebels. Players and the fans love it!

I was at the game too and IMO the students should have never been on the field in the first place . At our field the officers and AD and Principal all make sure of it . The holding of a raccoon up was a racial slur , you know and everyone on here knows it , so don't even try to justify it . It's a sad day when you see probably one of the best high school football games ever ruined by things like that . Congrats to both teams on a great game .

If teh games is ruined by our darn raccoon dont come. Im the one that brought it in. We never refered to it as "The Coon", as someone else claimed. His name is Young Roc, thats all we ever call it. We dont mean anything racial by it. We found him in a parking lot for christsake. Its a homemade taxidermy, stuffed with sawdust, missing two legs. Do you think we drove around for four hours one night thinking, "Gosh, we really need to find us a coon so we can send a message to them alcoans. Lets make it a racial slur!" ? No. Its innocent fun. Were 17 years old. As for my parading it in front of alcoas student section, thats called celebration. 6 years straight. So can you just let kids have fun and not accuse us of being racist all the time? We never meant anything by the flag, and we dont mean anything by the coon. Alcoa, WB, and Heritage all have waaaaaay more race problems than we do, yet were teh ones that wlays take the blame.

I heard from an Alcoa player last night, that UT has offered Shivy a scholly.

I wouldn't be surprised. There is no question he is better than Hawkins from Loudon, at least as a RB. My guess is Hawkins has been recruited solely as a DB. Rogan will be next.

This is an incredible year locally for D-1 type players. I can't remember UT ever being this active in the Knoxville area.

This was a great game!!! Both teams had a chance to win the game. Maryville had a chance to win at a greater margin and Alcoa had opportunities to win outright.

Both teams made mistakes and wasted chances. Maryville did have a few turnovers but how much of that was Alcoa's defense??? Say what you will, I believe from what I saw that Alcoa's defense caused a couple of the turnovers.

Rankin has done a great job with this team and they will continue to get better. I wish they played this game as the last game of the regular season. I think both teams would be better at that point.

If Alcoa could have made a couple of more plays, I think they win the game. Rae Sykes had an interception in his hands early in the game and it was dropped. Maryville kicks a field goal (winning margin is 3 points).

Another key moment in the game is a 4th and 6 late in the 1st half, Alcoa driving deep into Maryville territory. For whatever reason they could not get a 1st down. Maryville then drives for a touchdown.

Obviously the catch by the Maryville TE and the end of the game was huge. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I believe if Alcoa gets the ball again they score and win. All the momentum was on their side.

Hats off to the defense!!! Bart Hicks looked great, Sommers had a great interception. Cobb is going to blossom into a great QB. I love the discipline of this team. The gap between Maryville and Alcoa has closed quite a bit between this year and last year.

I didn't think Alcoa would play this well, but they did. So much for Maryville soundly defeating Alcoa. This was anything but one sided. This game could have gone either way.

Alcoa played physical with Maryville and if they can play tough with the "best team in Tennessee," if Alcoa can play Maryville so well that the game could go either way, then there must be respect out there for the Alcoa Tornadoes.

I can honestly say that with 5:00 to go in the game I thought Alcoa was going to win. All the momentum was with Alcoa and Maryville was reeling. But you have to give Maryville credit, even though they didn't score in the 2nd half they still made the plays when they needed to.

Great game. I'm proud of Alcoa and I'm thrilled that we don't have to listen to how Alcoa (little 2A school) is not able to compete with Maryville (4A school) this year.

Alcoa played smash-mouth football with the "big boys" and didn't back down. Just needed a couple more plays.

Good luck to Maryville and here's a wish for a 15-0 season.

As for Alcoa, I think Quarles said it best, "Alcoa will walk through 2A. This might be the best team that we will face this year."

If teh games is ruined by our darn raccoon dont come. Im the one that brought it in. We never refered to it as "The Coon", as someone else claimed. His name is Young Roc, thats all we ever call it. We dont mean anything racial by it. We found him in a parking lot for christsake. Its a homemade taxidermy, stuffed with sawdust, missing two legs. Do you think we drove around for four hours one night thinking, "Gosh, we really need to find us a coon so we can send a message to them alcoans. Lets make it a racial slur!" ? No. Its innocent fun. Were 17 years old. As for my parading it in front of alcoas student section, thats called celebration. 6 years straight. So can you just let kids have fun and not accuse us of being racist all the time? We never meant anything by the flag, and we dont mean anything by the coon. Alcoa, WB, and Heritage all have waaaaaay more race problems than we do, yet were teh ones that wlays take the blame.

Then you don't know Alcoa

Great game, couldnt ask for better effort by the Tornadoes and this should be a great ride under Rankin. I was one of the fans at the game saying why is Rankin running the option or a draw on 3rd and 7......but if you think about it Rankin is worried about that gold ball, so he is letting Randall develop slowly and not put to much on him to soon so that by week 7 or 8 he has supreme confidence in all parts of the offense. No team the rest of the year will come close to Alcoa, not Fulton not McCallie, not anybody, they are toooooo good.

I

Don't get that cockey! McCallie beat Riverdale Friday night and Fulton reloads. They will be tuff games. Reading McCallies board they have something to prove when they visit Alcoa.

I'm sure the new coach will want to beat the team that beat his X-team. So it should be a great game.

UTK--2002 Said "I didn't think Alcoa would play this well, but they did. So much for Maryville soundly defeating Alcoa. This was anything but one sided. This game could have gone either way."

I was the one who had said MHS would soundly defeat Alcoa. Well in stats I was right but over all I was wrong. I agree the game could have gone either way. The defense of Alcoa can take some credit for turnovers but many times it was a break down of fundamentals in a player. T Maples played up to his billing and got the good press but in fact I think he also last the ball twice. The papers don't reflect that. He is a great player like a few others are on both teams.

Coach Ranking has brought a component of discipline that I thought Alcoa has needed for many years.

Over all Maryville was never at Alcoa's will and GQ again showed how he can take decent HS FB players and accomplish great things. 3 points or 100, a win is a win and really it might hurt all the more because Alcoa was very close to slaying a giant. GQ also showed what kind of class he and his staff have shown for years now by not trying to shove another 7 points on the score board at the end of the game.

Alcoa has improved at the same time Maryville has a long way to go to compete in Region 3-4A, and frankly the Rebels are not as good as they were last year IMO. But Maryville showed they will not be de-throned to easily.

Again Congratz to Alcoa for the game they brought and they are now a program I can get behind again.

Maryville can still however say “Alcoa can’t beat us”!

This game is always won and lost up front IMO. And due to that fact I was concerned coming in. Alcoa has good size on both sides of the line. We were starting three Sophmores in our defensive front seven and all three played very well. Take away the turnovers and the game was not this close. The stats bear this out, particularly 19 first downs to 6 and offensive plays 57-34. Maryville was driving around the Alcoa 30 on two of the turnovers. But! Give Alcoa credit for making those defensive plays. When you bend but do not break you give yourself a chance and that is exactly what they did.

I think Maryville can be as good as last year but only time will tell. We have played the first two games without our best running back. The passing game is in place and if we can improve our running game our offense could actually be as good as or better than last year IMO. The defensive unit improved greatly from week 0 to week 1. They will continue to improve.

I am not embarrassed by beating this team by 3 points. To heck with classification this Alcoa team could play with most if not all teams in the State. There are only 11 on the field at one time and their 11 could hang with the best of them.

Maryville's last drive was a thing of beauty. They did what they had to do to preserve the win.

Good luck to both teams the rest of the way. Possibly the best High School Football atmosphere I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of.

I am not embarrassed by beating this team by 3 points. To heck with classification this Alcoa team could play with most if not all teams in the State. There are only 11 on the field at one time and their 11 could hang with the best of them.

And you shouldn't be(embarrassed)-I witnessed an outstanding football game played by two outstanding football "teams". Like I told the boys from Unapproved Website "This is what TN high school football is all about!" I pray that Rakin stays for the long haul because if he does this game is just the tip of the iceberg and the face of this rivalry is about to change...