Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

First of all I must congratulate the Alcoa Football Team by showing more heart, class and resolve that I have seen from them in many years. Maybe it is coaching? I do think Shiverdecker is a better RB than Lindsey was in, my opinion. Cobb played well but like I said going in not being able to be effective in passing will hurt any team. The score was close mainly because of Maryville’s turnovers and mistakes. Maryville squandered some opportunities and had a few breakdowns on O and D. Alcoa is a quality team and not many teams can win giving away the ball, but Maryville again found a way to win and many of the young kids, stepping up, showed the heart of a champion. Alcoa had like only 5 first downs to MHS’ 19. Sheverdecker as good as he is was still only able to get just less than 100 yards vs. Maryville’s D but is the star of the Alcoa team.

More later. Congratz to the Maryville Red Rebels!

I think Alcoa's Offense made way more mistakes than Maryville's Offense.

Alcoa's Defense ---- A+

Alcoa's Offense ----C-

Maryville's Defense ----A

Maryville's Offense -----B+, but A+ when they NEEDED it.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great high school football game. Once again we are schooled by the Maryville coaching staff. The teams were probally as evenly matched as i have seen them in the 4-5 years i have been watching Alcoa & Maryville football so far as talent and ability.

Alcoa players did great, our new coach did a great job of coaching his old team (a big school run straight at you football team) but did not coach the Alcoa team standing on the sideline behind him. The few times he played Alcoa football we dropped a long pass down feild and the other we scored.

Right wrong or otherwise, the Alcoa football i have seen in the past, and they are suited for was a very fast paced three demensional football game. The reason the run works because the pass works. We were very one dimensional today and Maryville never feared the pass, mostly because we rarely tried one.

I love football, and at one time loved run straight at you football. That is not the football of past Alcoa winning football teams. I guess what i am wondering is will Alcoa be able to change thier stripes, or will the Coach change his.

On the bright side, it was great football !!!

What a great high school football game. Once again we are schooled by the Maryville coaching staff. The teams were probally as evenly matched as i have seen them in the 4-5 years i have been watching Alcoa & Maryville football so far as talent and ability.

Alcoa players did great, our new coach did a great job of coaching his old team (a big school run straight at you football team) but did not coach the Alcoa team standing on the sideline behind him. The few times he played Alcoa football we dropped a long pass down feild and the other we scored.

Right wrong or otherwise, the Alcoa football i have seen in the past, and they are suited for was a very fast paced three demensional football game. The reason the run works because the pass works. We were very one dimensional today and Maryville never feared the pass, mostly because we rarely tried one.

I love football, and at one time loved run straight at you football. That is not the football of past Alcoa winning football teams. I guess what i am wondering is will Alcoa be able to change thier stripes, or will the Coach change his.

On the bright side, it was great football !!!

You'd have to be an idiot to not see how much better coached Alcoa is now .

I think Alcoa's Offense made way more mistakes than Maryville's Offense.

Alcoa's Defense ---- A+

Alcoa's Offense ----C-

Maryville's Defense ----A

Maryville's Offense -----B+, but A+ when they NEEDED it.

Maryville had three TO's, two while driving on Alcoa's side of the 50. I don't remember Alcoa having any. Turnovers are what get you beat. Alcoa's defense was impressive though and I am not trying to take anything away from them. I think when the final stats come out though they will bear out that the turnovers Maryville committed were huge, especially the one when they were deep in Alcoa territory trying to take a 24-7 lead midway through the third quarter.

Edited by mhs

It is funny really. I was sitting next to my nephew, an Alcoa Grad and he felt Shiverdecker should have gotten more touches but evidently some think they should have thrown more. Maryville had pretty good pressure on Cobb most of the night. Alcoa disrupted our passing game with some sacks as well. I think with last year's coaching staff this game would not have been near as close. Both teams were bothered by cramps due to the heat and humidity.

You'd have to be an idiot to not see how much better coached Alcoa is now .

I must be an idiot, but you cannot read.

I never said they were not well coached. They were coached to near perfection to play as a 4A or 5A team. The team was pretty well prepared, The came out a little flat, but I expected it since they had a buy the first weekend of the season. The coaching tonight reminded me a lot of when Spurrier went to the pro's to coach. It was not the same game as much as he wished to make it so. He coached some great college ball with pro players which did not work. He realised that he would not change thier stripes and went back to what he was suited to.

My comment is that the coach did not play traditional Alcoa football and play to thier potential strengths. They have some great hands on that football team (Some would say 2 division one prospects). They also have some very good outside speed with a highly mobile QB, and a good inside game when the others are working and you keep the defense guessing.

Compare the number of running plays to touch downs scored with what they did when they attempted a three dimensional passing game tonight. I think if you will look at passes over 15 yds they scored on one and dropped one. As soon as they made the long strike the corners and ends eased up some which opened the running game up a touch. The "all over you", 3 demensional game plays to speed and mobility of Alcoa football.

And unless you are afraid to actually debate, and not just call me an idiot, then explain to me how what i have just said was wrong.

Edited by k12koop

It is funny really. I was sitting next to my nephew, an Alcoa Grad and he felt Shiverdecker should have gotten more touches but evidently some think they should have thrown more. Maryville had pretty good pressure on Cobb most of the night. Alcoa disrupted our passing game with some sacks as well. I think with last year's coaching staff this game would not have been near as close. Both teams were bothered by cramps due to the heat and humidity.

The defensive coaching is basically unchanged from last year. That might have been some of the best defensive play that i have seen Alcoa put on. In fact if the defense had not play so well tonight it would have been real whipping. I think the Maryville coach did an outstanding job of verrying his call playing and offensive attack to get the points they did.

There is no doubt in my mind that Maryville's Coach is probably if not the best, he is in the top 5 best high school coaches I have seen put a team on the feild.

A real mark of class on his part, and if i meet him out at lunch sometime i will buy his for him, was his call to not go for that last touchdown when he knew he had the game won.

That was class...

Edited by k12koop