Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post GovMan, and we are on track talking about the game.

I know Cobb can throw the ball a long way but just in the "Area" will spell INT with Maryville's secondary. The weakness at this point of the season is in the D line for Maryville so Cobb might have a few seconds to make better throws unless Wood can get to him. Wood is fast and strong enough to pressure the Alcoa QB but he won't be enough every play. Cobb's mobility will be a plus for Alcoa.

I do agree Maryville has a host of recievers that will be thrown at and no one on Alcoa's team can keep step with Maples. I do think he will be bumped off the line but if the O line can give ether QB for MHS time, GQ will pick Alcoa apart all night long.

One big factor that is un-known is if Alcoa get's that deer in the headlights look like last year where they seemed to have bought into all the press hype does Rankin have the ability to get his team focused to play all 4 qtrs. I think Rankin to be a very good coach and he will take Alcoa to a new level, but I don't think the team can play 4qtrs with a physical Maryville. But not many teams have been able to in the past.

Good points! Alcoa often gets that look against Maryville. That's why it's important for them to start fast. I don't think Alcoa can match Maryville's physical play either for 4 quarters. However, they have been getting more physical over the past 2-3 years. Will just have to see how far Rankin has brought them.

Govman , I know you meant no harm , and you're a classy guy , but I can't help but think that If this same situation had happened at WB , and I had started a new thread totally dedicated to that situation when there was already a game thread going on where you could discuss the issue ..... well , I can't help but think that you might have understood the " neon sign " comment a little better .

I don't like the way this has been handled at all , I know for a fact that there's been kids who have done a lot more at other schools that didn't get near this publicity . When I saw their pictures plastered in the paper , I couldn't help but think how mad I would be if it was my kid .

Hey Mikey65 ... Maryville OWNS you !! haha .

pepvol,

You can borrow my badge if needed! :thumb: This is exactly the same kind of situation I was referring to in another thread, when you accused me of being a poster policeman. No good comes from going in detail, about kids who have made a mistake.

On the way out the door - going to the White Pine Hardees

to see what the boys think.

Thought the News Sentinel Maryville story was out of line.

These are high school kids

NOT UT Vols or NFL players known statewide.

Not excusing their actions but do we need to know what high school kids did this past weekend.

The headline makes it seem worse that what it was.

Tell me if I am wrong.

Just wondering ???

I agree. I don't condone what the players did and I applaud our coach for what he did. But is this really that big of a news story? Channel 8 ran it AGAIN last night and Drew Edwards has risen to a new low this morning in the Sentinel. And yes when words are splashed on a headline it looks much worse than it is. Ashame someone cannot follow these fine journalist around and take notes on everything they do.

Seriously....you don't have to comment. If you really are a member of the clergy then try acting like it........ :thumb:

[/quot

If you really are an ADULT then try acting like it...... :huh:

Picking on a member of the clergy, thats even an all-time low for YOU!

Edited by catback

Govman , I know you meant no harm , and you're a classy guy , but I can't help but think that If this same situation had happened at WB , and I had started a new thread totally dedicated to that situation when there was already a game thread going on where you could discuss the issue ..... well , I can't help but think that you might have understood the " neon sign " comment a little better .

I don't like the way this has been handled at all , I know for a fact that there's been kids who have done a lot more at other schools that didn't get near this publicity . When I saw their pictures plastered in the paper , I couldn't help but think how mad I would be if it was my kid .

Hey Mikey65 ... Maryville OWNS you !! haha .

Pepvol,

I do understand your view, and I did not mean to sound like I took offense to your "neon sign" reply. I hope you'll take my word that my motives really were to talk about the impact of the suspensions (in relationship to the game) and not to "sensationalize" or draw attention to the event. I share your view completely that the event has been "mishandled" and "blown out of proportion."

Hopefully, there won't be a lot of t-shirts, signs, etc. on display Friday night alluding to the mistake these young men made. But realistically, I fear we'll see some stuff.

Catback, I appreciate the support. I don't have to prove myself to him nor do I wish to. I will not lower myself to the demeaning of people's character.

We are one day closer to the game tommorrow and I believe that, as much as I hope I'm wrong, Maryville will win. I think Alcoa will play much better than they did last year. I see them as having more success running than passing. The key to Alcoa offensively is going to be Randall Cobb. The talent is there for him to play very well. The better he plays the more of a chance that Alcoa has to pull out a shocker.

I think that Maryville will have alot of success throwing. Too much experience in the receivers and quarterbacks for them not to have success. I don't think it will be a 14-10 low scoring game.

My prediction is 38-28 Maryville. Let's all hope for a safe well played game and for 2 more state championships.

I know defeat is likely, but I must say, "Go Alcoa!"

I DO NOT CLAIM THESE PREDICTIONS TO BE 100% CORRECT. IN THE EVENT I AM INCORRECT I WILL GLADLY TIP MY HAT TO THOSE WHO ARE MORE ACCURATE THAN MYSELF.