Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

Glad I finally got to see a good game in this rivalry.

Maryville had their chances to score maybe a TD or two more if not for the fumbles, but also Alcoa had some dumb penalties that really hurt some drives. Alcoa made key stops when it mattered, and Maryville made key stops when it mattered.

For Alcoa, I think the the player of the game was Hicks. It seemed like he was practically everywhere. He was Alcoa's MVP, because when players get hit by him, they will go down. I saw too many instances last night where Singleton or McCoy wouldn't get wrapped up, and that bounce the run out for a few extra yards. Rae got pretty much shut down it seemed like, (he should've had an INT on one of those first plays of the game, and he would've taken it to the house). Kyrus didn't do much except lay a vicious hit on Shiver, (who, by the way, I hope is alright), but besides that he was non-existent. Brian played okay, had a pretty nice catch and run, and a very nice INT. Shivy had a good game, he had a great drive and then capped it off with a nice TD, I think he proved that he will be hard to bring down solo. I was kind of disappointed that #21 Troy Hodge didn't get the ball more, that kid is a great RB, but I heard he's been hurt all week.

Maryville, was Maryville. GQ knew the right plays to call at the right time, and has the talent in his players to execute it. Maryville's MVP was definitely Burnette, (10-10, 213 yds), but the Booker kid wasn't too far behind. It seemed like I heard his name called 15 times, he was everywhere. Maples was pretty impressive. He has some wheels, and he shook Kyrus out of his shoes on that screen for a TD. He seemed to have a problem holding on to the football though, by fumbling it twice. I think Singleton, McCoy, and even Kelly were very adequate replacements for Tank. Maryville's defense also really came to play besides Booker, Caylor was a head-hunter, their line played well, and their secondary made some pretty good plays, (was impressed with the younger Clement).

If not for some of those stupid penalties and Maryville's fumbles, who knows, it could've been a different, more high-scoring, game. I think it's safe to say the two best teams in the state squared off in Maryville last night. Look for the first ever three-peat from two teams in the same county, come December.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Tom, both teams hurt themselves and really the story is the kids who stepped it up on both teams. I was surprized to see such a low score. No team can easly overcome mistakes and turnovers vs. a good team.

I hope all kids recover from that battle and have great seasons and bring two gold balls back to Blount County. I don't think MHS is as good this year as last but Alcoa is with the dicipline Coach Rankin has brought.

I won't address the silly Racoon thing, it's just kids.

As far as seeing posters. I saw the GOVMAN at the game last night, even though his bag of burgers was from MacDonald's and not Burger King like he said in his earlier post. Does this mean that we can't trust any of his posts. LOL I thought that I saw FBE when this guy next to me jumped on Coacht during the game. But this guy looked like he was having a hard time navigating the site from his Blackberry, so I think it was an imposter. I didn't see the guy who said that he was going to put his name on his shirt. I had my post name written on my hat.

RED REBELS

I was there and now I'm back in the D.C. Metro area ( I had to leave last night). It was a great game played by two of the best "programs" in the state err country- man it feels good to finally be able to say program and ALCOA in the same sentence. All I can say is normally the team with the fewest mistakes wins the game. Both teams have some hard hitters and playmakers it was good to see kids of some of the guys I played against in this rivalry as well as played with. My nephew had a good run for the couple of plays he was in-but the important thing for him is that he has braggin rights over his uncles once again.

Regardless of the actions of some of the student body (those with raccoon in hand as well as those who were very rude to folks who were sitting with my family on the Maryville side.) it was very refreshing to see the sportsmanship of the players on both sides and like i said in an earlier post most of these kids grew up playing with and against each other-that Booker kid, my nephew and others played on my father's midget team (do the still call them midgets?).

Well hats off to both teams, coaches and fans. Now let's bring those Gold Balls back to BC.

Oh yeah now that this week is behind us-for those of you who were offended by my social commentary please strike it to a heart which is steered by deep social conscienceness...I'm a minister called to social justice and a vocation of Pastoral care and counseling. God bless you all!

Edited by alcoafan72

Its not a coon its a Raccoon and I think you are the one with the problem. Like I said Take no offense where none is intended. Its fun, they're teenagers, why does it have to make sense.

I'm really not going to get on a soapbox...I'm not going to get on a soapbox...

I was on the Maryville side when the gates opened and when those students broght in the "coon" and yes they referred to it as "tha coon" with various other comments while posing with it for fan photos-please forgive me but I'm new at this being a "Rebel Fan" thing oh gosh I said it, anyway I wasn't able to stay on that side for the game-let's just put it this way some Maryville players made some phone calls to some of those students who were recognized while not displaying(Maryville)class- i know this because my nephew was one of them. Hats off to Maryville players and coaches you are a class act oh yeah I was introduced to some real classy fans as well.

Unreal .... 2 Alcoa fans questioning the coach already . Anybody with any football sense at all tonight .... saw a much better prepared Alcoa team than in the past . Hey ... as a Maryville fan , I say go ahead and run him off ... HAHA .

This is coming from a former Tornadoe...this is a very disciplined squad and that is going to take them a very long way (it's about building a program). Give Rankin a chance if he stays around mark my word you will see more exciting Alcoa/Maryville matchups... It was definately the largest team I've ever seen Alcoa put on the field and that has to be a testament to something.

What a great football game. With good friends on both sides, as coaches, fans, parents, players, etc. it was fun to be able to watch and just enjoy the evening.

Most anything I would say about the "game" has already been said. By the way ... I might not be a bad "scout" for somebody :):thumb: . I called the pass to Douglas at the end. He needs to be careful about "tipping his plays" ... just befoe that play, he came rushing over the trainer yelling for a towel to wipe his hands off. :):) One observation ... one of the papers stated that Douglas went up and outjumped Kyrus. More accurate would have been that he went up and outjumped Green I believe. Lanxter was close, but I thought Green was who he took it away from. Which makes sense when you compare the size of the two players.

My opinion on the "infamous" raccoon. As soon as I saw it (and I knew the kid carrying it around) I cringed. Say what you want guys, whether an "innocent and unintended" student prank or what ... if someone will think it completely out it would have been better to leave the raccoon in the trunk. A lot has been said about the "classy" nature of the rivalry, which I think is a great compliment to both schools. The raccoon and/or signs saying things like "this Bud's for you" don't exactly reek of classiness.

Maryville's run-through sign was a classic. Someone was very creative.

Good job Maryville folks putting on a spectacular Friday evening. Great game Alcoa and Maryeeeee-ville, I look forward to a great year.

I understand what you are saying and agree that they might have affected the score. Justin Smith's first deflected pass , which was an outstanding play , also affected the final score. Alcoa had the hook and lateral set up on the play and Shivvy would have taken it to the house. Both teams are headed back to the Boro in my opinion. :huh:

You guys for sure. We still have a little work to do but it is early. Hope to be there Fri night and Sat afternoon!

Great game, couldnt ask for better effort by the Tornadoes and this should be a great ride under Rankin. I was one of the fans at the game saying why is Rankin running the option or a draw on 3rd and 7......but if you think about it Rankin is worried about that gold ball, so he is letting Randall develop slowly and not put to much on him to soon so that by week 7 or 8 he has supreme confidence in all parts of the offense. No team the rest of the year will come close to Alcoa, not Fulton not McCallie, not anybody, they are toooooo good.

I believe the biggest play of the game was very early in the game, I believe Maryville's 2nd or 3rd drive. Maryville tried to run a screen and Rae read it perfect and the Maryville QB threw it right to Rae and it went right through Rae's hands. Nobody would have caught him and it would have been 6 for the Tornadoes. Thats seems to be the difference in this rivalry, Maryville makes those plays and we dont.

Maples is absolutely sick with the ball in his hands, he will be All-SEC one day at UT. I dont think, and I have never thought, Derek Hunt should take a single snap for Maryville, Burnette is a D-1 level QB and should take every snap, but its hard to argue with GQ's success.

Good Luck to both teams, this will be the only game I can attend untill both are in the Boro and I can make the short drive down from WKU and watch both teams take their 3rd straight.

Edited by alcoa06

What a great football game. With good friends on both sides, as coaches, fans, parents, players, etc. it was fun to be able to watch and just enjoy the evening.

Most anything I would say about the "game" has already been said. By the way ... I might not be a bad "scout" for somebody :):huh: . I called the pass to Douglas at the end. He needs to be careful about "tipping his plays" ... just befoe that play, he came rushing over the trainer yelling for a towel to wipe his hands off. :):) One observation ... one of the papers stated that Douglas went up and outjumped Kyrus. More accurate would have been that he went up and outjumped Green I believe. Lanxter was close, but I thought Green was who he took it away from. Which makes sense when you compare the size of the two players.

My opinion on the "infamous" raccoon. As soon as I saw it (and I knew the kid carrying it around) I cringed. Say what you want guys, whether an "innocent and unintended" student prank or what ... if someone will think it completely out it would have been better to leave the raccoon in the trunk. A lot has been said about the "classy" nature of the rivalry, which I think is a great compliment to both schools. The raccoon and/or signs saying things like "this Bud's for you" don't exactly reek of classiness.

Maryville's run-through sign was a classic. Someone was very creative.

Good job Maryville folks putting on a spectacular Friday evening. Great game Alcoa and Maryeeeee-ville, I look forward to a great year.

I'll give credit where credit is due: Maryville's sign was creative.

Alcoa choosing to not run through a sign but come in as a unit showing discipline by walking in I think sent a message. We all had goosebumps watching them come in. I hope they continue to come in this way. It really showed class and discipline.

So, that was a raccoon, huh??? If I had to guess what it was when I was looking at it, I would've said a possum. I really couldn't tell what the heck it was. Hope they didn't spend much at the taxidermy's office! It's really sad that one person (or a small group of people) can ruin an otherwise very classy ballgame on both sides. I didn't see the sign about the Bud since I was sitting behind the sign, but I've seen a lot worse signs at the M-A ballgame. I'm not saying the sign was right, but they are kids, and they're not physically hurting anybody. I'll give MHS this much: With GQ as head coach, they certainly have class.

Good luck the rest of the season! It would be great to have both of us at the Boro, but we both have a long season ahead of us!

I was impressed with Maryvilles defense. Justin Smith played great. After a rough start Jeffery Booker played very well. I wouldn't trade any 2 linebackers for Tanner Caylor and Landon Hall.

Tyler Maples played great but cramps did him in. Steven Shiver took a big hit. With all the suspenions and Maples being out with cramps Maryville gutted this win out. 3 biggest plays was Tyler's touchdown,Aaron Douglas jump ball catch and the pass to Ryan Singleton in the flat to seal the win. Great win by Maryville.

Alcoa is better than they were the last 2 years. Chris Shiverdecker should be offered a scholarship by UT right now. Every time he gets the ball you are scared to death he will break one. Lankster and Sommers are great players.

Alcoa played extremely hard. Bart Hicks is a bad man. I was impressed with the discipline that Alcoa has now. You don't see the chant and trash talk in warmups now. Alcoa looked like a team that meant business.

Alcoa will win the 2A championship. If they don't I will be shocked.

RebelRon you are a class act. Maryville has an outstanding program. I cannot wait to see Tyler at UT. I think he will have a great career if he stays healthy. He is very explosive and most importantly; he always shows up in the big games. I agree with Shiverdecker. You cannot tell me Rogan or Hawkins have anything on him. He is an awsome talent. I don't know what the deal is with UT. I think I will call David Blacburn this week. I am also excited about Douglass. He does a nice job of blocking in addition to having great hands. Sykes is going to have to get "tougher" in my opinion. If Hicks were 3 inches taller! He is one tough kid that's for sure. Lanxter has all the tools but takes too many plays off. Sommer didn't play his best last night. Burnett is a D1 player IMHO.