Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and I admit the sign wasn't real classy but those players brought that upon themselves, our players did nothin to deserves that. Also how would a coon be a maryville rebels mascot, that makes no sense at all.

Its not a coon its a Raccoon and I think you are the one with the problem. Like I said Take no offense where none is intended. Its fun, they're teenagers, why does it have to make sense.

I do not understand...people in the thread are retarted. Talkin about if Maryville did not have as many fumbles we would of won...Alcoa should of done this....THAT IS FOOTBALL, yeah maybe Maryville would of done better than that if they wouldnt have...BUT THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all the Maryville people...QUIT crying!! It is sad that a 4A POWERHOUSE almost lost to a 2A school. No matter who dropped the football...THEY DID!!!

SO QUIT CRYING AND GROW UP!!!! Maryville played a good game....Alcoa played a good game...BOTH teams could have done better but they didnt...THAT IS HOW FOOTBALL GOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to BOTH teams...hopefuly the fans will get some sportsmenship...

Hope both make it back to the buro!

Kids are kids guys. I've done much worse at their age. If a Racoon and a sign is all you have to discuss, go to bed.

Well coached, well played game on BOTH sides. If you dont believe that, you are firmly in the "ON CRACK" column.

That's the very best effort both teams have put on the field vs. each other since 88 or 89...cant remember the year...maryville was driving and ran outta time.

Congrats to both programs. Like I told Lanxter, Shiverdecker, Sykes, Sommer and Hicks, it has NO effect on gold ball #8 :thumb:

Kids are kids guys. I've done much worse at their age. If a Racoon and a sign is all you have to discuss, go to bed.

Well coached, well played game on BOTH sides. If you dont believe that, you are firmly in the "ON CRACK" column.

That's the very best effort both teams have put on the field vs. each other since 88 or 89...cant remember the year...maryville was driving and ran outta time.

Congrats to both programs. Like I told Lanxter, Shiverdecker, Sykes, Sommer and Hicks, it has NO effect on gold ball #8 :thumb:

good post..... :thumb:

Do not take offense where none was intended. Its a Raccoon thats it. Why a Raccoon, I do not know, but whats the harm, the students can hardly do anything at the games anymore. Let them have some fun and do not read anything else into it.

the students all find a random object from some random place and this year it was a stuffed racoon some guy shot way back when... the student do it every year... last year they had a santa as it...

the students all find a random object from some random place and this year it was a stuffed racoon some guy shot way back when... the student do it every year... last year they had a santa as it...

First off, congrats to the Rebs! I said this was gonna be a great game and I was right. Both teams played their hearts out! Rankin is a great coach, but I was a little questionable on some of the play calling. I felt he could have thrown down the field a few more times. I noticed at one point in the game that Maryville's secondary was cramping bad! All four were out the game at one point, and I felt Alcoa should have taken advantage of that. Other than that the game was great! Alcoa just couldn't catch a break when they needed it most, and GQ called a great game once again. One thing that did bother me was the Raccoon thing. No one knew what the students intended with it, but running to our side and holding a coon up to the fans bothered me. I'm not saying anything was meant by it, but they made it seem that way.

I have read all the posts since the end of the game. Good points were made by fans and followers of both shools. And IMO it was one of best games I seen in High School in recent years. One thing that has not been mentioned yet is that the final difference in score was 3 points, a field goal. I was on the sideline in the corner of the end when he kicked it 47 yards. It would have been easily good from 55+ yards. If Taka isn't a D1 kicker, then there isn't one in Tennessee or anywhere else for that matter. If I was a recruiter I would be "kicking" down HIS door trying to get him at my college. Field position is critical and when your a kick returner and all you see is the football going over head into the endzone it kind of deflates any momentum you can build to start a drive. Enough about Taka, his foot speaks for him more than anyone could.

Another thing I would like to mention. I will probably get alot of flak over this but I am one of the police officers who has worked MHS games for many years. As a matter of fact for the last 25 years. (My nickname at the school is Father Time). I am also a 74 graduate of Alcoa High School. Trust me I have seen much worse actions by students in those years. Last night when the students ran across the field and held up flags and the racoon Myself, other officers, and school officials immediately turned the students around.

Enough about that to. Both schools should be proud of thier football programs, They are two of the bests, more likely THE two best in Tennessee.

That was a RACCOON??? I couldn't tell what the heck it was! Kids will be kids, and I think it needs to be left at that.

As for the game: I sure do wish Alcoa had gone for that field goal (don't remember what quarter it was) instead of going for it on 4th down. I have no doubt that Guzzo could've made it.

I loved the way Alcoa came out before the game. Very calm, very disciplined. I and people around me had goosebumps watching them come in! I was disappointed after that that a couple of Alcoa players ruined it by jumping up and "belly bumping" each other.

I saw a much more disciplined Alcoa team out there who played with a lot of heart and, for once, didn't get out there and act like deer in headlights when they saw that red and black. I thought Rankin did a great job. I have no doubt that if Reid had still been here, we would've seen another thrashing like last year. The coaches seemed to have prepared them well, the players just made too many mistakes. I think not having a week 0 game may have hurt us.

GQ is an amazing coach, and he once again showed how classy he is by not going in for the touchdown at the end of the game. The score very well could've been 24-14, but it still would've been a lot better than last year!

Hats off to all of the players on both sides for a great game! Good luck to Murvul this season!

Edited by aliastn

You Alcoa fans are incredible. Rankin just provided the best coached team in many many years for Alcoa and yet the slam has started. Most of you that are commenting don't know shat about football. If I were Rankin with fans such as this I would pack it up and sprint out of Alcoa just like the previous 5 or 6 coaches.

I could not agree with you more. Rankin did what he needed to do to put his team in a position to win the game. My team played their hearts out and came up short. The better team won. If the fans are disappointed just think how the kids feel. We have a good thing in Rankin and I am sure he will win his share against the Rebels before he is through. But if not , as long as his team represents the way they did tonight , we should be proud of them. :thumb:

Edited by Coalman

I do not understand...people in the thread are retarted. Talkin about if Maryville did not have as many fumbles we would of won...Alcoa should of done this....THAT IS FOOTBALL, yeah maybe Maryville would of done better than that if they wouldnt have...BUT THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all the Maryville people...QUIT crying!! It is sad that a 4A POWERHOUSE almost lost to a 2A school. No matter who dropped the football...THEY DID!!!

SO QUIT CRYING AND GROW UP!!!! Maryville played a good game....Alcoa played a good game...BOTH teams could have done better but they didnt...THAT IS HOW FOOTBALL GOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to BOTH teams...hopefuly the fans will get some sportsmenship...

Hope both make it back to the buro!

I really don't see where you're coming from on the "fans will get some sportsmanship..." thing. I didn't see any really bad sportsmanship.

And NO it is NOT "sad that a 4A POWERHOUSE almost lost to a 2A school." ALCOA is an anomally in the State of Tennessee and can play with anybody. It would have been sad if they would have beaten us just because it would be an "L" on our record. Was it sad when Alcoa beat McCallie last year. McCallie just beat the #1 ranked team in 5A. I have much respect for Alcoa and their program.

Their fans were fired up. Where do you get gold boxer shorts anyway? And our fans were fired up and it was a great game.

Maybe we could put the little 2A Alcoa up against your local team. That would probably be sad.

RED REBELS

I noticed that we had more players than Murvul as well. There are 33 Freshman dressing out. No wonder our band is so small! Who wants to be in the band when you can be part of the football team???

Now, to all of the Alcoa fans: Of course you're seeing a different style of football. WE HAVE A DIFFERENT COACH. I don't know what kind of football Alcoa played before Reid was here since we lived out of state, but obviously Rankin knows what he's doing. He's made these boys more of a team instead of a 3-4 man show. He's brought in more discipline and I really think it showed last night. I'm just really impressed with how those boys weren't intimidated by the red and black. That's one of the very few times I've been able to witness that. Cut Rankin some slack...it was the first game of our season; now he knows how the boys are going to react in a game situation. I'm sure even the scrimmages don't compare to real game situations.

Well done by both teams!!!