Top 5 Coaches to PLAY for in East Tenn

JC4life

Saw this on another site, decided to bring it to the masses. Obviously most everyone is going to say the HC of their team, so OTHER THAN the HC of your team whats your top 5 HC to PLAY for, NOT to hire. Who's the best players coach?

In my opinion

1A. GQ(Maryville) Seen his team outplayed, yet to see them outcoached. Had a scout tell me that Maryville is better coached than some colleges.

1B. Gary Rankin(Alcoa)Built the best team on the highest stage of HS football. Make mistakes and his team will flat out grind you into the dirt under their cleats.

2.Scott Meadows(William Blount) Probably the master of the Wing-T in Tenn, would go down on the list if this was about hiring to run my program, but from a pure coaching standpoint there aren`t many better.

3.Steve Brewer(Sevier Co) Before some other schools opened up in the region, Sevier Co was the best, most talented, and best coached team in the state bar none. They were what Maryville is now.

4.Graham Clark(DB) Most fundamentally sound team in the East outside of Maryville. Best come from behind coach in the state IMO

5.Buck Coatney(Fulton) Great motivator, gets the very best out of his kids, and has the rings to prove it.

Edited by JC4life

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on another site, decided to bring it to the masses. Obviously most everyone is going to say the HC of their team, so OTHER THAN the HC of your team whats your top 5 HC to PLAY for, NOT to hire. Who's the best players coach?

In my opinion

1A. GQ(Maryville) Seen his team outplayed, yet to see them outcoached. Had a scout tell me that Maryville is better coached than some colleges.

1B. Gary Rankin(Alcoa)Built the best team on the highest stage of HS football. Make mistakes and his team will flat out grind you into the dirt under their cleats.

2.Scott Meadows(William Blount) Probably the master of the Wing-T in Tenn, would go down on the list if this was about hiring to run my program, but from a pure coaching standpoint there aren`t many better.

3.Steve Brewer(Sevier Co) Before some other schools opened up in the region, Sevier Co was the best, most talented, and best coached team in the state bar none. They were what Maryville is now.

4.Graham Clark(DB) Most fundamentally sound team in the East outside of Maryville. Best come from behind coach in the state IMO

5.Buck Courtney(Fulton) Great motivator, gets the very best out of his kids, and has the rings to prove it.

Great list of coaches. I agree 100 percent!

In my opinion

5.Buck Courtney(Fulton) Great motivator, gets the very best out of his kids, and has the rings to prove it.

I believe you have to put McCallie's Ralph Potter on your list.

In my opinion

Coatney, not Courtney, has been "fortunate" to get a good run of great players...putting him in this list is pretty much a have to because of the rings. As far as Clark, D-B always seems to run the table or come close during the regular season, but they have underacheived in the playoffs year after year. They don't have a state title to their name since TSSAA went to classifications and the Clinic Bowl back in 1969...actually you have to go back a few more years to see their last "state title," which back in those days came off polls and such if I have been told right.

I'd take out Coatney and Clark and put in Don Woods from Morristown West and Gary Householder at Seymour. Those are two of the winningest coaches in the state as far as career records, though the bulk of Woods' wins came in Alabama.

Although he is still a young coach, Stanton Stevens has taken two high schools to the State Championship game. His Knoxville Austin-East team won the 2001 AAA State Title and his 2005 Class AAAAA Oak Ridge Wildcats finished second in the state. I believe he deserves to be mentioned among the best coaches in East Tennessee.

In the Chattanooga area, Tyner's Wayne Turner has dominated his region and won a State Championship. I do not know why he does not get more recognition across the state. If I had a son, I would send him to Tyner. Well, my first choice would be to send him two hours north to Oak Ridge but since I live in Hixson, Tyner would be the school I would pick. I also know several teachers at Tyner which influences my choice.

Everybody knows what I think of Quarles and his staff. Here are some other good coaches.

Joel Helton. Him and his staff do a very good job. There is a reason Central is good every year.

Don Woods. MOWest was 5-5 every year until he come along.

Gary Rankin. He built Riverdale into a power. Alcoa will be good for many years with him there now.

Scott Meadows. William Blount will get better. Has been succesful everywhere he has been.

Steve Brewer. Sevier County used to be a powerhouse. Building Pigeon Forge killed the Sevier County program.

Stanton Stevens. Brought AE back. Oak Ridge went to Blue Cross bowl in 1st year.

Graham Clark. Gets the most out of the Dobyns Bennett players.

Jeff Harig. Loudon was well coached when I watched them play Alcoa. Loudon didn't have the athletes to compete with Alcoa.

Webb and Catholics coaches are good.

Benny Hammonds. He has done a good job at Gatlinburg Pittman. GP doesn't have the athletes that a lot of schools have.

Householder of Seymour does a good job.