Football Regions with "Conference" Names

Red Rebels

I keep reading posts from "Upper East Tennessee" where people refer to their conference as the "Mountain Lakes Conference." They used to have the "BIG 10" or "BIG EAST" or maybe both up that way. I was just wondering is this anything official or is this just the way the schools or the media refer to that region. Region 1- 4A tells me alot more about where it is than a name. Is this just a throwback to the way it was before the playoffs started in 1969? Do we need to come up for a name for Region 3-4A?

I keep reading posts from "Upper East Tennessee" where people refer to their conference as the "Mountain Lakes Conference." They used to have the "BIG 10" or "BIG EAST" or maybe both up that way. I was just wondering is this anything official or is this just the way the schools or the media refer to that region. Region 1- 4A tells me alot more about where it is than a name. Is this just a throwback to the way it was before the playoffs started in 1969? Do we need to come up for a name for Region 3-4A?

Yo Red Rebel - Where you from, age etc. Do you play for Murvul, have akid there, etc. I have one who's a junior one out now and in the Marines (Iraq presently).

We ougt to name or region - "The Already Decided Champion" region.

The schools and the media refer to this region as the Mountain Lakes Conference. So, I guess it is official. Dobyns-Bennett's region is referred to as the Big East.

I think all Region 1 conferences have a nickname. All the Virginia schools do this. The Lonesome Pine district, Highlands district, etc.

This may help you out:

Link

Most of the names were given before the TSSAA begain it's current classification system and playoff senarios. They are not "officially recognized" by the TSSAA as conferences. The TSSAA goes strictly by the region format for football and the district/region format for the other sports in recognizing champions.

For instance, the old Knoxville City schools used to be a part of the "Knoxville Interscholastic League", or KIL for short. All of the schools, no matter how big they were, were a part of that league. It was established before the TSSAA began classifying schools by enrollment.

Now the KIL is not an official conference, but there are still "All KIL" teams and superlatives recognized for the schools in Knox County.

Edited by HTV

Most of the names were given before the TSSAA begain it's current classification system and playoff senarios. They are not "officially recognized" by the TSSAA as conferences. The TSSAA goes strictly by the region format for football and the district/region format for the other sports in recognizing champions.

For instance, the old Knoxville City schools used to be a part of the "Knoxville Interscholastic League", or KIL for short. All of the schools, no matter how big they were, were a part of that league. It was established before the TSSAA began classifying schools by enrollment.

Now the KIL is not an official conference, but there are still "All KIL" teams and superlatives recognized for the schools in Knox County.

Same with Nashville, NIL

The Big East Conference was formed with the establishment of the five classifications...prior to that, the AAA conference in northeast Tennessee was the Big 9 conference (was also the Big 10 and the Big 7, depending upon the numbers of schools)...the Big 9 moniker is still used in basketball, baseball, and other non-football sports.

Roll Tribe Roll