Did Maryville Play 3A when it was the top Division?

rigger101

I was looking over playoff records since 1969. I saw that Maryville was a dominate program in the 70's and again in the late 90's and 2000+.

I keep on seeing the debate about when Maryville goes to 5A they want be as dominate. (IMO you will be as dominate as any other 5A program.)

I was just wondering if Maryville played in 3A when it was the top Division in the State and if so why no final 4's etc.

Not bashing just trying to learn a little history on a great program.

Edited by rigger101

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Maryville went to 3A they had already lost Lynn Brown and Ted Wilson as coaches. Don Story resigned in 1987. Story coached 1 year in 3A. Maryville made the playoffs but lost to Central in the 1st round. Maryville didn't have near as good of coaching from 1987-1992 as they did in the 70s and now. Emory Hale only coached 1 year at Maryville. John Olive coached from 1989-1992. Olive struggled at Maryville.

Tim Hammontree struggled when he first came to Maryville. When George Quarles showed up at Maryville in 1995 things started going in the right direction. MHS went 11-1 in 1995 running the wingT. In 1996 Maryville started out slow. Maryville made a change in midseason from the wingT to the split back offense that Maryville is running now. Ever since then Maryville has dominated.

Coaching means everything. Maryville is dominant now because of Quarles and his staff. When Quarles and that staff leave Maryville will slip big time. I have seen Maryville slip before. Maryville was dominant when Ted Wilson,Don Story and Lynn Brown coached at Maryville. Maryville slipped big time when those guys left.

When Maryville went to 3A they had already lost Lynn Brown and Ted Wilson as coaches. Don Story resigned in 1987. Story coached 1 year in 3A. Maryville made the playoffs but lost to Central in the 1st round. Maryville didn't have near as good of coaching from 1987-1992 as they did in the 70s and now. Emory Hale only coached 1 year at Maryville. John Olive coached from 1989-1992. Olive struggled at Maryville.

Tim Hammontree struggled when he first came to Maryville. When George Quarles showed up at Maryville in 1995 things started going in the right direction. MHS went 11-1 in 1995 running the wingT. In 1996 Maryville started out slow. Maryville made a change in midseason from the wingT to the split back offense that Maryville is running now. Ever since then Maryville has dominated.

Coaching means everything. Maryville is dominant now because of Quarles and his staff. When Quarles and that staff leave Maryville will slip big time. I have seen Maryville slip before. Maryville was dominant when Ted Wilson,Don Story and Lynn Brown coached at Maryville. Maryville slipped big time when those guys left.

Thanks for the info. Yep, I agree "Coaching means everything" I saw it happen at my school when I played. Good Luck in 06!

Edited by rigger101

Hard to find a better coach and man than GQ.

Hard to find a better coach and man than GQ.

Don't say that to loud there are plenty of College teams out there looking for a Coach like GQ. IMO it's like the Farragut Baseball Coach all the fans know it's just a matter of time before the right school comes knocking with the big bucks!

You can only keep coaches of that caliber so long!

Make them an offer they cannot refuse!!!!godfather.jpg

Edited by rigger101

Rigger.

I hope no one takes Quarles away.

I will tell you a funny story. As you know Maryville takes a lot of heat because they are in 4A instead of 5A. People accuse Maryville of dodging 5A and being too chicken. Back in 1987 when the decision was made for Maryville to go to 3A did a lot of fans say it was about time? No they didn't. A lot of fans were saying Maryville was dodging Austin East because AE was kicking Maryville's butt at that time.At that time AE was the best team in East Tennessee. The 86 AE team was by far the best team in the state that year.

Rigger.

I will tell you a funny story. As you know Maryville takes a lot of heat because they are in 4A instead of 5A. People accuse Maryville of dodging 5A and being too chicken. Back in 1987 when the decision was made for Maryville to go to 3A did a lot of fans say it was about time? No they didn't. A lot of fans were saying Maryville was dodging Austin East because AE was kicking Maryville's butt at that time.At that time AE was the best team in East Tennessee. The 86 AE team was by far the best team in the state that year.

Someone is always trying to knock the king off the top!

It's tuff living on top of that hill isn't it! :thumb:

Do you think the new coach at Alcoa is going to make it more competitive? I liked his attitude in the locale press.

“It is a football town,” Rankin said of Alcoa. “There were between 200 to 300 people at the press conference. They are proud of their football tradition. It’s not a 5A school, it’s a 2A. But the A’s never made a difference to me.”

Should be a great game this year in that great Football community over there. I watched 3 over the last 6 years of living in Knoxville. It's a truely great football atmosphere at both schools.

Edited by rigger101

Rigger.

Maryville would do just fine in 5a. Honestly, I don't know what's holding them back. The school will be the largest in the county someday, if the administration doesn't hold it back. I live in Johnson City and I guarantee you they could beat Science Hill on any day and they are just as good as Kingsport DB. The scrimages are usually even. DB seems to be a little deeper, but it seems George has worked on that the last couple of years. That is the big difference from 5a to 4a in my opinion, the depth that is. Funny you would mention the 86 AE team. Carlton Flatt told me a few years back that the 86 AE team, the 89 Alcoa team and the 87 Jefferson County teams were the best he had seen in Tennessee while including his 81 & 88 teams in that fivesome, etc.

who cares Maryville is scared of the power houses of 5A so they stay in the dark while the real teams are out trying to win rings that count i mean you put all the 5A teams down in 4A and it will be a slaughter every friday night

:P Another really stupid post by a misinformed malcontent.