Bad situation at Powell High School

HTV

I did not intend to "pick" on Fulmer with my post. But do you honestly think his program is not lacking discipline? I know he cannot learn ahead of time about what guys are going to be like but until he kicks a starter off the team this trend will not likely change. And I disagree that you have to have a few cons around to have a successful program also. Discipline needs to be consistent and it is lacking on the hill. Last year players would get mad in practice and just walk off the field and not a word would be said. Trust me this is not hearsay it is fact. Fulmer is my favorite UT coach of all time, but he has let his program get away from him. The recent record, and the fact that we are now looking up at LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and others reflects that. By the way that awful Vanderbilt team beat us last year right?

Ok vanderbilt beat us for the first time in 20 something years. ya that means we should recruit the kind of mediocre players they do. no i dont think so, also you guys keep asking why did fulmer suspend johnson and kick lee off the team. look at it this way. pointing a fake gun at someone that has been instagating it does not have the ability to kill someone. a drunk eighteen year old kid behind the wheel of a car in a heavily populated area driving on the side walk does have the ability to kill someone, Just look at it that way

Edited by free4only1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a ton of respect for HTV.

He is always above board, honest

and looking for the best interest of those that he cares for.

Would like to hear his thoughts concerning this weeks events.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but i've been, and still am, on vacation since this all went down earlier in the week.

Obviously i'm sick over this situation. What I know has been through phone calls back home and what i've read online.

I've said all along that Lee is no angel, but he's not an axe murderer, either. That said, if what i've read and heard are true, which I have no reason to believe otherwise at this point, it is a very serious situation. Hopefully this will be the wakeup call that he needs to get things going back in a positive direction.

The one thing i'm sick of is the blame being put on the backs of the parents. That is misguided, from what i've witnessed personally. That's just wrong.

And for Reddevil1, you can kiss my butt, pal. I've never ducked any legit issue brought to this forum that I have knowledge of or am close to. Who started this thread in the first place? I don't need your approval or blessing on any issue.

Ok vanderbilt beat us for the first time in 20 something years. ya that means we should recruit the kind of mediocre players they do. no i dont think so, also you guys keep asking why did fulmer suspend johnson and kick lee off the team. look at it this way. pointing a fake gun at someone that has been instagating it does not have the ability to kill someone. a drunk eighteen year old kid behind the wheel of a car in a heavily populated area driving on the side walk does have the ability to kill someone, Just look at it that way

Very good point, I would have to agree with that! Both are stupid to do, but you really can't punish both for the same thing!

Well a media person and a preacher are two different things right? HTV has taken some shots over this and that is unwarranted. He is a staunch supporter of Powell High School, but that does not make him accountable for any misdeed of their players former or current IMO. I also support his defending of the parents. Kids who go astray = Parents who allowed it to happen is a ludicrous equation. All kinds of people go astray at times and kids, particularly those who have become celebrity types early on are the most vunerable.

This situation goes way beyond HS Football rivalries and neighborhood bickering. This is an 18 year old kid we are talking about and regardless of how we feel about what team he played for in high school we should all be hopeful he gets his act turned around while he is still young. That is my hope. We all forget this at times, and I am as guilty as most but these are KIDS we discuss on this board.

I have found HTV to be above board and accurate on the majority if not all of his posts. I have enjoyed some Powell/Maryville bantering on here with him but I have to have his back on this one.

getright,

Don't be mad at ole HTV. He's just mad because a former Powell player that has an abundance of athletic talent and ALMOST did what he wanted, when he wanted, got caught.

HTV, I knew you couldn't take it and you would comeback with something like "kiss my but, pal". Hey, Lee Smith can learn his lesson if he wants to and be an outstanding college player. Or, he won't learn diddley and continue down the path he is heading. Either way, the parents are a guiding force.

HTV, in your original post you said you wonder what goes or gets into adult minds. Were you including Lee as an adult? Or were you simply shifting all of the blame to the assistant principal (who has yet not been proven guilty). Lee Smith on the other hand has been proven guilty of driving on a sidewalk at UT, failing to initially stop for a police vehicle, hitting a parked car, and refusing to take a soberity field test. Do you think fat Phil would boot off a son of a UT legend (if only in DS's mind) without PROOF of his guilt.

Edited by reddevil1

I don't think anyone that has posted on here condones what Lee Smith did. He is being punished for his acts. I hope he learns from his mistakes.

I don't understand the poking at HTV. This is not his kid. At some point in time, kids have to be made accountable for their actions regardless of how they were raised. The DUI charge is also not a Powell issue. This is a UT/Smith family issue.

I hope that this circus ends soon and we can get back to football. With Issacs involved, I don't think the allegations against the Powell asst. principal will go away quietly, though.

HTV,

Good post. Most of the guys posting on this topic are clowns and have no clue. They are just haters.

Ole Dad

Sorry for the delay in responding, but i've been, and still am, on vacation since this all went down earlier in the week.

Obviously i'm sick over this situation. What I know has been through phone calls back home and what i've read online.

I've said all along that Lee is no angel, but he's not an axe murderer, either. That said, if what i've read and heard are true, which I have no reason to believe otherwise at this point, it is a very serious situation. Hopefully this will be the wakeup call that he needs to get things going back in a positive direction.

The one thing i'm sick of is the blame being put on the backs of the parents. That is misguided, from what i've witnessed personally. That's just wrong.

And for Reddevil1, you can kiss my butt, pal. I've never ducked any legit issue brought to this forum that I have knowledge of or am close to. Who started this thread in the first place? I don't need your approval or blessing on any issue.

I don't think anyone that has posted on here condones what Lee Smith did. He is being punished for his acts. I hope he learns from his mistakes.

I don't understand the poking at HTV. This is not his kid. At some point in time, kids have to be made accountable for their actions regardless of how they were raised. The DUI charge is also not a Powell issue. This is a UT/Smith family issue.

I hope that this circus ends soon and we can get back to football. With Issacs involved, I don't think the allegations against the Powell asst. principal will go away quietly, though.

Another good point.

Far too many kids get away with a great deal these days, in this case things have caught up to young Mr. Smith. Being in trouble or skirting it will eventually catch up with you in time somehow and somewhere when you least need it too.

HTV is a great supporter of his Team and I agree with MedMan this is not a Powell High School Football team issue. It is now a Law and family issue and because he was a local kid who had the opportunity to wear the Orange, of whose kid he was it has become a very public issue. Phil did the right thing and maybe Lee will get another chance a few years down the road, but UT does not need his problems right now or ever for that matter. I feel like the Asst Prin. issue is still not clear but the fact that Smith's name has been tossed around it is not good ether.

If you have never had teenagers you have no clue. Most parents try to do the right things but if your kid is going to be stupid, that just the way it is. I hope the kid learns a lesson but more impartially I hope all 18 year olds who aspire to play big time college football learn a lesson as well.

getright,

Don't be mad at ole HTV. He's just mad because a former Powell player that has an abundance of athletic talent and ALMOST did what he wanted, when he wanted, got caught.

HTV, I knew you couldn't take it and you would comeback with something like "kiss my but, pal". Hey, Lee Smith can learn his lesson if he wants to and be an outstanding college player. Or, he won't learn diddley and continue down the path he is heading. Either way, the parents are a guiding force.

HTV, in your original post you said you wonder what goes or gets into adult minds. Were you including Lee as an adult? Or were you simply shifting all of the blame to the assistant principal (who has yet not been proven guilty). Lee Smith on the other hand has been proven guilty of driving on a sidewalk at UT, failing to initially stop for a police vehicle, hitting a parked car, and refusing to take a soberity field test. Do you think fat Phil would boot off a son of a UT legend (if only in DS's mind) without PROOF of his guilt.

Exactly what didn't I take? I answered the questions. I didn't duck anything or anybody.

Where have I excused Lee for anything he has allegedly done? Produce it, or stop your absurd rant. And get your facts correct - Lee has been arrested, not found guilty yet. Again, I have no reason to doubt what was alleged, but you seem to be the one wanting to split hairs.

Again, I don't need your blessings or approval for anything I say or do. You can, indeed, kiss my butt if you don't like it.

Edited by HTV

HTV "Kiss your butt,pal?" is that really the way that a media person talks?

Here's a scoop for you: Those in the media are just like everybody else. Sometimes they speak their mind, when it's called for. I'll even go further in saying that i'll bet doctors, lawyers, businessmen, teachers, coaches, and even you, may come up with something similar at times. :unsure:

I'm not here in a media responsiblity, so I simply try to blend in with this group. What I said was mild compared to much of what is posted here. I'm just trying to blend in with the rest of this group and lend a bit of reason and fact here and there.

I do appreciate the fact that you know I am part of the media. Please continue to patronize our sponsors and advertisers.