Alcoa Football

rigger101

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SORRY I SHOULD HAVE CLARIFIED MY QUESTION.I MEANT IN RELATIONSHIP TO ALL CLASSIFICATIONS.ARE YOU SAYING THEY WOULD HAVE MADE A RUN THROUGH THE 5A STATE PLAYOFFS

Who knows......some say no way, some say they would be competitive??

The only 5A team Alcoa lined up against last year was Oak Ridge in a pre-season scrimmage. The scrimmage was a defensive battle with Alcoa scoring on the last play with both teams starters to end 1-0.

Anyway that was last year.........its time to see how the Rankin lead team does. :thumb:

SORRY I SHOULD HAVE CLARIFIED MY QUESTION.I MEANT IN RELATIONSHIP TO ALL CLASSIFICATIONS.ARE YOU SAYING THEY WOULD HAVE MADE A RUN THROUGH THE 5A STATE PLAYOFFS

Ravenwood , Oak Ridge , and Riverdale may have beat Alcoa in the playoffs or championship game but other than those three , yes I believe they would have made a run through the 5A playoffs.

I don't think a lot of Maryville fans hate Alcoa. I know I don't. I think most from both sides feel like we hate each other one Friday night a year and that is it. Alcoa has a very long and rich athletic tradition in both football and basketball. With the tradition Maryville enjoys it just makes the rivalry even more unique. When these two teams play on Aug 25th it will make the third time since 2000 that two defending State champions have squared off. This sends an already electric atmosphere right through the roof.

Maryville and Alcoa fans keep up with each other and yeah we bicker back and forth kind of like brothers do. But they have my total respect and I would like to think they feel the same way about us. As for any haters that may exist it is like another poster said "success breeds contempt". Each year that we have both made it to Murfreesboro I have gone down a day early and cheered for them on Friday night, and have seen many of them doing the same for us on Saturday. I am hoping that I am able to do that again in four months or so.

Edited by mhs

My take on it is that talent runs in cycles at schools like Alcoa. For several years, you may have a boatload of talent. But eventually the talent pool bottoms out. Case in point, Greenback. For YEARS they were a powerhouse in 1a ball. Then all the talent left (although I think what REALLY happened was they couldn't get Austin James a 10th year of eligibility. :lol: ). Anyway, when the talent bottomed out at Greenback, it was pretty evident that they weren't the powerhouse they were. My point is that Alcoa needs to cherish this good fortune while they have it because it could be gone before you know it.

Ravenwood , Oak Ridge , and Riverdale may have beat Alcoa in the playoffs or championship game but other than those three , yes I believe they would have made a run through the 5A playoffs.

You can add Wilson Central and Cookeville's teams from '05 to that list :thumb:

Alcoa was a Top 10 OVERALL team in the state last year but they weren't Top 5 overall. That was proven when they got it handed to 'em by Maryville.

They did beat Goodpasture in the title game last year but I still wish it had been Alcoa-Huntingdon playing in that game instead. It would have been a much better game matchup wise but Huntingdon just fell apart late in the Goodpasture game in the semifinals.

I don't think a lot of Maryville fans hate Alcoa. I know I don't. I think most from both sides feel like we hate each other one Friday night a year and that is it. Alcoa has a very long and rich athletic tradition in both football and basketball. With the tradition Maryville enjoys it just makes the rivalry even more unique. When these two teams play on Aug 25th it will make the third time since 2000 that two defending State champions have squared off. This sends an already electric atmosphere right through the roof.

Maryville and Alcoa fans keep up with each other and yeah we bicker back and forth kind of like brothers do. But they have my total respect and I would like to think they feel the same way about us. As for any haters that may exist it is like another poster said "success breeds contempt". Each year that we have both made it to Murfreesboro I have gone down a day early and cheered for them on Friday night, and have seen many of them doing the same for us on Saturday. I am hoping that I am able to do that again in four months or so.

I just wish that Alcoa and Maryville could both play on the same day in Murfreesboro. Back in the '70's Maryville and Alcoa both played for a Championship on the same night at Alcoa High School. I believe it was '78.

No Hate here either...

RED REBELS

I have to agree with most of the Maryville fans in this: Alcoa and Maryville are hated sooooo much because they are known for winning games. It's not a hate between Alcoa and Maryville it's more like a passion to win. Being an Alcoa student, I'll admit during the infamous Rivalry Week I do my share of smack talking although after last year I will watch how much noise I make. but the fact is that Alcoa and Maryville's success has left people hating us because they are tired of hearing us on top of the scoreboard. I believe this saying says it the best: LOVED, HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED. Excpet for the BIG GAME, I wish Maryville the best of luck this season and hopefully I will be watching yall compete for a 3-peat as well as the Tornadoes!