Urban Legands or true stories

superwho?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, there was the time when Obion Central fans put cow chips under the visiting bleachers for the Union City game. .... Or, was that UC fans putting the dung under OC's bleachers? .... anyway, that was an interesting night. :P

of course, the favorite chear at UC during OC week was (and, still is) .....

SHOOOOO WEEEEEE! WHAT'S THAT SMELL? C-E-N-T-R-A-L ! ! ! ! :lol:

OC and UC used to have (and might still do, I don't know) a "Tacky Day" the day of the game or the day before. Lots of girls dating football players at the other school would wear his jersey to school that day. :lol:

funny how the ol' clock at Milan's Johnnie Hale Stadium used to flicker off at just the right time during the John Tucker era. :lol:

This is sorta off the topic but I have heard stories of a TAFT player scoring and he didn't stop runing...jumped the fence and took off...anyone else heard this story??? Urban Legend??? :lol:

Well, I'm not sure if this is the same story you're referring to, but in 1994 Taft played at a jamboree at Coalfield and a Taft player ran. As I heard, he dashed to the little store just down the road from Coalfield school. He tried to use the pay phone but was caught soon after. I just bet that there are a lot of similiar stories about Taft!! I bet you Coalfield folks remember this?

As to the Taft player escaping...I have heard that this happened at Boyd Buchanan back in the late 70's or early 80's. The player scored a TD running toward the levee (before it was a swamp) and just ran right up the levee and was gone. Maybe some old-timers from BBS can verify and/or clarify this story.

Edited by supersteve17

This is sorta off the topic but I have heard stories of a TAFT player scoring and he didn't stop runing...jumped the fence and took off...anyone else heard this story??? Urban Legend??? :lol:

There is some version of this story from every place they have played. Maybe it happened at all of them, maybe at some of them. Most of the time it ends with the player ran a touchdown, jumped/climed/crawled under the fence and kept going. Some versions say he was found in a field, caught along the road or was spotted at some gas station. Most of the time the player still had his uniform on. Like I said though, it may have actually happened each time. I don't know.

Well, I'm not sure if this is the same story you're referring to, but in 1994 Taft played at a jamboree at Coalfield and a Taft player ran. As I heard, he dashed to the little store just down the road from Coalfield school. He tried to use the pay phone but was caught soon after. I just bet that there are a lot of similiar stories about Taft!! I bet you Coalfield folks remember this?

Yeah, I don't think it was as flamboyant as running a touchdown and not stopping. I think he was "out of place" and located off campus. Ever since this happened when Taft rolls in, which is not often anymore, armed Correctional Officers are placed in strategic locations throughout the stadium.

I remember when I was in h.s. we were playing a visiting Taft team in baseball. Coalfield fouled one off into the woods near right field (where the practice football field is now) and the Taft right fielder was going to retrieve the ball but he was told immediately to return to the playing surface. A Coalfield player then went and got the ball. So precautions are now taken, as they were then. It is my experience more is taken now, meaning, something did happen like at Coalfield.

Edited by CYJacket

I have heard stories like the Taft story before from West TN, but they always involved Bolivar with Western State being so nearby, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Another one I was a part of was my junior year there was a rumor going around that a gang in Jackson was going to kill the first player who scored a touchdown in our game versus South Side. I believe there ended up being more cops than fans at the game.

Similar scnerio was repeated last year at the Lexington/Chester Co. game. If you ever wanted to rob a bank, Henderson TN was the place to be that day. I think every cop in Chester Co. was at that game.

I played for Collinwood from 1986-90 and Spring Hill had a running back named Orlando Wade. Everyone said the coaches were putting Vaseline on his legs to keep him being tackled. I really dont know, the only shot I had at him was when he busted through the line and stepped on my chest. I could hear him laughing as he went by. My one chance to shine as a Freshman. Bummer. ;)