Most Annoying Thing at High School Games

Solomon

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

this is some funny stuff...Mine would be a variant of #2--dad of the kicker/punter.

Nothing wrong with kickers/punters, and it's an important part of the game of course. But I watched a game a few years ago with the dad of the punter (who did not play a regular position as well). It was a terrific game, and the kicking game had very little impact overall...the guy's son punted probably 4-5 times on the night. All the guy could do is yap about the kid's punts. And he wanted me to be equally enthralled by it. I'm talking several plays after the punt, he is still claiming--"man, that punt could change the game. Did you see it? Did you see how high he extended his leg? We worked on that all summer. His putning coach says he is way ahead of all the other punters at this stage. Could you tell, was this hang time more than the last? I need to look at the film for tomorrow. That last snap looked off, but ___ made a nice adjustment. That's the sort of thing they are looking at for the next level...." blah, blah, blah...I had to move.

Honestly, when "his" team won the game he was only marginally happy about it, and desperately was trying to convince everyone that it was the punting that was the difference.

I have never actually met someone who thinks there child is so great that they talk about it at a football game. I think this is a myth and people just complain about it even if they've never encountered a real person who has ever acted this way.

Ha!

Talk to any coach in any small town, and there is at least one dad every year.

Solomon - your comments on the band are way off the mark. You may have the name, but didn't acquire wisdom to go with it.

Why? Becasue I listed 7 reasons as to why I didn't like high school bands? Do I enjoy some of them? Yes, actually, I do. In some instances, mainly where they understand their role and don't try to be the center of attention the entire game, they can be quite enjoyable. But those are few and far between. Everything I listed as a reason came from personal experiences in life that I have bounced off others and everyone agreed with.

Ok...the thing that gets on my nerves are the parents that think their child is just the second coming...ridiculous...

In my opinion......

It's worse when a coach thinks an "average" player is "the second coming."

I know this is rare, but it's extremely annoying. Not everyone lives up to the constant hype.

I prefer a hard worker over someone with "potential" anyday. Potential is something that has not happened yet. Hard work gets it done.

Thanks to the players that give 100% every Friday night. They are the reason we put up with all the other annoyances. B)

Word.

Add to that a bad band. I don't mind a band that sounds like they know what they're doing.

I totally agree 100%. Some of them used to be good a while back but now some just look and sound so bad it's not even funny.

Someone mentioned the train horn at Portland. They still have that thing? And yes, it is very annoying.

Edited by bellgo

In my opinion......

It's worse when a coach thinks an "average" player is "the second coming."

I know this is rare, but it's extremely annoying. Not everyone lives up to the constant hype.

I prefer a hard worker over someone with "potential" anyday. Potential is something that has not happened yet. Hard work gets it done.

Thanks to the players that give 100% every Friday night. They are the reason we put up with all the other annoyances. :blink:

You can say that again. Last year we had a guy who could do no wrong in the coach's eyes. It was so obvious that the other players called him Jesus. He kept quitting and the coach let him come back because the team "needed" him. Well, last year he only played in 4 games, but he got one of the biggest awards at banquet, and then quit football for good.

But be nicer to the dads. The parent in our stands who thinks their child can do no wrong is a mom.

Another thing I've noticed the past few years at high school football games not only in TN but in other states is bands not going to away football games (even if it's just an hour or two away). I just think it shows a lack of school spirit. I understand when a band doesn't go because of marching band competitions that same weekend or to a certain extent $$ issues.

Ok...I'll be the one to stick up for the band. They're very dedicated and are at every game just like the football players and cheerleaders. Their job is also to get the crowd going. As far as playing during plays...it is against the rules and any band who does it is the exception to the rest. And in case you didn't notice their are almost as many Band Parents at football games as their are player parents. Everyone shows support for their school...just in different ways. So what's the problem. If your band isn't very good however, I feel for you. But you should still be supportive. PS- More band students will get scholarships to play in the band than athletes will get to play football in college. We should support the school and its students as a whole...not just the players on the field.

However, I agree with a lot of the other annoying factors listed. Just thought someone should take up for the bands.

the band annoys me...especially since there are only 30 people in the entire band...including "color gaurd"