ALCOA

pharmacist

" Rankin began to throw the ball down the field to his playmakers and that will mean trouble for all of the DB's in 2A because there isnt a team in the state that has 2 DB's to matchup with Kyrus and Brian all night long. And if you double them or pay to much attention to them, then whoop, Shiverdecker breaks for about a 60 yard TD run"

And, if you think you have him covered, Tate is there to run the ball in for another td. Think everybody's covered then??? Watch out for Cobb!!!

Sorry. I just don't think this is the year for a 2A team to beat Alcoa. They'll have to wait at least another year, maybe longer. The freshman team beat Maryville and Fulton. Talent in the making!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Rankin began to throw the ball down the field to his playmakers and that will mean trouble for all of the DB's in 2A because there isnt a team in the state that has 2 DB's to matchup with Kyrus and Brian all night long. And if you double them or pay to much attention to them, then whoop, Shiverdecker breaks for about a 60 yard TD run"

And, if you think you have him covered, Tate is there to run the ball in for another td. Think everybody's covered then??? Watch out for Cobb!!!

Sorry. I just don't think this is the year for a 2A team to beat Alcoa. They'll have to wait at least another year, maybe longer. The freshman team beat Maryville and Fulton. Talent in the making!!!

Not to mention that the Middle school team beat Maryville 40 something to 0 last night.

Apparently you haven't watched an Alcoa game this year. Alcoa is about as deep as you can be for a 2A school. Their numbers are higher than last year. Yes they had players go on to sign with major colleges but it will be the same thing this year. Rae Sykes is headed to either LSU, Tennessee, or Florida State. Brian Sommers is either Tennessee or South Carolina. Kyrus Lanxter has already committed to West Virginia. Chris Shiverdecker is getting some interest from Tennessee.

Here is why Alcoa is better than Goodpasture. Number 1: Alcoa has more talent and more athletes. Number 2: Alcoa has played the best that Tennesse has to offer (Maryville, Fulton, McCallie) and has nearly won both those games. Number 3: Alcoa's rush defense. Number 4: Gary Rankin as head coach. Number 5: Alcoa is the 2 time defending champion and they know how to win.

No doubt, Goodpasture is probably much improved than last year. But before there can be any talk about how much better Goodpasture (or any other 2A team) supposedly is than Alcoa, they need to back it up and actually compete with Alcoa. Until that happens, Alcoa is 5-6 TD's better than Goodpasture (55-10 or 16, whatever the score was last year).

I believe Goodpasture will win the State Championship this year. The game last year at the State Championship is the first time Alcoa has blown out Goodpasture if you look back at all of the times they have faced each other in the playoffs. That is only one year and one game. This year it will be a good game and I am not going to change my mind just because you guys put up a lot of stats on this message board. They are a very good team but they are not the only good team in the state. To here you guys tell it, no other team including 5A teams could stay on the field with Alcoa. Plus, if you are saying all of this, I know you have not seen Goodpasture play this year. 5 or 6 TD's better, it is not going to happen this year. Goodpasture beat David Lipscomb (3A) and JP II (Div. II) which are two really good teams. They clearly won those games and if I remember correctly Alcoa got beat by those first two teams and meet the third team in McCallie tonight. I am sure if Alcoa does not win tonight there will be some other reason why they didn't win that too. Bottom line is that you guys are going to pull for your school and the same goes for Goodpasture. All of this will be settled in the State Championship if and when both teams make it.

I believe Goodpasture will win the State Championship this year. The game last year at the State Championship is the first time Alcoa has blown out Goodpasture if you look back at all of the times they have faced each other in the playoffs. That is only one year and one game. This year it will be a good game and I am not going to change my mind just because you guys put up a lot of stats on this message board. They are a very good team but they are not the only good team in the state. To here you guys tell it, no other team including 5A teams could stay on the field with Alcoa. Plus, if you are saying all of this, I know you have not seen Goodpasture play this year. 5 or 6 TD's better, it is not going to happen this year. Goodpasture beat David Lipscomb (3A) and JP II (Div. II) which are two really good teams. They clearly won those games and if I remember correctly Alcoa got beat by those first two teams and meet the third team in McCallie tonight. I am sure if Alcoa does not win tonight there will be some other reason why they didn't win that too. Bottom line is that you guys are going to pull for your school and the same goes for Goodpasture. All of this will be settled in the State Championship if and when both teams make it.

Dude i dont care how the past is we are living and the future and Alcoa is going to stop you all if u make it there which i say u probably will but i would say it will be a another blowout game wid Alcoa gettin another gold ball.

Never once have I even mentioned a 5A school in this conversation. Nor have I made excuses for the 2 losses other than to say that either game could have gone in Alcoa's favor. I've not seen Goodpasture in person but what I do know is that Maryville and Fulton are tops in their division. And that the PJP II is not as good as last year. Just because the school is bigger doesn't mean anything. Alcoa used to beat William Blount and Heritage (both 5A) consistently but have always struggled to beat Maryville.

THE bottom line is that until Goodpasture beats Alcoa they have no room to talk. In 2000 Alcoa went to Goodpasture in the semis and beat them. Goodpasture did win in 2001 but only due to an Alcoa penalty which negated the Tornadoes from running out the clock. If the penalty doesn't happen, GP does not block the punt and Alcoa would have beaten Goodpasture in '05, '00, and '01. If my stats are correct, Alcoa beat Goodpasture in the '70s for a state title as well.

Don't kid yourself into believing that Goodpasture could beat Maryville or Fulton. Won't happen. And they wouldn't be within 3 points like Alcoa was either.

truly alcoa is a great team. but they are beatable. mccallie will be a true test because untill this game they have not have faced a talented team with professional coaching. we will see friday how good they really are

man u must be crazy..so you are saying maryville and fulton is not talented. :ph34r: ..them are 2 of the best teams in the state..and i guess we will see how good alcoa is.in my opionion alcoa will roll through 2a.

Never once have I even mentioned a 5A school in this conversation. Nor have I made excuses for the 2 losses other than to say that either game could have gone in Alcoa's favor. I've not seen Goodpasture in person but what I do know is that Maryville and Fulton are tops in their division. And that the PJP II is not as good as last year. Just because the school is bigger doesn't mean anything. Alcoa used to beat William Blount and Heritage (both 5A) consistently but have always struggled to beat Maryville.

THE bottom line is that until Goodpasture beats Alcoa they have no room to talk. In 2000 Alcoa went to Goodpasture in the semis and beat them. Goodpasture did win in 2001 but only due to an Alcoa penalty which negated the Tornadoes from running out the clock. If the penalty doesn't happen, GP does not block the punt and Alcoa would have beaten Goodpasture in '05, '00, and '01. If my stats are correct, Alcoa beat Goodpasture in the '70s for a state title as well.

Don't kid yourself into believing that Goodpasture could beat Maryville or Fulton. Won't happen. And they wouldn't be within 3 points like Alcoa was either.

JP II is about the same as last years team from a person who was at

the game when they played Goodpasture. And for as how good they are, they just beat MBA last night by 7 points and MBA is tops in Div. II every single year.

David Lipscomb has a really good football team and will probaly go to the 3A state championship this year or at least go far into the playoffs. Just like Aloca, Goodpasture has played 2 really good teams outside of 2A but only difference being that Goodpasture won there games and Alcoa did not.

I am not going to sit here and watch someone run Goodpasture in the ground because of one game played a year ago (THE bottom line is that until Goodpasture beats Alcoa they have no room to talk). As far as the penalty happening, that is just part of the game. A lot of penalties happen during the course of games so that is not an excuse to use. I could have said that about '00 at Goodpasture about several penalties in that game that would have had Goodpasture winning but that is just part of all games played and in '01 the punt was blocked leading Goodpasture to a victory at Alcoa.

Yes Alcoa did beat Goodpasture in the 70's when Goodpasture just started their school. That was before my time so I do not know much about the history back then(Goodpasture est. 1965). I do know there history in the more recent years and more importantly, I know about there history of Goodpasture playing Alcoa. They are two great teams that give all they have when they play each other. I love watching high school football especially when these two teams meet.

We disagree on the middle ground of their series. Alcoa are the defending Champions until proven otherwise this year. My opinion is that Goodpasture will beat Alcoa and prove otherwise.

With their win over McCallie tonight, I don't know how you could possibly pick against them winning state in 2A. They won't face a team tougher than McCallie the rest of the year, no doubt about it.

Do you have any details on this game? The last score I saw was 17-15 Alcoa, then the final. Did McCallie ever take the lead after being down 17-9?