4A better than 5A?

rigger101

...And Tennessee High came within 34 points of Dobyns-Bennett last night. What have 4A teams done against the 5A teams that made it past the 2nd round of last years playoffs?

They were close in several game statistics, especially on defense. But of course you had to be at the game or listening on the radio to know that.

Usually the teams with the best traditions of winning and coaching are the best, regardless of classification.

Do you think there is a team in 5A that can beat Maryville this year?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Good 5A programs have lost to good an average 4A programs.

Farragut has lost to Knox Central and Powell. WB lost to Maryville. Cookevile lost to Cleveland. Hendersonville lost to Beach.

Looks like a trend to me. Does anyone else have examples?

We might have to many classifications in our state. Give me the days of 3A and no D-II.

Let them play. Alcoa has proved that the small schools can hold their own.

Well a little different example, Alcoa could beat a few good or better than average 4a teams, so what is your point?

I don't think there is a lot of difference in the top 5 4A & 5A schools year in and year out.

Here in Memphis we have Melrose in 4A and they can play with anyone around here. They lost a close one to MUS and won a close one against CBHS. I think they play one 5A team. I don't know how they would do if they had to play a 5A team each week. I don't think their overall record would be what it is now unless they got put in Reg. 7 like we did.

When Ridgeway was in 3A and 4A we played White Station (5A) and we beat them alot of times. If fact last night we had a 3 beat a 5, not a top 5 but still a 5.

I don't look at what class a team is in, I look at the team vs. team. I'm sure it is the same in the east as it is here, alot of schools move from one division to another but they still play their ole rival school no matter what class they are in.

As far as how many different dividisions we have, how else are you going to do it? No way you can put the private in with the public schools.

So in answer to the question of which is the best, "On any given night any team can beat another team no matter what class they are in."

if you think about it, the size of your school has nothing to do with the size of your talent pool....so what is the point of this question?

I would argue that point.

There are lots of varibles but size helps.

Farragut excels in in the majority of their sports programs becasue of their size. My point was that this year the good to avg 4 A team has won their fair share against good 5A programs. I feel that there isn't a big differance.

In the days of 3A we played at the highest level with 750 kids in our school (38 football players) against the largest schools in the State. 90% of the our team played both ways. When we played the larger schools they had the advantage going in the 4th qtr with kids playing one way.

We went 9-2 my senior year but I would say the larger schools had advantage on the talent pool.

Yes, "anybody can beat anybody on any given friday" Alcoa proved that against a very highly rated McCallie!

Edited by rigger101

They were close in several game statistics, especially on defense. But of course you had to be at the game or listening on the radio to know that.

Usually the teams with the best traditions of winning and coaching are the best, regardless of classification.

Do you think there is a team in 5A that can beat Maryville this year?

Yes. What does close in some statistics matter?

4a and 5a isn't much of a difference in my opinion. 200-300 student difference in a schools total numbers should not change a schools football talent. You can say all you want about Alcoa being so good and beating 4a/5a teams but when it comes down to it they have tons of talent there. 3 D-1 signees already this year... Come on... When I looked at Alcoa's roster it looked like they had 60-70 kids on their roster. Thats alot for a 2-a school. Thats more than Ooltewah.

OK, granted teams like Maryville and Melrose can hang with 5A schools, but the majority cannot. Heck there are a BUNCH of 5A schools that cannot hang with the top 5A schools regularly. That is one reason we see the same schools over and over at the top of polls.

Some interesting 4A vs 5A games I would pay to see.

Maryville vs DB

Melrose vs Germantown

Melrose vs Ridgeway

Heck even Maryville vs Riverdale! :thumb: