CLINTON AND LENIOR CITY

NOGARDNAF

:( I am not really sure I really understand the issue. The middle school championship is not a state championship just a championship within the area and teams that they play. I really don't see why this is an injustice. Please explain this. I don't think you were the one that said there is no talent or that A.S. hides it well, there are several players with talent (Ollis, Allen, Acres, Chapman, Frye's, Hazelhurst, Hood, Hester, and several JV and Freshmen (Sharpe, Willard, CJ and more) will and to the talent.

No I did not make the comment about the talent there is wonderful talent at Clinton and more is on the way. What I was referencing there is the fact that when the middle schoolers win the regional championship or whatever it actually is, they are told they are the best in the state. When they start playing freshman ball they soon realize that the state is a great big place and they have not seen much of it. However if you talk to the parents of these freshman they think it is absolutely atrocious that they are not winning every ball game they play just as they did a year ago. And they will tell you that they were state champs. When this happens they blame A.S. What needs to happen is for these middle school coaches to start calling this championship what it is (not a state championship). I know about this first hand because my son played at the middle school two years ago.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I did not make the comment about the talent there is wonderful talent at Clinton and more is on the way. What I was referencing there is the fact that when the middle schoolers win the regional championship or whatever it actually is, they are told they are the best in the state. When they start playing freshman ball they soon realize that the state is a great big place and they have not seen much of it. However if you talk to the parents of these freshman they think it is absolutely atrocious that they are not winning every ball game they play just as they did a year ago. And they will tell you that they were state champs. When this happens they blame A.S. What needs to happen is for these middle school coaches to start calling this championship what it is (not a state championship). I know about this first hand because my son played at the middle school two years ago.

Okay, Thank You I fully get what you are saying. My son was also on a "Championship" team. And yes it is rude awakening for the parents and the kids. Why do you think that they will continue to win some as freshmen and then as they go thru the high school ranks they seem to regress. I know the level of competion gets harder but should we not improve as well just by experience alone.

I'll bet you were not complaining then, when your son won it. No one at the middle school that I know of has ever told the kids they are state champs, but yes, they have one the only championship they can. Why does that matter anyway? Should the middle school just lose so the kids can get used to it? Come on, you should be proud of the kids. A winning tradition is established in middle school, carried over into Freshman ball and then is lost in the shuffle. It is up to the high school coaches to keep the kids hungry and motivated. When the middle school wins they have set the precedent. What is the record of the past three freshmen teams? I would say that it would be pretty good, great even. It is pretty sad when we blame our failures at the high school level on the success of the middle school. Does that even make sense? Besides, this is a high school thread and our kids are in high school. The way you build a program is to forget about the past and look to the future. We have to be more than tired of losing to get better, we have to be prepared to win.

Alright, alright, I said to myself that I wasn't coming back to CoachT but I can't take it anymore. Here are the facts. Clinton Middle School has been pretty good over the past several years. At the middle school level, film, strength conditioning, kicking, blocking schemes, passing and receivers, just to name a few, aren't quite as critical as the High School level. For the most part its run right, run left and defenses aren't near as complex at the middle school level. One kid can somewhat dominate at the middle school level and most of the time its a running back. If there is any truth to what I'm saying then let's look at the Middle school teams of the past. When Clinton Middle school started its run at the local championship, Brandon Davis was the running back. How is he doing at Clinton you ask? He isn't doing anything because he is the running back for 7-0 Coalfield. He's rushed for almost 1000 yards this season with a mear 11 touchdown. We haven't score 11 touchdowns all season. Tyler Sutherd (not sure of the spelling) was the next after Davis and where is he at now. He doesn't play football. Why? My belief is that the Clinton High School doesn't have an identity in football. You've all heard that if you want to play real football, you've got to got to Anderson County. Facts are facts. AC having a down year, may be the best thing to ever happen to Clinton's program. If you are a good player that loves to compete, the decision to play for a good football isn't so obvious now. The new stadium, new equipment (booster club is being led by some really energize people) and the new offensive scheme, should at least tempt some of the better players to suit up every year. Also, with the rest of the Clinton High Schools sports being lack luster, maybe more athletes will chose to put on the pads.

There are many more players than that! Honestly, almost any school that has Brandon Davis, they will win, Jonathan Sharp went to AC, Logan Disney went to AC, and many more, they all started at Clinton Middle School, I can see Westin Hazlehurst being one of the highest College recruits in Tennessee his Senior year, if he continues to get better, he has been our leading rusher, and leading tackler the past to games, and may I say, he is a FRESHMAN!! As for the Nick guy, he didnt want to play!

Please understand that I'm not saying at the high school level that the O-line isn't important. What I'm saying is that Clinton has struggled keeping some of their talent at the middle school level and getting to show up for the high school team. We have lost players to other schools, players don't want to play or simply put, the ones that do play haven't developed into the difference makers. While I love our team and the kids, fact is, we seem to be missing the impact players that other teams seem to have.

I think it's great that you stand by the kids and the coach in times of trouble but get real. No player development under Stattuck. Sounds like the weightroom and field will be nice for the improving 1-9 Dragons. Where is the improvement on the field? High school ball doesn't take three years to improve. All Clinton players should transfer to other schools where 1-9 isn't seen as improving but a disgrace.