Oak Ridge at William Blount

TG24

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely cannot wait for Friday night. It's been a long three weeks on the road. It will be good to see the green, green grass of Mike White field and to sit in the friendly confines of the Holden Lail Press Box. If any representatives of Up the Creek Fish Camp happen to read this ... whatever happened to the free food for the press box??? Random thoughts:

* Funny that some of the OR faithful have talked about having to "beat the referees" when the come to Blount. Most WB folks would want to argue with you that we never feel like the refs call for us. But many that have played here would argue otherwise. Hopefully, whichever way the game goes, no one will leave "blaming the referees."

* WB has never won against OR, but over the course of the past few seasons, have often competed well against the Cats. On the surface, it would look like this might be a prime opportunity for the Govs to finally break the jinx. But you have to know, the Cats are coming in ready to prove they are still a prestigious football program.

* WB is "oh so close" to being 3 & 0 in the region and being in the drivers seat. Two losses by a total of what? ... 5 points I think. Both opponents scoring on their last drive of the game. We can complain all we want about "bad calls" but the truth is, in both losses, if we can pick up "ONE" first down in the "crunch", we are in first place right now. As it stands, our backs are against the wall. Yes, we want to avoid the 4th place in the region finish, BUT right now, we better just worry about IF we get in or not.

*There is "no quit" in this WB team (I'm sure the same is true of OR). I was real impressed with Coach Meadow's post game comments to his team after the Farragut game. I believe "we're building" ... I know the guys have had a great week of practice, and I expect they WILL be ready to go. People need to remember this is a 'young' team.

*I truly believe this is a team that can get 2 - 3 games into the playoffs. We need to avoid DB in the first round ... if we can do that, we can win round one and who knows, maybe get another shot at Ooltewah (knowing that many folks who watched the earlier match-up would say that Blount and Ooltewah are very evenly matched).

*In my opinion, however well we end up doing this year, I believe next year's team will be even better. Lots of good, young talent starting to step up and contribute each week. I would assume the Cats are young as well???

*Can't promise you that the WB public address announcer will be as exciting as the guy who does it at McMinn County. That dude really loves his team!!!

*Look forward to hosting a tradition rich, classy football team and fan base on Friday night. Good luck to OR!!!

OR may have more difficulty passing the ball this game, their starting QB is out for the year due to an injury to his throwing hand. Now we will see who can get the job done or just talk about it. The shields are now taken away and the game will still go on. Seniors must buckle down and get it done.

Gulmire is out for the season? When did that happen?

It will be good to see the green, green grass of Mike White field and to sit in the friendly confines of the Holden Lail Press Box.

Can't promise you that the WB public address announcer will be as exciting as the guy who does it at McMinn County.

Gov-man does the Holden Lail Press Box allow acetylene torches, lanterns, flammable liquids, kindling, coal oil lamps, kitchen stick matches, C-4, open flame candles, or Zippos into the pressbox? :angry:

The W.B. public address announcer may not be as exciting as the McMinn County feller, but he has big ole speakers and mega watts at his disposal. I've heard if the wind is drifting just right through Alnwick, that you can sit in the parking lot at the old Harold Kidd Store and hear every call made by the P.A. man and listen to some awesome pre-game tunes. :angry:

Edited by STARSNBARS

OR may have more difficulty passing the ball this game, their starting QB is out for the year due to an injury to his throwing hand. Now we will see who can get the job done or just talk about it. The shields are now taken away and the game will still go on. Seniors must buckle down and get it done.

I hate to hear about the injury, I hope he has a speedy recovery. The fans (all fans) need to get behind the replacement QB, and cheer for success and a win for the boys, regardless of what has been posted on CoachT. It should not matter who is playing where, just that the boys play hard and we keep supporting the team. Lets hope he does get the job done, for the sake of the TEAM.

Connor is a warrior and after he gets "cast" up, will be a huge asset on defense. His play at cornerback last year was stellar.

As for the QB situation, normally it would be David Irby. Circumstances are such that young Tyler Clark will get the start at quarterback this Friday night. Paul Bingham would normally be on the QB depth chart, but his play at tailback is too crucial for that move. Jared Stephens will be backing up Clark.

Things look bleak, Oak Ridge's backs are against the wall and now this, coupled with several key players missing Friday's game, make this assignment look overwhelming.

But ... who knows. It's high school football and despite William Blount being an even bigger favorite on paper now, they will still line it up and Oak Ridge will try their best and never give up.