Catholic @ Fulton

gridironguy

Well you might not consider him a great kid to your standards, but he didn't have daddy riding his tip and paying his way out of trouble now did he? You have a point as far as him getting in trouble, but if you or your precious little boy were in the same situation I will GUARANTEE that you would be the same way, no if's, and's, or but's!! Yes, Catholic IS the rich school I imagine it because I've been there myself, started to go there, and know everyone that goes there!! The crap that these kids go through doesn't determine the type of person they are, but it has a HUGE impact on their character!! Him as well as any other kid who didn't have the best past ALL DESERVE and NEED extra guidance, what kid shouldn't have the same privelages your baby boy had?? If he had the same guidance your kid had, he would be doing just as good ;-p And finally NO, those players who now serve as "model citizens" are not subject to the same pressures, they just let themselves be taken by today's norm!! I hope you have been insighted about the LIFE these kids live!

You surely don't believe that. I grew up in one of the roughest neighborhoods in inner city Chicgao. You make your own choices, right or wrong. Your character and your mental make-up shows what type of person you truly are. When I was growing up you had two options gangs or sports. As odd as it may sound the two never crossed. If you were playing ball the gangs left you alone. Not all kids joined gangs but you control how you want to be.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You surely don't believe that. I grew up in one of the roughest neighborhoods in inner city Chicgao. You make your own choices, right or wrong. Your character and your mental make-up shows what type of person you truly are. When I was growing up you had two options gangs or sports. As odd as it may sound the two never crossed. If you were playing ball the gangs left you alone. Not all kids joined gangs but you control how you want to be.

Amen. The sociological psychobabble spewed forth by well-meaning do-gooders does not help these kids. Most of their problems are caused by failure to make the right choices, which is governed primarily by innate character traits and biological determinism. But some of you will argue that "they don't have a chance given the way they were raised or the environment in which they grew up." But I say maybe they inherited these traits from their parents. Either explanation is just as plausible. Once we recognize that people are indeed diverse, which we hear so much about these days, we must also recognize that some individuals have a greater proclivity toward doing good or, unfortunately, doing wrong.

Catholic by 6

Edited by DiverCity

Great kids @ both schools/teams. Not so great kids @ both schools/teams. Don't judge the book by the cover. See Art Schlister (golden boy in and out of jail for the last 20 yrs. and Alan Paige (supreme court justice in MN). Both Pemberton and Coatney are outstanding HS coaches. Period. Both Rogan and Smith are outstanding HS players. Period. Don't overlook all the other serious talent and great match-ups that will be there tonight that some of the media might miss.

Mathis-Ful (soft hands, quick, very tough receiver who lines up all over) vs Browder-Cat (also big, hard hitting corner who plays run very well).

Wiley-Gatewood-Ful (huge 6-6 320, strong, space eater) vs Franklin-Cat (nice frame 6-5 260, quick feet, good technique).

Stokes/Cobb/Winters/Gildner-Ful (Forget the positions LB/FB/TE/DE. 4 tough blocking, run stuffing, aggressive, FOOTBALL PLAYERS) vs. Hartman/Tressler/D Tait-Cat (LB,FB,TE. Same style, size, toughness as the 4 above.) Watch for snot bubbles galore.

Smith & Freeney?-Ful (physical, get the ball, blocking WR) vs Riley & Robbins (smart, quick, attacking DBs).

Higgins-Ful (another big athletic lineman) vs. Washington-Cat (6-3 260 very ahtletic but not as big as Higgins).

Stinson-Ful (Keeps getting better, threat to run, good ball fakes, throws well running) vs. Lindsey-Cat (Learning, throws nice ball, very tough).

Tyson-Ful (quick, tough, sure tackling DB) vs Kelly-Cat (quick, tough, sure handed WR).

Hammilton-Ful (6-2 300 DT) vs. Z Tait-Cat (6-3 285 OL/DL). These two went at it last year. This is The Hulk vs. The Thing.

Regardless of the outcome, social issues, coaches, and hyped players, there are a field FULL of good kids who have worked very hard to get to where they are as individuals and as a team(s). Respect their effort, and enjoy the competition.

Good Lord!... Do I need to write a letter to Oprah or Dr. Phill. Four hours until kick off and you guys are wanting to get in touch with your feelings? Start worrying on where you'll park.

Amen!

As one who also grew up on the meanstreets of a large northern city and who (stupidly) participated in both sides of the gang/sports choice as a high schooler, I call upon you to leave the past behind. Now that I'm old and slow and grumbly, I can tell you that parking for tonight is, indeed, the pressing issue! It's going to be cold and crowded and this, my friends from Catholic and Fulton alike, is where your attention should be. ;)

P.S. californiastars, your post is spot on. Catholic began and, until a few years ago remained, a inner-city school located on Magnolia a few blocks from AE. All are welcome at Catholic and kids come from literally every neighborhood, every ethnicity and every economic class in Knox County. And you're also right to note, "no matter where you are from or how much your parents make, you still wore that same uniform and were on the same team" at Catholic. Great post.

Go Irish! :D

These are two really good football teams and this should be a great game in a great high school football setting featuring two of the best players to come out of Knoxville in years. I personally hope they end up college teammates. It will also be, probably, just round one of two or three rounds this season. It's going to be great football.

The socio-economic/political garbage in this thread about the schools detracts from the game and is insulting to the players. Fulton isn't in the South Bronx and Catholic isn't Beverly Hills 90210. Knowing KCHS very well, I think we've had our own share of athletes who have crossed behavior lines. Go figure, they're teenaged males. I'm also guessing that Fulton would have little problem picking out multiple model student athletes for display, if such displays were appropriate or necessary. Either way, what on earth does this stuff have to do with tonight's football game. I don't see why anyone cares why anyone is missing from either lineup. What matters is that they are missing. If these guys had the flu or were hit by a car, does that make their absence any less or more important?

The coaches and the players from these two programs share a lot more in common than some of their fans are willing to acknowledge. It's great to be rivals and it's great to predict results. This other stuff is garbage.

Good luck to Fulton. Better luck to the Irish! :lol:

3 THINGS

1.fowler is the cross country coach that you are reffering to and he is someone who would be the 1st one in coatneys office to let him know about it. so ur situation is possible but unlikely bc that game was 2 or 3 weeks ago and freeney wouldnt have played against scott.

2. Freeney has more going on than his dad missing. Trust me i talk to him daily and have spent a whole day with him and saw how "bad" his situation is.

3. i responded in defense of these players. Freeney may not be a "model citizen" but with help and guidance, i honestly believe he can be.

Now to the game. Both teams are very solid. I had the opportunity to play catholic last year and came to this conclusion.

Catholic isnt as strong as most teams i played(watch how they block aham tonight-chop) I think there offensive and defensive lines are overrated, but no 1 can see that bc smith is so talented. For fulton, i think there offensive line is also overrated, but there defensive line is extremely solid. The skill positions for both teams are solid, but i give fulton the edge bc of there overall speed.

To predict this game you have to look 1 place. the TRENCHES. whoever wins the battle of the trenches, wins this game. PERIOD. throw out the talk of rogan and smith. Neither team will them either run wild. With that being said, i give the edge to fulton. There defensive line has proved theirself over and over that they are one of the best in the state. Look for higgins and aham to be the deciding factors in this game. fulton by 14 with a late touchdown from rogan.

Great game by two fantastic football teams. Came down to earlier posts. Catholic execution and Fulton's lack of discipline on 2 fourth down penalties. Harrison Smith showed all he could do. Rogan may be quicker but Harrison is stronger, faster and more athletic. So much for blow outs and goose eggs.

And before the griping starts about the officiating..... Lindsey did fumble to take away a Fulton touchdown, however Fulton's first TD came on a dropped pass that clearly hit the ground so those offset each other and the 2 point conversion was bobbled until dropped.

This is what high school football is all about. I'm sure Round 2 will be a barn burner!

i honestly dont think the irish have a shadow of hope with this one, harrison smith simply cannot hang with rogan's stuff, and smith can only carry a team for so long

He can only carry them for 48 minutes. I think that it was Rogan who had trouble hanging with Harrison. (See the 2 receiving TD's for Harrison with Rogan defending including a "jump ball" in the end zone)

Edited by IrishBBall

Well I still think they are very equal, but the reason Smith does well is because he has a smart, disciplined, and strong team surrounding him!! I hate to say it but Catholic IS BETTER THEN US. That's right I said it, their TEAM is better. We have a lack of discipline, and I can't help but to be quite upset to say the least with our O line. We need to start blocking before we can think about beating Catholic in the playoffs. Catholic's Offense was very good and had our D confused! We have a lot of work cut out for us if we want to make it to state

Well I still think they are very equal, but the reason Smith does well is because he has a smart, disciplined, and strong team surrounding him!! I hate to say it but Catholic IS BETTER THEN US. That's right I said it, their TEAM is better. We have a lack of discipline, and I can't help but to be quite upset to say the least with our O line. We need to start blocking before we can think about beating Catholic in the playoffs. Catholic's Offense was very good and had our D confused! We have a lot of work cut out for us if we want to make it to state

Team is the key word ..KC is more diciplined which you would expect .. I thought KC played a very good game ... I think Fulton had plays to make in passing game that the QB didnt make (Wagner's loss hurt big time here) .. Fulton had WR runnign wide open and passes getting thrown 15 yards short of WR's ... if Fulton cant improve that then will not make it past AE or Catholic .. Freeneys loss was big too ... they needed his big play ability .. Rogan earned all his yards .. your are correct HS is a great player .. cant blame Rogan on the jump ball touchdown .. how can you expext a 5'10 175 pounder to out jump a 6'3 215 pounder .. you cant ..Fulton was supposed to have a LB out on HS to bump him but they didnt for some reason .. but that play should have never happened because of one the WORST calls by officials I have ever seen ... if that play stands then its either 21 -14 or 21 -16 will Fulton momentem ... but as it turned out it was 27 - 8 ... big turnaround ... anyway maybe it will turn out like last year when Falcons beat KC 38- 9 in regular season but lost close 21 20 game in payoffs ... hope falcons get that chance. I knew Fulton would have to overcome some dicipline problems like jumping offsides on 2 4td downs .. they should have known that ... was dissapointed some in OL for Fulton ... and punt team killed us with the over the head snap (Again what a loss Wagner was here ) .... anyway I have said my piece ... KC played a better game .. both teams stars played well and I think Fulton tried to change too much in their offense for the game .. just my opinion .....