Outlook for 7AAA

PHargis

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Your compliment is appreciated.

I really think that Oakland beat themselves tonight. TD took a trip to Alaska in the first quarter, and it was obvious she was going to have an off night. Sara King was slowed down by her defender and was not able to have her way tonight. Lavergne got the jump on Oakland early and never let down. Though Lavergne is a good team, they can not shoot from beyond 15 ft. Most if not all of Lavergne's points were scored within a 15 ft. radius of the basket. Oakland has good perimeter defense, but they struggle to defend in the post and against backdoor cuts. At times it seemed that players would just stand around or were just too slow to react to what was happening. Grad is also correct in stating that penetration killed them. It seems that when people drive to the basket all they have to do is get by their defender, since people down low can't or won't react to the ball carrier. I said before that Oakland needed to have a consistent 3rd offensive option, but it looks like they have to tighten up on their defensive awareness side of the ball first.

Really a good post. Just to examine Lavergne a little more, while they may not have shot the three against the team from Oakland, they do have three players that can do it and one, quite a way out, Yarboro. After playing them, and realizing the quality of the young players on this team, all of the things you have mentioned showed up against Siegel. The counter moves that Coach Bush and staff made to slow down, not stop, Jefferson, Terrell and Yarboro, now looking back, was only able to have been done by a team that had the seasoned players that Siegel had who in three/four years had played as many defenses as it had.

Lavergne really has a great team but is not team oriented and tries to go one on one too much and has the players, if disciplined on offense and stay together, to really do good in upcoming years. You will hear those names and more.

You are being too critical with your team, Oakland.

For those interested in the Siegel game on Thursday.

Jeff Davis is the defending State 6A Champion

They are 11-1

Their post is 6'4" and has signed with Auburn

She has the State record for blocked shots career and game

point guard has signed with Florida State

12/21/06

First Round Games

12:30

Lincoln Co vs Jim Hill (Jackson, MS)

Russell vs Decatur

2PM

Butler vs Hillcrest

Siegel vs Jeff Davis

3:30 PM

Coffee Co vs Hazel Green

Blackman vs Austin

5 PM

Johnson vs Arab

Erwin vs Bob Jones (11-2)

Pres, I really don't know if Coach Bush realized the caliber of teams and players the Stars have played against this year when he made out this schedule. This team has played against two Super Players against Wilson Central in Jenkins and Hassall one a signee and the other a will be, against Nadu with McGavack, a Signee but not quite the level of team, against James and Helton at Cookeville one a signee with Carson Newman and the other very likely to be, Against Lanning and Company with Riverdale whe being a MtSU Signee and with one other player on that team likely to sign somewhere, and on the other end to be faced against another team Lavergne, who has as much talent on it as any young team should have and potentially will explode one day and decide what it is going to take to win, and now Jefferson Davis out of Alabama who has two great Signees and the power to have won the Alabama 6A championship last year and still Siegel has a 5-5 record.

To blow the horn of the Siegel players during this run, Siegel's post play and in many regards its general overall play, when good has been very good. When all of its players play is consistant and its guard play plays like it is capable of playing, not necessarily scoring but 100% all of the other things which make this team go, it is a very good team. Carrie Parrott has absolutely held her own with some very, very good players on the post along with some rebounding help from Claire Waggoner, who has not been in position to help scoring that much but, in time will help. But that is not saying that 6'1" Danielle Spurlock has not contributed. An injury has hobbled this player who, when rehabed, has to make a significant impact with rebounding and defense, to this team.

If this team's players can play within it's capabilities and not try to play outside them and get the injuries rehabed and continue to play within the system, and play the smart play they are capable of playing, on paper, its very good. Without doing this, it will be evident where the breakdown is and the team will suffer. Playing the caliber of teams and players they have played has been done for a reason.

Really a good post. Just to examine Lavergne a little more, while they may not have shot the three against the team from Oakland, they do have three players that can do it and one, quite a way out, Yarboro. After playing them, and realizing the quality of the young players on this team, all of the things you have mentioned showed up against Siegel. The counter moves that Coach Bush and staff made to slow down, not stop, Jefferson, Terrell and Yarboro, now looking back, was only able to have been done by a team that had the seasoned players that Siegel had who in three/four years had played as many defenses as it had.

Lavergne really has a great team but is not team oriented and tries to go one on one too much and has the players, if disciplined on offense and stay together, to really do good in upcoming years. You will hear those names and more.

You are being too critical with your team, Oakland.

I probably am a little tough when it comes to my critiques of Oakland. It's just that I can't stand to see poor defense being played. In the two games Oakland lost, they were beat the same way both times, with little to no defense on drives and back door cuts. Plus I must vent my frustrations somewhere, and to critique my own is always better than demeaning another teams victory in a well played game.

I wasn't able to see a lot of Oakland's earlier games, so I really can't say it's been happening all season, but maybe they have just been too relaxed lately.

Update from Huntsville Classic

Lincoln County over Jim Hill of Jackson, MS by 20

Siegel 37 vs Jeff Davis 52

8 to 10 point game for most of the contest. Siegel contained 6'4" Cassie Moore, Auburn signee, to under her 15 point average.

Jeff Davis led 27-18 at half time

Siegenthaler...7

Davis..............2

Wright............5

Faulkner.........5

Parrott...........13

Waggener......2

Spurlock........3

Siegel had 17 turn overs

Jeff had another girl that signed with Florida Sate. Did she have much impact on the game?

Pres, good analysis. Thats quite a few turnovers but I had a report that Siegel had 9 the first quarter. Except for the first quarter, they were certainly under control. Well, now if we can schedule the best team out of Kentucky we will have played the top teams last year in three states. I don't know what that means but so far we are losing by less points and lately are playing better. Well from MT(Middle Tennessee} back to the Pres in UA ( thats Upper Alabama as opposed to LA, Lower Alabama) post us the time of the next game and we will be glad to see the results from you tomorrow.

I am sure it disappointed Cookeville but not knowing the score, it probably was a better game than the score. Shelbyville will be one of the best teams in the State tournament and Cookeville while good, has not quite reached that level yet but they could. There is a lot of raw talent there.

I know Shelbyville is good, but to score only24 points in a whole game that's not very impressive. Must of been some great defense or poor shooting on both sides.