Outlook for 7AAA

PHargis

Siegel, again tonite, had a difficult time with Wilson Central and lost 57-30. The team was beaten by an outstanding team and beat siegel in every catagory. Unlike previous outings, Siegel was beaten before it entered the gym. As with other schools, WC controlled the boards and had a number of put backs for points.

Again, Siegel had trouble getting the ball to the post from the wings, either not attempting to do so or just not able to do so. A pointing finger looked at in a mirror was the problem, every time. WC posts were much quicker and the finest this team has played against. Siegel will have to listen to its Coaching Staff and start focusing on the system. The system is breaking down because players are not following thru with their assignments. This team will get better as the season progresses and it is evident some time needs to be taken to renew their effort to get back on the system.

This is a very good team that needs some players to step up and for others to realize they have roles to play to make this team successful.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PH, you are being kind. This was the worst performance of any Siegel team I have ever witnessed. Not to take anything away from Wilson Central, they are good, but not that good. Siegel handed this game to them on a silver platter. I think Siegel shot below 30% from the field and I stopped counting the uncontested lay ups when the defense was out of position. The posts cannot guard the perimeter and under the basket at the same time. Either the girls are not executing the defense as drawn up, or it is a flawed defense given the personnel, IMO.

In spite of the embarrasing loss, there were a few bright spots. Faulkner played a great game and was the leading Siegel scorer. Amy Burns and Shikera Johnson came off the bench and gave a good effort, I thought. I think that some of the girls were intimidated by WC, but most of all, WC was mad about losing to Riverdale and played up to their potential, while Siegel never got close. Both teams threw the ball away too many times. Wilson Central will have another great team and I hope Siegel can get it together and meet them again in the post season. Siegel will bounce back, as Coach Bush won't let them wallow in self pity, as they have to get ready to play Brentwood Academy on Friday.

Two teams that are getting a better start after a slow one are Cookeville and lebanon. Cookeville lost a number of players by graduation and are improving and Lebanon now has found new life and with their new coach and improved support, they are now scoring a larger number of points per game. Even White County has been doing better so I understand.

Edited by PHargis

Two teams that are getting a better start after a slow one are Cookeville and lebanon. Cookeville lost a number of players by graduation and are improving and Lebanon now has found new life and with their new coach and improved support, they are now scoring a larger number of points per game. Even White County has been doing better so I understand.

Lebanon should be better because they have some athletic ability back from last year's team with a year's worth of experience under their belt. However, the real question will be whether they can improve their passing and ballhandling. Last year they would often have nearly as many turnovers as shots taken, which makes it extremely difficult to win and often leads to getting blown out by quality opponents. They also lacked quality depth and I don't know how much that has improved. They may have more girls out to play, which is a positive sign, but it doesn't mean the ones that have come out are able to play well. Smyrna had them down 19-0 after the 1st quarter last night and led them by 27 going into the final quarter and eventually beat them by 21 points. So I wonder if some of the ballhandling problems of the previous seasons returned to haunt them last night. Maybe someone who attended the game can give a report.

Edited by 4mercoach

Can you say YSALS?

Lebanon should be better because they have some athletic ability back from last year's team with a year's worth of experience under their belt. However, the real question will be whether they can improve their passing and ballhandling. Last year they would often have nearly as many turnovers as shots taken, which makes it extremely difficult to win and often leads to getting blown out by quality opponents. They also lacked quality depth and I don't know how much that has improved. They may have more girls out to play, which is a positive sign, but it doesn't mean the ones that have come out are able to play well. Smyrna had them down 19-0 after the 1st quarter last night and led them by 27 going into the final quarter and eventually beat them by 21 points. So I wonder if some of the ballhandling problems of the previous seasons returned to haunt them last night. Maybe someone who attended the game can give report on the game.

I do notice that you are a poster that has just become interested. My recolection is that the past two years has been a team with a lot of turnovers also, players. Maybe it is not so but this program, as great as it once was, had reached a stage tht it needed to be reinvigerated. For posterity, it took some time to replace their coach and a number was wondering when it would be done. Finally the coach was selected and it would not be surprising what you say is true. Coach Brown had a great task, one which had to deal with more than just throwing the ball out and playing. With the turnover in players, he needed to generate interest again, start strength training, skills training, gain community and parents support, etc. If I remember, he was not named coach until August. Someone is in the middle of the transition and the lesson learned for schools who for any reason want to let their athletic programs dwindle, in prep sports today it is not as easy to start a program as it was years ago and a great deal of respect is given to those who are going thru the process. If they had a neucleus of players that had some AAU or equivalent experience, it would be easier but to rebuild and retool in a month would be hard. The coaching staff there has a job ahead of them and it looks to me as if they are taking the right steps. What do you think?

For posterity, it took some time to replace their coach and a number was wondering when it would be done. Finally the coach was selected and it would not be surprising what you say is true. Coach Brown had a great task, one which had to deal with more than just throwing the ball out and playing. With the turnover in players, he needed to generate interest again, start strength training, skills training, gain community and parents support, etc. If I remember, he was not named coach until August.

Coach Brown was hired somewhere around April 12th as a link on CoachT's site for Lebanon's women's basketball has a story from the Wilson Post with that date on it. So apparently Coach Brown got a chance to work with the program through spring practice and the summer. I'm sure Coach Brown is capable and they will show some progress over time, but sometimes it takes a while to get things turned around.

Coach Brown was hired somewhere around April 12th as a link on CoachT's site for Lebanon's women's basketball has a story from the Wilson Post with that date on it. So apparently Coach Brown got a chance to work with the program through spring practice and the summer. I'm sure Coach Brown is capable and they will show some progress over time, but sometimes it takes a while to get things turned around.

I am sure what you say is correct but knowing some coaches who were applying foir the job, it was in late july that they were told on the decision and they were in a position of trying to get a position somewhere else. Irregardless, Coach Brown has not had time to do everyting that needed to be done and look for great improvement.

PHargis, the girls and the public knew in late April. Brown took them to team camp at Siegel and a playday at Portland during the summer. I am not sure why the coaches you are referring to were not aware.

4mer, they do have a long way to go, but I think everyone will agree that the sixty-something points they have put on the board twice already this year is a sign of good things happening and good things to come! The support is overwhelming, the kids are working hard, and the no one is satisfied. That's a good combination!

I totally understand what you all are saying about it taking time. The summer is so important when you are coming in to a new school to get your system in. When season starts around November 1 it's too late to put all that you need in there. Unless teams are gonna just run a man on ya then you could have a chance to get it ready. However, we know that you will see more than just a man. I vividly remember the summer before last when I had 4 days in the summer to work with the girls. That was rough! Mind blowing to say the least! My prayers go out to the coach and his family during this trying time :D