Strong Rumor............Oak Ridge vs Maryville Week 0 2007

MLREB

Different teams match up differently. Ooltewah got beat by Farragut last year 35-7 and Oak Ridge beat Farragut 30 something to not much. You would think Ooltewah would get raped by Oak Ridge but Ooltewah won. You can't judge how you have done against William Blount on how you would beat everyone in 5a. Thats my opinion. I'm not saying Ooltewah, DB or Oak Ridge would beat you guys but it would be better competetion. I'm happy that Maryville is in the top 25.

Edited by ImaOWL

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am excited about the possibility of Maryville moving up to 5A. I think it would be great for their program and great for 5A football.

As far as the competition ... all I can base it on is the fact that that over the past few years, William Blount has competed very closely (with a few w's mixed in) against the likes of Ooltewah, Oak Ridge, Sevier County, Farragut, Jeff County, etc. During that same period of time, they haven't been in the same league as Maryville. Not even close. I DO NOT believe Maryville's record over the past 5 - 6 years would be much different than it is now, regardless of what classification they might have played in.

As far as the future, I believe there could be some "chinks in the armor" in the upcoming years ... maybe not next season, but there is going to be some work to be done in the next few years. But remember who'll be doing that work ... George Quarles, David Ellis, Jimmy Gaylor and company.

This season? If Maryville had played WB's schedule, I have not doubt they'd be undefeated. After seeing Oak Ridges sophomores the other night and hearing about their freshmen team; and hearing how Ooltewah's freshmen team has dominated this year; and knowing that WB has several good sophomores and and freshmen ... who knows what it might be like in '09 if Maryville moves up. But until then, I give the nod to the Rebels.

Here is an interesting fact for Maryville concerning classification.

Maryville as of Jan,'06 has more students (according to the TSSAA website) than the following 5A teams:

Brentwood

Gallatin

Centennial

Ravenwood

Glencliff

Henry Co. (actually I'm not sure they are 5A now that I type it)

You look at those schools and you think, gee, two of them have won 5A titles recently, Gallatin is always a power, and Centennial is very competitive.

So why does Maryville choose to stay in 4A? Are they padding their stats or what?

Anybody surprised that WB COACHES want to end the series? They ended the Alcoa series when a strong class was coming through. Now that Alcoa will be weaker the next two year WB wants to put them back on the schedule. Alcoa has a very strong 8th grade class coming through so I bet WB will want back off Alcoa's schedule in three year.... Anybody see a patern?..... :lol:

MLREB I always heard that W.B. ended the Alcoa series because of Jon Reid and when he left they wanted to play Alcoa again. But you're saying the reason was because of Duck, Brandon and crew, and this year's Alcoa senior class leaving instead? :huh:

I also heard Heritage wanted to play a bigger school (Seymour) instead of Alcoa. I can understand that, but Seymour is only 3A. Does Seymour get Heritage ready for a 5A schedule better than Alcoa? :thumb:

I would love to see Mairvul play O.R. and I hope the Mairvul administration can make it a reality in 2007.

Here is an interesting fact for Maryville concerning classification.

Maryville as of Jan,'06 has more students (according to the TSSAA website) than the following 5A teams:

Brentwood

Gallatin

Centennial

Ravenwood

Glencliff

Henry Co. (actually I'm not sure they are 5A now that I type it)

You look at those schools and you think, gee, two of them have won 5A titles recently, Gallatin is always a power, and Centennial is very competitive.

So why does Maryville choose to stay in 4A? Are they padding their stats or what?

just1np, your facts are really good except Henry County has been 4A a couple of years, what has Glencliff ever won in 5A and they're 0-7 in 2006, and "competitive" Centennial too is 0-7 as we speak. But other than those 3 exceptions, your facts are really strong.

I would say "or what."

Edited by STARSNBARS

MLREB I always heard that W.B. ended the Alcoa series because of Jon Reid and when he left they wanted to play Alcoa again. But you're saying the reason was because of Duck, Brandon and crew, and this year's Alcoa senior class leaving instead? :lol:

I also heard Heritage wanted to play a bigger school (Seymour) instead of Alcoa. I can understand that, but Seymour is only 3A. Does Seymour get Heritage ready for a 5A schedule better than Alcoa? :thumb:

I would love to see Mairvul play O.R. and I hope the Mairvul administration can make it a reality in 2007.

Guys,

I really believe that somewhere in the middle of "some issues with Reid" and "trying to put the team in a position to have a winnable game" lies the truth. Blount replaced Knox Central and Alcoa with Sevier County and Northwest Clarksville. One has equaled a "sure win" -- the other is a competitive 5A program that has developed into a great rivalry.

It there's one thing you need to know about Scot Meadows ... he's not "scared" of anyone. However, he is a coach who is trying to develop a winning program and sometimes what he thinks is best for the program might not be what I/ or other supporters agree with, but WE SUPPORT OUR COACH.

I guess what I hate the most ... is that it is the young men on the team who get labeled "scared to play Alcoa" or "scared to play Maryville." Go ask the Walker brothers, or Cole Lail, or Will Irwin, or "Big Pete" Evans, or Tyler Burstrom if they'd liked to have played Alcoa this year. I promise you their answer would be yes. The same holds true with playing Maryville.

I promise you this ... the whole "dropping Alcoa fiasco" has not been truthfully explained on this board. If you know Coach Meadows at all--or other members of the WB staff--ask them sometime to tell you the whole story.

Lost in the whole mess this year of some classless fans and weird, wild circumstances is the fact that Blount is 2 minutes and less than a single touchdown away from being 6-1, sitting on top of their region, and being ranked in the top 10 in the state. I'M NOT WHINING ... we haven't taken care of business and that's why we're 4-3 instead and struggling for a 3 seed. BUT ... this program is on the rise. Lots of young talent and one of the best young head coaches in the state.

Coach Meadows--if you're out there--I know one of your themes has been "people here just don't believe we can win". Well, I believe we can. Let's go out and proved that the rest of the year.

It there's one thing you need to know about Scot Meadows ... he's not "scared" of anyone. However, he is a coach who is trying to develop a winning program and sometimes what he thinks is best for the program might not be what I/ or other supporters agree with, but WE SUPPORT OUR COACH.

Gov-Man do you think the reason the W.B. coaches were trying to dump the Mairvul game was to schedule a more winnable game, until the W.B. administration intervened?

Guys,

I really believe that somewhere in the middle of "some issues with Reid" and "trying to put the team in a position to have a winnable game" lies the truth. Blount replaced Knox Central and Alcoa with Sevier County and Northwest Clarksville. One has equaled a "sure win" -- the other is a competitive 5A program that has developed into a great rivalry.

I guess what I hate the most ... is that it is the young men on the team who get labeled "scared to play Alcoa" or "scared to play Maryville." Go ask the Walker brothers, or Cole Lail, or Will Irwin, or "Big Pete" Evans, or Tyler Burstrom if they'd liked to have played Alcoa this year. I promise you their answer would be yes. The same holds true with playing Maryville.

I promise you this ... the whole "dropping Alcoa fiasco" has not been truthfully explained on this board. If you know Coach Meadows at all--or other members of the WB staff--ask them sometime to tell you the whole story.

Lost in the whole mess this year of some classless fans and weird, wild circumstances is the fact that Blount is 2 minutes and less than a single touchdown away from being 6-1, sitting on top of their region, and being ranked in the top 10 in the state. I'M NOT WHINING ... we haven't taken care of business and that's why we're 4-3 instead and struggling for a 3 seed. BUT ... this program is on the rise. Lots of young talent and one of the best young head coaches in the state.

Coach Meadows--if you're out there--I know one of your themes has been "people here just don't believe we can win". Well, I believe we can. Let's go out and proved that the rest of the year.

Govman......I love you like a brother but at some point you have to back off that orange and blue kool-aid. The confrontation and comments from Meadows at mid field with GQ did happen. I remember GQ looking with astonishment...yes I was out there. There has never been a question about Meadow's coaching ability it's just the baggage. I cringed when WB hired him but it was obvious they were desparate for a quality FB coach. Why do you think Meadows was run off at Alcoa. It wasn't because he couldn't coach.

Bah, I think the T$$AA would do the right thing, listen to folks and have Maryville in Region 2. Have the other two teams in Blount flip a coin for the move to Region 1.

I think Ooltewah and Soddy would go to region 3 and Maryville to Region 2. When they redo the numbers there could be other schools that drop in enrollment and the actual cut off number will also change. Who knows what Karns enrollment will be when Hardin Valley opens or even where they will put Hardin Valley.

That looks good. I don't care how it works, just as long as Maryville is in the region with Oak Ridge, Ooltewah, Farragut, etc ... so we can all take the long-overdue yearly thumping from them.

Don't get me wrong, no doubt they are the premier program in the state. But the road would be a little tougher ... plus cycles are funny things.

I think Ooltewah and Soddy would go to region 3 and Maryville to Region 2. When they redo the numbers there could be other schools that drop in enrollment and the actual cut off number will also change. Who knows what Karns enrollment will be when Hardin Valley opens or even where they will put Hardin Valley.

That looks good. I don't care how it works, just as long as Maryville is in the region with Oak Ridge, Ooltewah, Farragut, etc ... so we can all take the long-overdue yearly thumping from them.

Don't get me wrong, no doubt they are the premier program in the state. But the road would be a little tougher ... plus cycles are funny things.

Also, the classifaction level numbers could shift. Maryville won't be the only school to move classes. There will be suspense for alot of schools.

Whats going to happen if the largest 4A school stays 4A cause the class levels shift? If Maryville does not move to 5A, I believe the Maryville fans are going to be the most disappointed due to an apathy growing with the current schedule.

You know Tank you make a good point about cycles. Apparently, Mairvul must be in a really good one.

I thought our cycle would end when last year's seniors (Tallent, Tucker, etc.) became seniors, because when they were in middle school they got pounded by Duck, Warren, and the Alcoa crew, lost to W.B., and a couple of more. But good coaching, work habits, discipline, player development, natural growth, and of course a little recruiting :thumb: worked wonders. In high school the tables completely turned. I honestly believe G.Q. has a way with cycles.

Govman......I love you like a brother but at some point you have to back off that orange and blue kool-aid. The confrontation and comments from Meadows at mid field with GQ did happen. I remember GQ looking with astonishment...yes I was out there. There has never been a question about Meadow's coaching ability it's just the baggage. I cringed when WB hired him but it was obvious they were desparate for a quality FB coach. Why do you think Meadows was run off at Alcoa. It wasn't because he couldn't coach.

Never denied any comments made at mid-field. I, too, know exactly the conversation that took place. Wish it hadn't. Maybe I'm the only other one on here, but I've said lots of things in the heat of the moment that I wish I could take back.

I don't know enough facts to state that Coach Meadows was "run off" at Alcoa. I'm sure you do.