Hey Maryville

carl spackler

Hint- BA & MBA gives money to toward hand picked players so they can field the kids they find worthy of attending their prep school. Not an even playing field and that is why the are in a different class. In football that is called recruiting and it is only opinion that any team is better than another.

the sad thing is, a lot of people really believe that and think it's true.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK ... if Maryville played "Da Bears" when Ditka was coaching ... who would you pick?

Gov-Man........In my best George Wendt accent...."If a certain Coach Quarles were coaching Maryville.............. Da Rebs."

Mike Myers..."I'd have to go with Da Rebs, Bob."

Chris Farley..."I'd go with Da Rebs by a baker's dozen, Bob."

"Da Rebs, Da Rebs, Da Rebs, Da Rebs, Polish Sausage, Rebs, Polish Sausage, Rebs................................. ;)

Edited by STARSNBARS

I will give props to Maryville for the dominance they have had in 4A. They are a force to be reckoned with. They deserve all of the credit for which they have earned. They would contend and beat most 5A schools in the state, but I don't think that they would easily win those gold balls in 5A. I'd love to see them play Dobyns Bennett this year. It would be a heck of a game.

What makes you think winning a gold ball at 4A is easy? Many of the 4A teams in the state dismantle 5A teams every season. This year has been no different. 4A is every bit as tough as 5A in Tennessee.

Well I am sorry but this is the logical place for this to go. I take nothing away from the Rebels they are a great team and program but as it is said " to be the best you have to beat the best".

in fairness to Maryville (however insufferable their fans are), it is my understanding (from an insufferable Maryville fan I know) that Coach Quarrels has tried many times and ways to get rid of some of their regular season non-region games in favor of some better match-ups but that local politics always end up getting in the way.

I think a great opportunity for Maryville to showcase itself to the rest of the state is a quality game in the clinic bowl in week 0. They would be drooling over getting Maryville to that event...to play anyone.

If you want to compare scores, Maryville beat Alcoa by a field goal and Fulton (3A) beat Alcoa by a touchdown. By your comparison, would you say that Fulton is better than Maryville? Fulton could/would beat most 4A and 5A schools, but I don't think they would beat Maryville or DB.

Maryville took a knee near the goal line against Alcoa .. plus they were without 3 starters .. including their potential D-1 running back . Tyler Maples also didn't play the second half . He was cramping , after racking up over 160yds receiving in the first half .

Maryville took a knee near the goal line against Alcoa .. plus they were without 3 starters .. including their potential D-1 running back . Tyler Maples also didn't play the second half . He was cramping , after racking up over 160yds receiving in the first half .

In all fairness Alcoa, like Maryville, had many starters cramping up. The second half was lousy football for the most part with many of the difference makers missing snaps because of the cramps.

Tank Baker missing the game was the biggest difference in the outcome. If Baker plays it's a minimum 2 additional tds for Maryville. Maryville is a compete offense with Baker in the game.

If you want to compare scores, Maryville beat Alcoa by a field goal and Fulton (3A) beat Alcoa by a touchdown. By your comparison, would you say that Fulton is better than Maryville? Fulton could/would beat most 4A and 5A schools, but I don't think they would beat Maryville or DB.

fulton would kill DB.

What makes you think winning a gold ball at 4A is easy? Many of the 4A teams in the state dismantle 5A teams every season. This year has been no different. 4A is every bit as tough as 5A in Tennessee.

I'm not trying to take anything at all away from Maryville. Granted, the middle of the pack 5A schools (Bearden, Farragut, Oak Ridge this year) are about the same quality of good 4A schools (Central & Powell). The difference when you jump to the top tier of 5A schools is a bigger jump with teams like DB, Ooltewoh, and Riverdale. I'm not saying that these teams would beat Maryville, but I think it would be more competitive than the drumming ya'll put on Central, your closest competitor in regional competition.

I am a Fulton alum and Fulton has a great team. I'm proud to see them having the success that they are having. However, I do not think that they would beat Dobyns Bennett. They don't have the depth that DB has. Depth and coaching separates these two teams drastically.

Fulton losing key players will hurt them more than most people think. Simply losing D. Freeney and Fulton does not beat Alcoa?

I still want to see Maryville, Alcoa and Fulton win the state, but I think it got alot harder for Fulton................

Fulton losing key players will hurt them more than most people think. Simply losing D. Freeney and Fulton does not beat Alcoa?

I still want to see Maryville, Alcoa and Fulton win the state, but I think it got alot harder for Fulton................

I completely agree with you. It will be more difficult, but they still have plenty of athletes to cover the losses.