Greenbrier?

hudsonj

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note....our coach is retiring at Page. If some people have that short of a memory at GB, please tell Kirk to apply at our house and bring some of the assistant coaches with him. We would be very grateful.

Good luck to Greenbrier the rest of the way. You moved the bar up there....sometimes people forget how hard it is to maintain.

You guys already have your new name in place. It's just a matter of time before everyone else finds out who it's going to be.

HINT: That new name is bringing an old face to his new place when he arrives :lol:

Don't get me wrong. I, for one of many, many, many in Greenbrier don't want the coaching staff to change or go anywhere else. I think it is a statement in itself when alumni come back home to teach, coach and dedicate their life to training up other kids to have the same pride they have in their hometown. I see both sides of this as I'm in the stands and sometimes have the frustration of seeing a run get 1 yard, 3 yards, 5 yards, but from the aspect of clock control, I understand that. What frustrates me is when the blocking is not there for that carrier to run, and he gets pummeled by a defense. Another thing is I am one like Ty's mom, and others that probably annoy some of the quieter, more reserved Bobcat fans because I just can't sit on my hands at a football game. ANY sports game for that matter. I attended the volleyball game Tuesday and was surprised to see that the fans as a whole seem to make more noise than at SOME football games I've seen.

Yeah, we have had some bad games lately, but if you watch the guys on the sidelines, they clap with every down, but their spirit also feeds off the crowds. I would really just like to see the crowds get IN TO the game, all four quarters.

Again, I was just relaying what the players blog said. As for the Greenbrier coaches, they are highly respected all over the state, as is the Bobcats team. Let's get behind that and not be fairweather fans.

That this topic even began is astounding. You can tell by my Coach T ID that I am a Lipscomb fan. I had the pleasure of being on the "chain gang" five or six years ago at a Lipscomb - Greenbrier preseason scrimmage. The chains were on the sideline with the Greenbrier team, so I had a couple of hours in the middle of everything that was happening on the Greenbrier sideline. I was so impressed with the demeanor of the boys and the intense, but always encouraging, attitude of the coaching staff that I sent a note to Coach Williams the next day. I knew that day that the Greenbrier program was in excellent hands and would soon be on the rise. It took another couple of years, but guess what? Greenbrier dealt my Mustangs opening losses in both 2004 and 2005 - Lipscomb teams that were not defeated again until losing to Alcoa in the 2004 semi-finals and to Livingston Academy in the 2005 Blue Cross Bowl. Good seasons and groups of good athletes come and go, and in the big picture it doesn't really matter a lot. What matters is your sons playing for honorable men who will teach them far more about life and manhood than they will ever teach them about football. I am forever indebteded to my sons' coaches at Lipscomb for doing just that and for never putting football ahead of the greater issues of life. I believe that the young men in Greenbrier have a similar opportunity. I have never met Coach Williams or any of his assistants personally, but I have seen their handiwork. Count your blessings.

That this topic even began is astounding. You can tell by my Coach T ID that I am a Lipscomb fan. I had the pleasure of being on the "chain gang" five or six years ago at a Lipscomb - Greenbrier preseason scrimmage. The chains were on the sideline with the Greenbrier team, so I had a couple of hours in the middle of everything that was happening on the Greenbrier sideline. I was so impressed with the demeanor of the boys and the intense, but always encouraging, attitude of the coaching staff that I sent a note to Coach Williams the next day. I knew that day that the Greenbrier program was in excellent hands and would soon be on the rise. It took another couple of years, but guess what? Greenbrier dealt my Mustangs opening losses in both 2004 and 2005 - Lipscomb teams that were not defeated again until losing to Alcoa in the 2004 semi-finals and to Livingston Academy in the 2005 Blue Cross Bowl. Good seasons and groups of good athletes come and go, and in the big picture it doesn't really matter a lot. What matters is your sons playing for honorable men who will teach them far more about life and manhood than they will ever teach them about football. I am forever indebteded to my sons' coaches at Lipscomb for doing just that and for never putting football ahead of the greater issues of life. I believe that the young men in Greenbrier have a similar opportunity. I have never met Coach Williams or any of his assistants personally, but I have seen their handiwork. Count your blessings.

Classy post! :thumb:

No need to question the coaching at all. You guys are just going through a down year, probably resulting in the graduating of a great senior class last year and the surge in competition. I mean you guys had a 23 region game winning street till this year, and 3 straight region titles, that is pretty good IMO.

But I'm sure GB will rebound eventually, just give it maybe a season or two, then again you guys could be back on top of the region after being down, case in point Station Camp.

Good Luck on the rest of the season, looking forward to making the trip up to Greenbrier next year!

Excellent post. Agreed. Both of these programs with coaches that lead along the same lines and both put character and player development ahead of winning.

Let's all give Hudsonj a round of applause for giving us this opportunity to step back and take a look at our coaching staff and recognize just how fortunate we really are.... Here's to Hudsonj..... :lol:

As a Crockett County fan, I realize that I have very little business getting involved in this discussion. However, I just have to add one thing to the mix.......

ARE YOU KIDDING?

3 consecutive region championships and a trip to the state finals and semi's. Oh yeah, this coaching staff needs to be questioned. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

Come on....the talent is down for this year but jeez. I had the pleasure to see Greenbrier play Crockett in the playoffs several times and I have to say that this coaching staff gets as much out of its players as any team I have seen. They were always fundamentaly sound and well coached. I know there are lots of teams who would trade coaching staffs with you in a heartbeat. Anyone can sit around and question play calling on a weekly basis, but the bottom line is this staff can flat out coach.

Good luck to the Greenbrier players the rest of the season.

I now return to Region 7AAA and let you guys hash this out.

Edited by Teddavid

As a Crockett County fan, I realize that I have very little business getting involved in this discussion. However, I just have to add one thing to the mix.......

ARE YOU KIDDING?

3 consecutive region championships and a trip to the state finals and semi's. Oh yeah, this coaching staff needs to be questioned. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

Come on....the talent is down for this year but jeez. I had the pleasure to see Greenbrier play Crockett in the playoffs several times and I have to say that this coaching staff gets as much out of its players as any team I have seen. They were always fundamentaly sound and well coached. I know there are lots of teams who would trade coaching staffs with you in a heartbeat. Anyone can sit around and question play calling on a weekly basis, but the bottom line is this staff can flat out coach.

Good luck to the Greenbrier players the rest of the season.

I now return to Region 7AAA and let you guys hash this out.

Ok. I have seen this post keep popping up on the the front page. I've read thru these posts and think that maybe hudsonj is thinking that he has opened not a can of worms, but a can of snakes and they have bit him. I really hope the Bobcats coaches do not read these negatives, but the positives because when you have a down year, the coaches don't need the fans to start questioning, because they are already questioning what else they can do to get this team back on track. Sometimes the talents not there but these coaches bring out the talent in kids. Sometimes it's enthusiasm in the kids, and sometimes it is what it is this year with Greenbrier----injury upon injury. You can't ask a kid with a concussion to stay on the field (who'd want him to?) or a kid with a bad knee or ankle. It is a draw of bad luck to have this many hurt at one time. It's not the coaching, hudsonj. If you're that unhappy with this team, you need to stay home. Appreciate what you have, and what you've had in recent years. Three straight region titles, (one without Roger Herndon), 23 straight region wins, playoff games, a trip to the Boro, great fan support, a respected program and respected coaches, not to mention Blake Fulton and Pat Sperduto sing GHS' praises. Yeah---who'd want to live in all that?

If Kirk does read this, note all the positives comments and ask for a raise! :thumb:

i don't think yall are realizing that we lose more talent each year. our sophmore and freshman class is small in size and aren't as athletic. sure they will work out and get bigger but i think we're gonna be watching the playoffs instead of playing in them for the next few years.

When do you start to question the coaches at GB----- Never, you have one of the top 5 coaching staffs in 3a.You are somewhat like WH.You are so used to winning a down season makes you have doubts.Like I have said on WH threads many times, The coaches havnt forgot to coach,sometimes the talent level just isnt there or injuries come into play or both.I look for GB to rebound nicely, sometimes it just takes alittle longer to reload

When do you start to question the coaches at GB----- Never, you have one of the top 5 coaching staffs in 3a.You are somewhat like WH.You are so used to winning a down season makes you have doubts.Like I have said on WH threads many times, The coaches havnt forgot to coach,sometimes the talent level just isnt there or injuries come into play or both.I look for GB to rebound nicely, sometimes it just takes alittle longer to reload

Good post, Titans...Greenbrier will recover. We may be down but I have faith that it won't be for long.

Here's to next week. I don't think WH will get much talk out of Greenbrier this coming week. :thumb: