McMinn and Sevier Co.

TribeFan

Any thoughts on this possible first round TSSAA playoff game.

I understand after speaking to some of my friends in the Knoxville area that the Smoky Bears like to throw the ball all over the field but are a little weak on defending the run.

McMinn has won 5 straight and hopefully it will be 6 coming into the first round of the playoffs. They have a good running game with #2 Trace Mcdermott and a threat @ QB #8 Devon Johnson. On defense they have done a good job of defending the run but have shown a weakness early in the year on defending the pass but have improved over the past few weeks.

Anybody got any information about this game and what can the McMinn fans expect to find when they arrive. I understand that the traffic is worse then terrible??? What about the stadium? GO TRIBE!!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some numbers of interest:

Sevier County opponent's are a combined 42 and 39 over nine weeks.

Sevier Co. averages 27.8 points per game and gives up 13 points per game on defense. They have played 5 schools with a winning record and two teams that have won only two games all year.

McMinn opponent's are a combined 42 and 39 over nine weeks.

McMinn averages 31 points per game and gives up 22 points per game of defense. McMinn has played 6 schools with a winning record and one team that has won only one game and one that has won 2 games all year.

Sounds like a evenly matched game if you go by the numbers....GO TRIBE!!!!

Sevier Co seems to play very good in big games (loss to D-B in final seconds; beating Bearden pretty bad 42-21). They just come ready to play when the pressure is on. And being at home is definitely a plus...

Sevier Co over McMinn by 10

What kind of offense does SC run? What about on defense? Who are the players to look out for? Edited by TribeFan

Any thoughts on this possible first round TSSAA playoff game.

I understand after speaking to some of my friends in the Knoxville area that the Smoky Bears like to throw the ball all over the field but are a little weak on defending the run.

McMinn has won 5 straight and hopefully it will be 6 coming into the first round of the playoffs. They have a good running game with #2 Trace Mcdermott and a threat @ QB #8 Devon Johnson. On defense they have done a good job of defending the run but have shown a weakness early in the year on defending the pass but have improved over the past few weeks.

Anybody got any information about this game and what can the McMinn fans expect to find when they arrive. I understand that the traffic is worse then terrible??? What about the stadium? GO TRIBE!!!!

Your sources on the Bear's defensive liabilities are a little off. The one constant of this team has been their defense and in particular their ability to play well against the run. Against the pass we have been pretty solid led by Watson & Co. except for the DB game where they constantly abused our right CB. We run a base 3-5 to utilize our athleticism and speed as we are not the largest team you have played. Our LB's corp is led by Cory Baxter, Daniel Cotter and Andrew Feezel. Chad Henderson is our best down lineman. This defense is known for their speed and ability to swarm the ball carrier.

The offense runs multiple formations and has three solid running backs in Blake Wallace, Taylor Thomas and Shawn Hodge. Either of those three has enough speed to take it the distance if given the opportunity. If need be we also have the capability to go the air route with the main targets being James Feezel and Trey Pippin. Again enough speed to take it to the house if given the chance. Running the ball is our first option but we can pass well enough if forced to. The straw that stirs the drink and sets up everyone else however is QB Corey Watson. He provides a duel threat by both running the veer and scrambling or throwing from the shot gun. The most elusive and best open field runner we have ever had IMO. His passing skills are good but not great for the short to midrange throws so don't be looking for any 50 yard bombs. The offense has more speed and playmakers then we have had in a long time. The best way to describe our offense is finesse with quick strike capabilities. On the negative side, we have been prone to turnovers and numerious penalties at times which slowed us down immensly.

The major knock against this team, however, is in their inconsistency (especially the offense). Against some of the weaker teams, we have played very unmotivated and lethargic. However, when matched up against stiffer competition (DB, Bearden) we have played our best ball (with the WB loss being the lone exception). This team definitely plays up or down to the level of its competition it seems. Also we haven't had an open date to rest up until this week but I am not sure if I like the idea of our offense having all of that extra time off to get rusty and possibly revert back to some early season bad habits.

Our kicking game is just average at best with the lone exception being Corey Watson returning punts (three have gone the distance for TD's). As far as field goal kicking we won't beat anyone with a long one.

Traffic coming up 66 will more than likely be bad (bumper-to-bumper) due to the Fall colors and all of the tourist traffic. Leave yourself plenty of time (especially with the playoff times being pushed up to 7:00).

The stadium is large and accomodating with the visitor's side having one of the area's nicest and largest concrete bleacher sections. We are also one of the few schools that have 25 second play clocks at each endzone but they are only in operation when the oppossing coach agrees to their use. And yes we do have one of the highest crowns you will ever see on a high school football field. :rolleyes:

Edited by SCBear