Seeding Teams for the Playoffs would be much Fairer

basketballisbest

I think if Tennessee adopted a playoff system similar to Virginia's it would ease travel costs and make for better playoff games. Of course, there would only be 16 teams from each classification earning a spot instead of 32.

The only drawback is that Virginia's regions consist of teams that are located close to one another, as opposed to a school's population.

The system Virginia has is some kind of screwed up. Its awful. They people in Virginia hate it. One year, I think it was Goerge Wyth went 9-1, and didn't even make it into the play-offs... Alot of people from VA I've talked to said they would kill to have a play-off system as simple and as effective as ours. Why screw up something that works? The BEST team always wins.... Leave it alone. It works.

Edited by Rangerbook06

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My shot at a new playoff system? 4A playoff???

East side

1.Sullivan South 6-0 8-1

2 Tennessee 5-1 7-2

3 Johnson Co. 4-2 7-2

4 Elizabethton 3-3 3-6

Region 2

# Team Region Overall

1 Morristown West 6-0 9-0

2 Morristown East 5-1 6-3

3 Daniel Boone 4-2 7-2

4 Cherokee 3-3 5-4

Region 3

1 Maryville 6-0 9-0

2 Knox Central 5-1 7-2

3 West 5-1 5-4

4 Powell 3-3 4-5

Region 4

# Team Region Overall

1 Red Bank 6-0 9-0

2 Rhea Co. 5-1 6-3

3 Cleveland 4-2 7-2

4 Brainerd 3-3 4-5

West Side

1 Hillsboro 6-0 9-0

2 Maplewood 5-1 8-1

3 Stratford 4-2 6-3

4 Whites Creek 4-2 5-4

1 Springfield 6-0 9-0

2 Clarksville 5-1 6-3

3 Mt. Juliet 4-2 5-4

4 Kenwood 3-3 5-4

Region 7

# Team Region Overall

1 Munford 4-0 6-3

2 Henry Co. 3-1 5-4

3 Brighton 2-2 5-4

4 Hardin Co. 1-3 5-4

# Team Region Overall

1 Melrose 4-0 8-1

2 Fairley 3-1 7-2

3 Memphis East 2-2 5-4

4 Raleigh Egypt 2-2 2-7

two brackets East and West

top two teams in the region are seeded 1-8

bottom two seeds in region are 9-16

I seeded the teams with CoachT's Strength + Success Ranking

WEST

#1 Hillsboro vs #16 Raleigh Egypt

#7 Henry Co. vs. #10 Stratford

#5 Fairly vs. #12 Mt. Juliet

#3 Melrose vs. #14 Kenwood

#4 Springfield vs. #13 Hardin Co.

#6 Munford vs. #11 Brighton

#8 Clarkville vs. #9 Memphis East

#2 Maplewood vs. # 15 Whites Creek

EAST

#2 Maryville vs #15 Powell

#8 Morristown East vs #9 Cleveland

#6 Knox Central vs #11 Daniel Boone

#4 Redbank vs. vs. #13 Cherokee

#3 Sullivan South vs. #14 Brainerd

#5 Tennessee vs. #12 West

#7 Rhea Co. vs. #10 Johnson Co.

#1 Morristown West vs #16 Elizabethton

what do you think about this playoff scenario?????????

Better Games +++++

more money travel -------

East side

1.Sullivan South 6-0 8-1

2 Tennessee 5-1 7-2

3 Johnson Co. 4-2 7-2

4 Elizabethton 3-3 3-6

Region 2

# Team Region Overall

3 Daniel Boone 4-2 7-2

4 Cherokee 3-3 5-4

Region 3

1 Maryville 6-0 9-0

2 Knox Central 5-1 7-2

3 West 5-1 5-4

4 Powell 3-3 4-5

Region 4

# Team Region Overall

1 Red Bank 6-0 9-0

2 Rhea Co. 5-1 6-3

3 Cleveland 4-2 7-2

4 Brainerd 3-3 4-5

West Side

1 Hillsboro 6-0 9-0

2 Maplewood 5-1 8-1

3 Stratford 4-2 6-3

4 Whites Creek 4-2 5-4

1 Springfield 6-0 9-0

2 Clarksville 5-1 6-3

3 Mt. Juliet 4-2 5-4

4 Kenwood 3-3 5-4

Region 7

# Team Region Overall

1 Munford 4-0 6-3

2 Henry Co. 3-1 5-4

3 Brighton 2-2 5-4

4 Hardin Co. 1-3 5-4

# Team Region Overall

1 Melrose 4-0 8-1

2 Fairley 3-1 7-2

3 Memphis East 2-2 5-4

4 Raleigh Egypt 2-2 2-7

WEST

EAST

Better Games +++++

Brighton and Munford same region, why play teams from your own region, the system we have now is great, to eliminate something we should just let top two teams enter the playoffs. Any time you have seeds, someone gets to pick those, Subjectivity then comes in, Kinda like boxing, figure skating and gynastics, all have judges and no one in the state will see all teams play, let their regional record seed them and pit one region against another and OH I got an idea, lets leave it like it is.

East side

1.Sullivan South 6-0 8-1

2 Tennessee 5-1 7-2

3 Johnson Co. 4-2 7-2

4 Elizabethton 3-3 3-6

Region 2

# Team Region Overall

3 Daniel Boone 4-2 7-2

4 Cherokee 3-3 5-4

Region 3

1 Maryville 6-0 9-0

2 Knox Central 5-1 7-2

3 West 5-1 5-4

4 Powell 3-3 4-5

Region 4

# Team Region Overall

1 Red Bank 6-0 9-0

2 Rhea Co. 5-1 6-3

3 Cleveland 4-2 7-2

4 Brainerd 3-3 4-5

West Side

1 Hillsboro 6-0 9-0

2 Maplewood 5-1 8-1

3 Stratford 4-2 6-3

4 Whites Creek 4-2 5-4

1 Springfield 6-0 9-0

2 Clarksville 5-1 6-3

3 Mt. Juliet 4-2 5-4

4 Kenwood 3-3 5-4

Region 7

# Team Region Overall

1 Munford 4-0 6-3

2 Henry Co. 3-1 5-4

3 Brighton 2-2 5-4

4 Hardin Co. 1-3 5-4

# Team Region Overall

1 Melrose 4-0 8-1

2 Fairley 3-1 7-2

3 Memphis East 2-2 5-4

4 Raleigh Egypt 2-2 2-7

WEST

EAST

Better Games +++++

Nice try ... I still don't like it.

1) My main reason is because you had to 'subject' your selections using CoachT's Strength + Success Ranking system. That alone opens the door to bias. Its the BCS all over again. If I'm Springfield ... I'm mad that I am a 4 seed behind Maplewood and Melrose. I can go on and on but I will stop here. Too much room for injection of opinons. Region play should reward you more for play in your region then your overall body of work. (i.e. region record trumps overall record).

2) I prefer the seeding format that follows the format of the lowest seed always plays the highest seed throughout the tournament should the lower seeds win out. 1 vs 16 plays the winner of 8 vs 9, while on the bottom half of this same bracket you will have 2 vs 15 playing the winner of the 7 vs 10 game ... second round will have 1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7 until eventually in the quarters you have 1 vs 4 playing the winner of 2 vs 3 to set up a 1 vs 2 semifinal game ultimately setting a 1 vs 1 in the championship game.

I don't see this happening because I don't want seeding in the first place. I don't give a plug nickle what criteria is used to select the seeding. Subjectiveness WILL be present.

That's it for me on this topic ... I will read everybody elses views and ideas but I'm firmly entrenched in my beliefs that seeding has bias prevelent throughout. I prefer a system where bias is totally eliminated. NO SEEDING FORMAT CAN DO THAT. PERIOD! Therefore I will never be for seeding in high school football.

Region play RULES!

That's it for me on this topic ... I will read everybody elses views and ideas but I'm firmly entrenched in my beliefs that seeding has bias prevelent throughout. I prefer a system where bias is totally eliminated. NO SEEDING FORMAT CAN DO THAT. PERIOD! Therefore I will never be for seeding in high school football.

Region play RULES!

I agree with you. Who ever started this thread must not follow the NCAA when it comes to football and basketball.

We don't need that stupid stuff in high school sports. In fact the NCAA could learn something from this playoff system.

Win in your region and then win to advance in the playoffs. Just how simple does it have to be made???????

If you are not good enough to be in the top 4 in your region then why should you go to the play offs, example Independence, I understand how tough that region is but if 4 teams in that region are better than well odds are there is a lot more out there that are better.

Fact of the matter is this....Does this system send the BEST teams in the state to the playoffs? NO WAY! I know the system is trying to be fair and all by allowing 4 teams from each region to be represented, but come on...3-7 teams have no business being in the state plaoyffs PERIOD!

Take Independence for example...they would beat a vast majority of the teams (regardless of their record) in the 5A brackets, yet several 4th place seeds in other regions, with losing or barely .500 records are in.

You statement about being "good enough to be in the top 4 of your region" does not hold water here...if you are good enough and deserving enough, you belong in the playoffs..regardless of region.

If the system does not change, or some regions not realigned, then one of the better teams in the STATE will be left out each year from Region 6-5A.

The system is just fine right now, why is it so unfair, if central was in the same league with Maryville, why dont they ever beat them, does Central care anything about winning the Championship or do they just want to play another game or two. Still have to beat the best whether it is the first round or 5th.

Fact of the matter is this....Does this system send the BEST teams in the state to the playoffs? NO WAY! I know the system is trying to be fair and all by allowing 4 teams from each region to be represented, but come on...3-7 teams have no business being in the state plaoyffs PERIOD!

Take Independence for example...they would beat a vast majority of the teams (regardless of their record) in the 5A brackets, yet several 4th place seeds in other regions, with losing or barely .500 records are in.

You statement about being "good enough to be in the top 4 of your region" does not hold water here...if you are good enough and deserving enough, you belong in the playoffs..regardless of region.

If the system does not change, or some regions not realigned, then one of the better teams in the STATE will be left out each year from Region 6-5A.

Well it does send the best four in each region and well if you are not in the top four in your region, tehn you are not one of the top four in the state.

Hit or be hit, wiht a handle like that, I would think that if you do not get it doen in the regular season then why would you deserve the post season, It is the same way in the NFL, major league baseball, and the NBA and thsoe folks have teh best system.

I am just curious, who would you suggest seed these teams, I look at your example and wonder how it is that DB is seeded above Ridgeway and Dickson county above Wooddale, and I know who Dickson county has lost to. I do not know who Sevier county has lost to and really do not care, because I do not know who all that these teams have beaten and who they have beaten, the current system seeds teams based on very similar schedules playing in region teams and using whatever system you suggest for seeding well it just would not be as accurate and as fair as you might think. There are undefeated teams out there that really have not played top notch opponents and there are teams out there that have lost 3 games that have played top teams, Dickson coutny for example, losses to Franklin and Riverdale, but they are 7-2, they must not be as good as OOTLEWAH.

I believe a combination of polls, strength of schedule and coaches votes, could come up with some reasonable seedings. I think one of the problems with our current playoff system is that many teams have to face each other early in the system, because of the region vs region format we currently have. I agree with an earlier poster that sometimes even better teams are left out, because they are playing stiffer competition.

People who simply don't want to talk about other possibilities are the same people who would have us eating out of caves and throwing away all new technology, because they won't open their minds to something new, and possibly better. All I am asking is that we consider something new and something that will likely cause the best teams to face each other in the latter games of the playoffs. By the way, I am also one that would like to see the champions of each classification face each other in to determine who truly has the best team in the state. I know, the problem is that it prolongs the season, which is already very long. But just trying to think outside the proverbial box.

I think they should change the Region vs. Region play in the play-offs. Keep East and West with 4 regions each but one year let Region 2 play Region 3 and then the next let Region 2 play Region 4 and so on and so on.

I agree as well. Prior to '97 I believe it was a format similar to this. Or it may have been like the process mentioned in the "cross bracketing" thread (1st Region 1 vs. 4th Region 2, 2nd Region 4 vs. 3rd Region 3, etc.). I like this because it eliminates early round season rematches.

I generally feel that the loser of the initial game of a rematch has an advantage simply because it's usually a difficult task to beat a good team twice in the same season. I realize rematches would still occur in 3rd and 4th rounds, but I believe it would provide for better football than consistently seeing regular season rematches in the 2nd round.

I don't think this is a good idea for Tennessee. Illinois does this for their high school playoffs, in which the system is antiquated. In each class (1A to 8A), they have a selection process for the playoffs. There are 32 teams in each bracket, with the top and bottom halves include teams seeded 1-16. Teams with at least six wins are automatically in the playoffs; but teams with fiive wins are on the bubble. There are no teams in the playoffs with less than five wins. With this system, there are some teams who travel 4 1/2 to 5 hours for a first-round playoff game. With high gas prices, that's way too long and too expensive!! I could not see Tennessee doing this. Below is the link on how the playoffs are determine in Illinois. Keep in mind that Illinois has a much bigger population than Tennessee. There are lots of schools and they don't have the region system; they go by conferences.

http://www.ihsa.org/activity/fb/2006-07/playoffs.htm

Edited by bellgo