AAA State Champions?

kickgrass

I'm not quite sure what all of this has to do with Bearden putting together a hardfought, superb run for the AAA crown... except to say that they do have a lot of good club players and a coach who must know something about the game since his leadership helped Bearden win both boys and girls championships in 2006.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure what all of this has to do with Bearden putting together a hardfought, superb run for the AAA crown... except to say that they do have a lot of good club players and a coach who must know something about the game since his leadership helped Bearden win both boys and girls championships in 2006.

nothing my problem lies with the tssaa caring more about making money than whats fair to the kids

its just a couple of bearden fans or parents twisting my words

Clinics would be a big improvement, but I also think the USYSA licenseing process is flawed in that you must be able to actually play and perform the movements to get the license. You don't have to be able to play the game to be a good coach. You have to be a student of the game and have the skills to get players to perform at their best.

Any coach worth their "salt" will do their best to be able to grow in their understanding and teaching of the sport.... which involves being able to demonstrate at some level, the basic skill or concept. Even if that means taking the time to practice the skill yourself. The USYSA courses don't get silly like that until the C and above levels. Not saying the coach should still be playing on a team, but they should be able to do some basic domonstration. Or at least be humble enough to bring in an outsider that can.

Quote: mjuhb:

"its just a couple of bearden fans or parents twisting my words"

Parent, no. Fan of good HS soccer which makes me a Bearden fan this year.

.... to insure a true champion can be crowned

Again, your words, not mine, no twisting.

Look, mj, I know you are sincere about your soccer, and I appreciate what you do for the forum as well as what you are doing for girls' soccer, BUT, I have yet to see you CONGRATULATE the AAA state champs. Why is that so hard to do? They won, on the tough road, with what the TSSAA required.

I think that someone can be an excellent coach without being able to do a good "stepover" or "scissors" or show a goalkeeper the proper way to do a collapsed dive. However, I do agree with the statement that someone should. Bring in trainers that can teach these things well. Someone who hasn't played the game is not going to learn to do the actual moves as well as most of their players.

A good coach will be a student of the game, in tactics, and strategy and teach these without being an excellent player. As a student of the game they must be constantly updating their knowledge. In my opinion a good coach will teach the players about the game, be an excellent motivator, read his players and the game that is going on and be able to make adjustements to referees and the other team. There are numerous resources avaialble in books, videos, clinics, and conventions where people who are serious about being a good coach can learn tactics, etc. However, being a motivator and being able to read players and adapt to them is probably something that they have or don't.

Being new to the sport, I don't know what all the hubb-bubb is about regarding the "qualifications" of a soccer coach.

What I do know is high school sports are where dreams are realized or dashed, where memories and friendships are made. High school sports are for high school kids to particiate in -- with a team goal of being state champs.

Winning a state championship is EARNED. Bearden's coach obviously knows what he is doing to teach, demonstrate, strategize and motivate his players to a win. Who cares if a soccer technique wasn't done "textbook". Winners play with guts (hereditary trait), mental toughness (hereditary trait), a will to "survive/win" that comes from deep inside the player that no coach or parent can teach.

When half the players are down the field within scoring range of the ball to the goal and the keeper is on the line to save the ball, do you honestly think those 8-10 girls all piled up at the front of the net are thinking about what the coach said yesterday or the professional trainer said this past summer, or replaying a technique tape in their mind to score? I bet not.

CONGRATULATIONS COACH TURNER AND BEARDEN LADY BULLDOGS.

I think that someone can be an excellent coach without being able to do a good "stepover" or "scissors" or show a goalkeeper the proper way to do a collapsed dive. However, I do agree with the statement that someone should. Bring in trainers that can teach these things well. Someone who hasn't played the game is not going to learn to do the actual moves as well as most of their players.

A good coach will be a student of the game, in tactics, and strategy and teach these without being an excellent player. As a student of the game they must be constantly updating their knowledge. In my opinion a good coach will teach the players about the game, be an excellent motivator, read his players and the game that is going on and be able to make adjustements to referees and the other team. There are numerous resources avaialble in books, videos, clinics, and conventions where people who are serious about being a good coach can learn tactics, etc. However, being a motivator and being able to read players and adapt to them is probably something that they have or don't.

I said nothing about the coach being a "baller". But even you and I with our limitted "middle-aged" athleticism, can breakdown and demonstrate a basic fundamental skill/move. I see club players get lazy because the coach doesn't stay on the the simple fundamentals of receiveing the ball with your toe up. But if a coach has never experienced the ball "doinging" away off a "toe down" or "hard foot", then they just yell "don't lose it" not "get your toe up & soften your leg". Tactics aren't worth the paper they are printed on if your team can't exacute the fundamentals. HS play is sloppy often because there is very little time spent on drilling the fundamentals. Most coaches don't want to take the time to modulate a training session and simply spend most of their time scrimmaging where the majority of the players will watch 2or3 players involved in the play. Can you imagine what it would be like if our athletes speant even 20-30 minutes of the HS practice on individual and partner skills? But that would take some planning and be more demanding than sending them on a run and returning to some shooting drill or scrimmaging. Tactis are overated until you get to the highest level! The rest of the world dominates us because they are "more skilled". Give me 11 players who have great fundamentals and I will smoke your team of tactics in my "hoo...kah" pipe!

OK... I'll say it.... I am sick of watching HS "kick ball" and the "let's race o the ball" game. Keep-away anyone?

I do however agree with the "Psycho-babel" part... coaches who can pull on heart strings and create a healthy team environment have a BIG edge.

Edited by papa-K

Quote: mjuhb:

"its just a couple of bearden fans or parents twisting my words"

Parent, no. Fan of good HS soccer which makes me a Bearden fan this year.

Again, your words, not mine, no twisting.

Look, mj, I know you are sincere about your soccer, and I appreciate what you do for the forum as well as what you are doing for girls' soccer, BUT, I have yet to see you CONGRATULATE the AAA state champs. Why is that so hard to do? They won, on the tough road, with what the TSSAA required.

I will reply and absolutley congratulate BEARDEN HS as the 2006 TN AAA STATE SOCCER CHAMPIONS. Anytime you put together three wins in a row as they did there is no doubt that they deserve to celebrate their championship.

My daughter played in the match saturday and since she is a senior, I won't be posting anything more after today. So here's my two cents worth ( and that's about what it's worth)

For anyone to think that simply because you lose in a regional match that you don't deserve to be at state and have a chance to be a "true champion" is a complete joke. Bearden played like champions in every match in the state tournament. They persevered against three good teams.

I have watched and been involved in both club soccer and high school soccer for many years. While it is true there are very good club coaches who possess a great deal of knowledge and skill it would also be a mistake to write off high school coaches so easily. My daughter has been blessed to have a HS school coach who simply coaches differently than her club coach. He is more than just competent and I would put him on the same level of many of our club coaches. He doesn't have the time time to "develop" players. I don't know of many HS coaches who do. But he instills confidence, attitude, respect for the game and much more.

At this point I will say that HS soccer has been the highlight of my daughters soccer career. She has enjoyed coming to the state finals a few times She has enjoyed playing for her HS coach every bit as much as her club coach if not more. ( doesn't mean one is better than the other, just different)

To close, I like the state tournament as it is unless someone can come up with a better format. I fully support the HS coaches who work so hard for little money and almost no recogniftion. They truely "do it for the kids". I like HS soccer because my daughter will take away such great memories that she will carry away with her for a lifetime.

AND I CONGRATUALTE BEARDEN HS AS " TRUE STATE CHAMPIONS"

OK since so many of you have very little faith in the HS coaches which ones do you feel do a good job? I of course feel both Club and School have their place in developing well rounded players and neither is infallable but I do believe some coaches dont get the respect they deserve as well as some getting too much credit. No HS coaches cant get into as much as they would like in a year but some club coaches dont get into as much team unity as they should so it is a trade off. Each has its pluses and minuses thus making what we would hope to be as perfect a player as can be had by the time they are 18. With that said who do you think does a good job all the way around as a HS coach? What are they good at?

I of course feel both Club and School have their place in developing well rounded players and neither is infallable but I do believe some coaches dont get the respect they deserve as well as some getting too much credit. No HS coaches cant get into as much as they would like in a year but some club coaches dont get into as much team unity as they should so it is a trade off. Each has its pluses and minuses thus making what we would hope to be as perfect a player as can be had by the time they are 18.

Coquette, I think that is very well said.