6-5A versus 5-5A

hardtackle

On paper, the seeding suggests Gallatin and HL, Franklin and DC as the victors.

Region 5 always has the edge with size, speed and athleticism. Region 6 has the edge in discipline and scheme which stems from their biggest edge: coaching. Another edge 6 has going for it is experience. They've had more players advance deeper in the playoff atmosphere and expectations than their counterparts; they've also played some pretty impressive out of region opponents (BA, Riverdale, Smyrna, Lincoln Cty.)

Gallatin is the only heavy favorite in the bunch, but you can't underestimate the intangible of defending your state championship.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper, the seeding suggests Gallatin and HL, Franklin and DC as the victors.

Region 5 always has the edge with size, speed and athleticism. Region 6 has the edge in discipline and scheme which stems from their biggest edge: coaching. Another edge 6 has going for it is experience. They've had more players advance deeper in the playoff atmosphere and expectations than their counterparts; they've also played some pretty impressive out of region opponents (BA, Riverdale, Smyrna, Lincoln Cty.)

Gallatin is the only heavy favorite in the bunch, but you can't underestimate the intangible of defending your state championship.

I do not think there is an coaching edge in 6-5A. What coaches are the reasons for your statemant? Give the coaching edge for each of the first round games.Gall- Rav, HL-Brent.,DC-Ant.,Fran- Hend. I do not think experience will have an affect after 10 games.

Edited by hardtackle

I do not think there is an coaching edge in 6-5A. What coaches are the reasons for your statemant? Give the coaching edge for each of the first round games.Gall- Rav, HL-Brent.,DC-Ant.,Fran- Hend. I do not think experience will have an affect after 10 games.

Let's ask Maverick or point out the fact that Region 6 has had a finalist for the State Championship in each of the last 3 years, winning 2. That is probably attributed to something like coaching.

It is fairly easy to point out. The three state finalists (Crawford, Johnson, and Rector) all beat teams that had them out-athleted virtually every step of the way toward the 'Boro-sometimes dramatically. Johnson is gone, but his replacement is more than up to the test from his years of playoff experience in KY.

If they face teams that are bigger, faster, and more athletic from 5-A, how do you account for the domination? The obvious answer is coaching. The coaching staffs among the Region 6 playoff schools is extremely deep and talented. On the BHS staff alone you have three ex-head coaches that serve as assistants.

From what I've witnessed over the years in 5-A, the offenses and defenses are rather pedestrian, and get outschemed, particularly in the second half. What I've witnessed of the Metro teams in particular, is an appaling lack of poise and fundamentals. They try to win on athleticism alone, and when things don't go their way-poof, they lose all discipline. It makes it easy pickings for the experience in the Region 6 coaching staffs. Frankly speaking, the Sumner County schools have provided the only tests from that region.

It is fairly easy to point out. The three state finalists (Crawford, Johnson, and Rector) all beat teams that had them out-athleted virtually every step of the way toward the 'Boro-sometimes dramatically. Johnson is gone, but his replacement is more than up to the test from his years of playoff experience in KY.

If they face teams that are bigger, faster, and more athletic from 5-A, how do you account for the domination? The obvious answer is coaching. The coaching staffs among the Region 6 playoff schools is extremely deep and talented. On the BHS staff alone you have three ex-head coaches that serve as assistants.

From what I've witnessed over the years in 5-A, the offenses and defenses are rather pedestrian, and get outschemed, particularly in the second half. What I've witnessed of the Metro teams in particular, is an appaling lack of poise and fundamentals. They try to win on athleticism alone, and when things don't go their way-poof, they lose all discipline. It makes it easy pickings for the experience in the Region 6 coaching staffs. Frankly speaking, the Sumner County schools have provided the only tests from that region.

First of all, I'm not a big fan of Metro and you are correct on some things. What was Johnson's record this past year? What was Crawford's record at Coffee Co. when he was coach there? The kid's at Brentwood, Franklin, and Ravenwood have more self-discipline than the kid's in Metro. The players are not more athletic in Metro, count the college players and see who has more. As for schemes, Dickson Co. whipped just about everybody in your county running about 6 plays. I bet if the coaching staffs swapped schools, the same teams that you say would win would still win and the staffs in Williamson co. would lose. It is the players that make the difference.

Edited by hardtackle

Franklin has had thrilling wins in the playoffs against Region 5. We all remember the Gallatin game (the mud and the lights) Hendersonville (#4 seed) going for two to win in overtime and getting snuffed( Jon Kirn). Antioch losing in the final minutes to the "Halfback Throwback"(Jonathon Haines). Hunters Lane(huge line) ahead 24-7 at half and Franklin's Oline coming back and pounding away to win 28-24.

When it comes to this time of year and this level of talent ...it all boils down to heart!

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Region 6 has faired better in these games, but the scores haven't been as lopsided as people would think. Hunters Lane has given Brentwood all they have wanted in the past. Antioch had Franklin beat two years ago before a fumbled punt snap and the halfback throwback.

You have to figure that Region 5-5A will start winning some of these games soon. I like Woodward over at Antioch and I think next year, they will be dangerous. They just don't match up well with Dickson County.

Region 6 has faired better in these games, but the scores haven't been as lopsided as people would think. Hunters Lane has given Brentwood all they have wanted in the past. Antioch had Franklin beat two years ago before a fumbled punt snap and the halfback throwback.

You have to figure that Region 5-5A will start winning some of these games soon. I like Woodward over at Antioch and I think next year, they will be dangerous. They just don't match up well with Dickson County.

Agree with you that the games should all be close. I think the world of Woodward/Quarles but Dickson has a better team this year on both sides of the ball.

Not only did Antioch have Franklin down in the 4th but for the Half Back throw back to the QB, but Hville also had Franklin down with 2:30 to play when Franklin drove the field and hit a FG to force OT when the 2 point conversion attempt went sour.

My point is - not only did players demonstrate heart and determination, but the coaches demeanor and year long preperation helped create that heart and determination. Not to mention the fundamental details in execution.

Good luck to all teams! This is what you've worked all year for - and the fan's get the reward!

Here we go..

Gallatin over Ravenwood

Brentwood over Hunters Lane

Dickson Co. over Antioch

Franklin over Hendersonville

ROUND 2

Gallatin over Brentwood

Franklin over Dickson Co.

AND THE KICKER...

Franklin over Gallatin

I even went as far as to having Franklin beating Ridgeway and getting into the state finals. Their a good young team. Sellers seems to need development, but shows flashes of past quarterback like Mikrut or Refegee. They have a steller Defense corps and I think they have the talent needed to make a run this year. However, I do have them losing to Ooltewah in the finals