TSSAA officials

canefan72

For every 3 good TSSAA officials, there is one whom knows nothing about football. What are the requirements to be an official. My whole view of a well officiated game is one that when it is over, you can't recall the officials being there. I think they feel they need to be part of the game instead of just doing the job they get paid for.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For every 3 good TSSAA officials, there is one whom knows nothing about football. What are the requirements to be an official. My whole view of a well officiated game is one that when it is over, you can't recall the officials being there. I think they feel they need to be part of the game instead of just doing the job they get paid for.

canefan72 I have officiated high school football for the past 35 years, starting in GA and then moving to TN, I have called four state championship games, two in each state, and this definition of a fan is shared by most of my peers. You can spot a hold or a clip on the two yard line while sitting at the other end of the field, but you cannot find your car in the parking lot after the game. We have to pay to join the TSSAA and the local association, then, buy the uniform and equipment and pass a rules test. We work scrimmages for free and we attend meetings weekly and discuss our games. We are watched by state supervisors at each game and given a report as to how we did. We are the ones under a microscope, not the players. We don't fumble. drop a pass, hold, clip, block below the waist, etc, but we catch the when we call the penalties. We don't care who wins, we just watch the action and react accordingly. Having said all that, some officials are like cops. Some have a flag and a whistle and some cops have a badge and a gun, and they think the fans are there to see them work. That is true in society too. The best job we can do is to make half the fans happy, but we don't care how many of you are happy, we are there to do a job, and with little pay. But the ones of us who have a passion for the job don't care how much we get paid, we love the game. So, if you are ready to quit complaining, I suggest you join the state and local association, buy the equipment, pass the test, and get on the field. Otherwise keep your comments to yourself, you don't have the first clue. Most of you don't know the difference between a yard line and a clothes line.

Edited by robjim

you took what I said wrong. I was saying that for 3 that do a good job, the 4th can make a whole crew look bad. I know you don't committ penalties, those are high school kids and you are an adult. You seem to be very thin skinned to be an official. Chill out, I was not trashing refs, just the ones whom blow calls and make a whole crew look bad.

canefan72 I have officiated high school football for the past 35 years, starting in GA and then moving to TN, I have called four state championship games, two in each state, and this definition of a fan is shared by most of my peers. You can spot a hold or a clip on the two yard line while sitting at the other end of the field, but you cannot find your car in the parking lot after the game. We have to pay to join the TSSAA and the local association, then, buy the uniform and equipment and pass a rules test. We work scrimmages for free and we attend meetings weekly and discuss our games. We are watched by state supervisors at each game and given a report as to how we did. We are the ones under a microscope, not the players. We don't fumble. drop a pass, hold, clip, block below the waist, etc, but we catch the when we call the penalties. We don't care who wins, we just watch the action and react accordingly. Having said all that, some officials are like cops. Some have a flag and a whistle and some cops have a badge and a gun, and they think the fans are there to see them work. That is true in society too. The best job we can do is to make half the fans happy, but we don't care how many of you are happy, we are there to do a job, and with little pay. But the ones of us who have a passion for the job don't care how much we get paid, we love the game. So, if you are ready to quit complaining, I suggest you join the state and local association, buy the equipment, pass the test, and get on the field. Otherwise keep your comments to yourself, you don't have the first clue. Most of you don't know the difference between a yard line and a clothes line.

this was a very insightful post I didnt know half that stuff good to know. bad calls and non calls are just part of the game it all equalls out in the end. still its frustrating.

Edited by robjim

I enjoyed the reading, but there are some terrible officals including college. Most are as you described.

Ole Dad

Edited by robjim

I enjoyed the reading, but there are some terrible officals including college. Most are as you described.

Ole Dad

By and large, they are at least as good as the players and coaches in the games they ref. Perfection does not exist in football. It is frustrating when they miss a call, and occassional booing is to be expected when you choose to referee, but some of the abuse is completely unwarranted.

The post you just made sums up the view people have of most officials. You know everything and the fans don't. I do have the football IQ to know a poor call when I see one as well as a smart a** official when I see one. When you get booed at a game, stop and think. if 1,500 people or so think you are wrong, there is a chance you might be. I know about 8 TSSAA officials. 2 are really good guys and try to do a good job and the other 6 are total idiots(not just football but total idiots as well). If you complain about having to buy the uni, etc. then just quit, no one is making you do it but if you decide to do it, do the best job you can do and stop crying if people boo your less than best effort.

Very well said this stuff is good to know