I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

As for Crumbley v. Galyon...

I think a lot of my comments stem from last year's games. I saw Galyon do some stuff that seemed to puzzle the first-year head coach; which is why I said it looked like she did on the job training.

I'll give Crumbley credit where its due - her team is good - but.......it just seems like Galyon has her number when these 2 teams play. It happens all the time in sports.......Spurrier has/had Fulmer's number, Bill Belichick had Dungy/Manning's.

Is it "unfair" to label that as outcoached? Maybe so, but the media always does this kind of thing, but I got that feeling when I saw those two teams play last season.

And as far as those accolades, those are always questionable. The only people probably eligible for Greene Co. coach of the year in hoops (by default) are Duncan, Crumbley, Terry Hoese and Amy Hawk. As for PrepXtra.....lol....the only time PrepXtra was worth something was under Mark Burgess, then he went to the UT beat when Gary Lundy passed away.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, those girls could not hit anything. The best coaching decisions made by Galyon were the keep-away strategy(questionable considering how poorly Greeneville was shooting) and the possession fouls at the end of the game (no-brainer)...however, the decision to play an inexperienced player at the end of the game ultimately cost West. A freshman with little playing time misjudged the clock and cost them the game. C'mon PT, unless you were at that game, you should not make such an inflamatory statement. Crumbley's girls got the win...obviously they had enough of an edge and believe me it wasn't shooting percentage. I don't believe I would call a 31-29 game an "offensive shootout". Seriously, if West had shot more and passed less, they probably could have won this one. Greeneville could not hit their backsides with either of their hands.You have been dogging her for 2 years now, surely its time to cut Crumbley some slack.

See my post. ^^^

I based my statement off of games last season.

I give Crumbley credit, but think Galyon has her number.

And the :lol: face after offensive shootout labels that as being sarcasm :D

Edited by PTSportsWriter

I have had enough of this bashing the Coaching staff at Greeneville. I for one appreciate all that they do for their team. You have three ladies that are farely young when it comes to coaching. We all know that there is always going to be some decisions made that may not be the best when you are young. However I do believe that these three coaches have learned from some of those decisions and made adjustments. Their team has already clinched the IMAC. They are preparing themselves to make another run at the state. If you look at what this team has done this year you have to be amazed.

The lost a very good senior last year with Forney. They also lost some other ahtletes to other sports. (Lauren Anderson, Samantha White, Makenzie Payne) they have had to fill some gaps this year. This team that they have is not the most talented team in the state. Everyone wants to bring up Greeneville's talent, but lets face it. They don't have a very talented team. What they do have is some girls that will work hard for three very good coaches. They have girls that will buy into their system. That is why they are where they are at. (23 wins and 3 losses) It takes some good coaches to get a team to buy into what they are doing and be successful.

We all can understand what the main issue is. The GHS Lady Devils are being successful under three women coaches. That is the hardest thing for some of you to accept. I am sure if Coach Crumbley was a male then you would not see anything said about her. I am also sure that you would also see some more quotes from her in the newspaper.

Good Luck Lady Devils on your trip to Morristown West. Beat the Trojans!!!!!!!

p.s. Galyon has not outcoached Crumbley this year at all. I guess if you consider sitting at home during the state tournament last year then I guess she got outcoached last year then.

As for Crumbley v. Galyon...

I think a lot of my comments stem from last year's games. I saw Galyon do some stuff that seemed to puzzle the first-year head coach; which is why I said it looked like she did on the job training.

I'll give Crumbley credit where its due - her team is good - but.......it just seems like Galyon has her number when these 2 teams play. It happens all the time in sports.......Spurrier has/had Fulmer's number, Bill Belichick had Dungy/Manning's.

Is it "unfair" to label that as outcoached? Maybe so, but the media always does this kind of thing, but I got that feeling when I saw those two teams play last season.

And as far as those accolades, those are always questionable. The only people probably eligible for Greene Co. coach of the year in hoops (by default) are Duncan, Crumbley, Terry Hoese and Amy Hawk. As for PrepXtra.....lol....the only time PrepXtra was worth something was under Mark Burgess, then he went to the UT beat when Gary Lundy passed away.

Oh so you are just doing what MEDIA always does. Last year, West was just a bit more talented and Crumbley was a bit less experienced....LAST YEAR...been over for a year now Mr Media...DZ did you know the media was supposed to be unfair to successful women coaches...Jeez PT might be a good idea to put that shovel away before you dig a hole so deep you can't get out.

Oh so you are just doing what MEDIA always does. Last year, West was just a bit more talented and Crumbley was a bit less experienced....LAST YEAR...been over for a year now Mr Media...DZ did you know the media was supposed to be unfair to successful women coaches...Jeez PT might be a good idea to put that shovel away before you dig a hole so deep you can't get out.

This PT guy is just about annoying...Is Galyon the best coach in the district? region? state? I think so to hear you talk about it PT...3 wins this season in the district? that's not doing too much out coaching in my opinion! According to the people that was actually at the g-ville/west game earlier in the year, Galyon made some rather POOR decisions during the game....glad to hear that you just do what all of the other media people do also..

Thanks for speaking for me.

Now that I can speak....

I've said that Galyon has Crumbley's number. And I said it may be unfair to label that as outcoached. For example, Spurrier teams beat Tennessee with Fulmer. Is that out-coaching, it could be and it generally is unfair to do so -- but the media always plays that Spurrier outcoaches and/or has Fulmer's number.

I've yet to see where this was something about women coaches.....but....ok. :unsure:

Because I dont know much about it :unsure:

Its a Newport Grammar School "team" - but I think its like 3-4 kids out there skiing with a dad being "coach".

I dont think its an official sport through the school.

Oh ok, i thought it was an organized sport. That would be cool. Im still waiting for Jeff Co to get bowling, but heck we can't even get 40 kids to play football so I wont hold my breath.

Okay here is my input on this. I feel that Galyon last year probably had a better team than Greeneville. I feel that this season Galyon has been really hurt badly by injuries. I think that Galyon had an excellent game plan against Greeneville in their first meeting and had a chance of winning. I also think that Greeneville shot the ball very poorly and the packed in zone defense worked like a charm. Cocke County did the same thing but Greeneville was hitting some of the shots that would not fall against West. I think the three ladies have made their share of mistakes and some of the things I might try could have results that were not good as well. But you can not argue with success and they are having a very successful year. And I don't think anyone has meant it to be a comment about them being female. Heck last time I checked a female coach had more victories than anyone in college basketball. And PT I agree sometimes a coach just has the other teams number and it is tough to get over that hump. It took the Bulls a while to get over the Pistons as well as the ones you have listed.

Oh ok, i thought it was an organized sport. That would be cool. Im still waiting for Jeff Co to get bowling, but heck we can't even get 40 kids to play football so I wont hold my breath.

I dont think its organized.......At least I'm not sure...

I know the HS has a skeet shooting team too, but I dont think this stuff is "school" sponsored. At least I know its not TSSAA/TMSAA sponsored.

We dont do much elementary stuff here - except for whats submitted to us. That skiing stuff is mostly submitted.

I go to sleep for a couple of hours and the thread goes all to ... :unsure: Anyway, I'll admit that i had reservations about Coach Crumbley last year, but Ive started to come around this year, especially after the win over Webb.

It's hard to tell how successfful, well coached...whatever, a team is against a conference as bad as the IMAC this year, butI've seen Webb play several times and I know the quality of team they are.

Also, after being stymied by Jeff Co's inside zone defense in the first half the first time they played this year, the Lady Devils made some halftime adjustments and were a different team the second half. Of course, it helped a lot that Deans was hitting everything she threw up from the outside, but it showed that the GHS staff knows how to make in-game adjustments.

I don't know Crumbley personally except the handful of times I've talked to her after Jeff Co games, but I know she can't be that old and she was thrown into a fire in Greeneville and hasn't missed a beat since Burkey left. So basically she has been learning to be a big-time head coach on the job, while keeping up the winning tradition in Greeneville.

Even veteran head coaches arent gonna always look like they know what they are doing. I remember during Jeff Co's last sub-state year, Potts let six players get out on the floor after a timeout in the final seconds and it cost them a win against Maryville.

Anyway, I don't think PTS means any harm lol. We all have our opinions. As for the notion that Greeneville isn't that talented, Ill have to disagree. They may be young, and a little raw, but they have a good group. In HS girls basketball, if you have two really good big girls underneath and a lot of role players then you can go pretty far, and Greeneville has prob the best 4-5 combo this side of Knoxville at least.

That said, after watching a large number of teams this year, I don't think the Lady Devils have the firepower to compete with some of the other top teams, especially after watching that Wilson Central game earlier this year, but they'll probably get their shot, and really that's all you can ask for.

Good luck to everyone's teams tonight, I'm off to see what Jeff Co team is going to show up tonight.

Edited by DZbettin

I go to sleep for a couple of hours and the thread goes all to ... :unsure: Anyway, I'll admit that i had reservations about Coach Crumbley last year, but Ive started to come around this year, especially after the win over Webb.

It's hard to tell how successfful, well coached...whatever, a team is against a conference as bad as the IMAC this year, butI've seen Webb play several times and I know the quality of team they are.

Also, after being stymied by Jeff Co's inside zone defense in the first half the first time they played this year, the Lady Devils made some halftime adjustments and were a different team the second half. Of course, it helped a lot that Deans was hitting everything she threw up from the outside, but it showed that the GHS staff knows how to make in-game adjustments.

I don't know Crumbley personally except the handful of times I've talked to her after Jeff Co games, but I know she can't be that old and she was thrown into a fire in Greeneville and hasn't missed a beat since Burkey left. So basically she has been learning to be a big-time head coach on the job, while keeping up the winning tradition in Greeneville.

Even veteran head coaches arent gonna always look like they know what they are doing. I remember during Jeff Co's last sub-state year, Potts let six players get out on the floor after a timeout in the final seconds and it cost them a win against Maryville.

Anyway, I don't think PTS means any harm lol. We all have our opinions. As for the notion that Greeneville isn't that talented, Ill have to disagree. They may be young, and a little raw, but they have a good group. In HS girls basketball, if you have two really good big girls underneath and a lot of role players then you can go pretty far, and Greeneville has prob the best 4-5 combo this side of Knoxville at least.

That said, after watching a large number of teams this year, I don't think the Lady Devils have the firepower to compete with some of the other top teams, especially after watching that Wilson Central game earlier this year, but they'll probably get their shot, and really that's all you can ask for.

Good luck to everyone's teams tonight, I'm off to see what Jeff Co team is going to show up tonight.

I had the reservations last year...but I think shes done a good job overall.

Galyon just has her number it seems.

Of course, as I've said many times. She was learning on the job. Not sure who else applied for the GHS job when Burkey left, but I was just personally shocked they got a first-year head coach (granted, she did assist with a college team) with an established program.

That said, hats off to her accomplishments. And hats off to the Greeneville folks for getting stirred up.

As for the IMAC - and that Greeneville isnt talented....I disagree with that. They should easily win the District and get to the regional finals on that talent alone. TN High is probably the best team out of District 1....and GHS has already beaten them by 10 this season.

Like DZ said, it takes about 2 girls to compete at this level and I think thats what all the IMAC teams have -- 2 standouts and role players. Greeneville has Dickson/Deans and role players. Cocke County has Buda/Depew and role players. Jeff County has Elliott/Chambers....West has Thayer/Cross (and had a lot more, but injuries wiped out a lot of their talent)....East has the Leeper girl and one more and Cherokee has Price.

The advantage goes to Greeneville there, because as DZ said their 4-5 inside combo is good. Everyone elses best two players seems to be a guard and a 4 or a 5....giving the Lady Devils the edge.