Dobyns Bennett & the Playoffs

WaCoJaCo

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more things change....The more they stay the same

I wonder if at the start of next years football season DB will be ranked #1 again. I wonder if DB fans will be talking "State Championship" again. Or was this finally the straw that broke the camels back. Certainly the players and coaches worked their butts off this year, just like every year, and should be praised for that. But at some point we all have to face the facts. This team was not going to win a State Championship. These were the guys we have all been watching sinse the 8th grade, and were said to be the "great hope". This was the team that would "finally" bring home the Gold Ball. The result, not even close. I see the same pattern with all the past DB teams that were "expected" to win it all. There are probably several different reasons why DB falls flat in the playoffs. Looking past their opponent, "choking", poor play calling, weak schedule, and just plain ole gettin' beat by a better team. You could probably roll all those reasons up in a ball and that would answer the question. At this point I have come to the conclusion that not a single DB team is as good as we DB fans think. I don't think the coaching staff is as good as we think, and I am positive DB is not as good as the people that vote in the polls think they are. I am sure some DB fans will really let me have it for even saying that, but I speak the truth. Why don't we all just settle down and realize our place in this world. DB is probabbly the best team year in and year out in Upper East Tennessee, and thats about it. People have been telling us all year that we would get beat in the first round and now they are laughing at us. So DB fans, before Basketball, and Baseball season gets underway, please let this be your final leason. Just try to win the district and don't even mention going to state. thanks

Great post WaCoJaCo. I think that we all discussed the fact that reion 2 was stronger and deeper than region 1. I am not at all suprised that WB knocked off DB. As a Big East fan, I have a lot of respect for the DB program and its tradition. I have said before that the head coach, while I am sure a great leader of young men, consistently get less out of more than any other head coach in east tennessee come playoff time. In my opinion, Coach Clark coaches "not to lose" instead of coaching to win. I also think he is subpar when it comes to making halftime adjustments. I distinctly remember sitting in the stands during the big upset game against Karns, discussing with other fans our hope that Coach Clark would continue to pass virtually every play, instead of running the draw plays that were consistently working against our defensive front (we where rushing 3, sometimes only 2, and dropping back into zones to stop the pass). Sure enough, the passing continued, fumbles and interceptions ensued, and the game was over. DB has the talent to go further in the playoffs. I am not sure that will happen with this staff. Great won/loss records and region titles may or may not be a sufficient consolation.

Well is that not the truth? I remember DB did at first say yes and then changed their mind and said they want to play someone that could play all three games as in Varsity, JV and Freshman instead of Varsity and Freshman. Anyways, that was 2 years ago so it doesn't matter. I just brought it up because of the talk about DB not playing better non-region competition.

yes that was 2 years ago and yes it isn't relevant to this year BUT are you referring to 2 years ago when DB went to Oak Ridge (Region 2 #1 seed) during the season and won and then beat the Owls in Round 1 of the playoffs? Doesn't sound like that would have been much of a help that year. I understand what you are saying and I hope that doesn't come off as a jab at the Owls because the 2004 playoff game and last year were some tough Owl teams.

But I do agree if you look at the DB teams that have went deeper and really had a chance, it has been years that the competition duing the regular season has been better. The years they played the tough OR teams and MBA have been there better playoffs year. But unfortunatley it is very costly to travel from this end of the state to play the better teams year in year out. Maryville, OR, Ooltewah, MoWest, Alcoa(?), maybe a private school down Chattanooga way. But it is a haul to get very much further than that. There is a lot of travel as is in Region 1-5A. Other than Science Hill, all other region 1 games are at least 1-1/2 hours away. Maybe DB could buy a plane and fly around the country playing tougher competition like they do down in Hoover and other places. :thumb:

Clark lost the WB game for the Indians on the 4 yard line. The team fought through some bad breaks to put them in position to win the game. In the end, Clark executed a repeat of last years goal line effort against Ooltewah. It is insane to run up the middle without a fullback to block and unwise to pass with such a short field in heavy traffic. You recall last year the pass into the zone was intercepted to essentially end the OT and seal the loss for DB. Clark does not seem capable of learning from his mistakes. To put Burton right back into that situation was idiotic. The Indians would have scored with 3 runs up the middle using a fullback to carry or to block. And even if that did not work, the ball would be in the middle of the field to set up a easier FG attempt.

This DB team did go from GOOD to GREAT, but the the offensive play calling and the use of personel was pitiful. Clark is good enough to beat NET teams, and thats it. If DB is satisfied with Conference Championships, then Clark is your man. It's unforgivable what Clark did to this outstanding group of young men. DB needs a new offensive coach, and until that happens it is unlikely any DB team will be able to overcome the coaching incompetence to make it through the playoffs.

And Jaco...your lead post is drivel. This team has the talent and chemistry to beat any opponent. And to suggest that the DB football players and fans be satisfied with anything but the State Championship is sad and misguided. To say "The result, not even close" reveals your ignorance. It doesn't get much closer than the game on Friday night. All the playoff teams are very good teams, and had DB won and played on, every game would continue to be close.

It's clear that Clark is popular with the good old boys, with his glib comments and seemingly witty remarks, but I am sick of it. Will see if he can admit his mistakes, or just blame the players (or worst yet, fate - a la the worm comment in the Times-News), as he has done in the past. Perhaps he should spend less time coming up with cute sayings and learn how to coach.

Thas it for the other one.

PLease clarify that statement because I don't understand...but then again I did serve in the military and according to John Kerry I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :thumb:

The original quoted post by "DBWatchdog" included this exerpt, "With only 3-4 starters coming back and a Jr class that hasn't exactly dominated in prior yrs, why would South drop??? They thought they could beat DB this year and not next, somebody missed the bus!! Good luck to South, TN H and all of the ETN schools." Most schedule, personel, or management changes are often not very well influenced by fans/parents. A percentage of the time yes but mostly not. It is becoming known that South's AD has been responsible for some bad blood. This is not the place for this discussion and I won't elaborate except to say that for this years DB/South game no tickets were available at SSHS. Purportedly, because DB refused to let us sell tickets at South. This infuriated South parents/fans. At 10 am the morning of the game it was reported (eroniously) that the game was sold out. Obviously, everyone scrambled to J Fred and at game time tickets were still available. In the end (a week ago) it was found to be untrue but that our AD actually made the decision to disallow the sale of tickets at SSHS. Geologists continue to unearth interesting artifacts. What does this have to do with South dropping DB. Sometimes the most obscure pieces of information become the most important in an otherwise overlooked act of deception. This does not excuse the bad blood between our fans and the acts of agression from both sides. In the end this decision will be for the best even though I don't like it. However, there is more to it than meets the eye.

The original quoted post by "DBWatchdog" included this exerpt, "With only 3-4 starters coming back and a Jr class that hasn't exactly dominated in prior yrs, why would South drop??? They thought they could beat DB this year and not next, somebody missed the bus!! Good luck to South, TN H and all of the ETN schools." Most schedule, personel, or management changes are often not very well influenced by fans/parents. A percentage of the time yes but mostly not. It is becoming known that South's AD has been responsible for some bad blood. This is not the place for this discussion and I won't elaborate except to say that for this years DB/South game no tickets were available at SSHS. Purportedly, because DB refused to let us sell tickets at South. This infuriated South parents/fans. At 10 am the morning of the game it was reported (eroniously) that the game was sold out. Obviously, everyone scrambled to J Fred and at game time tickets were still available. In the end (a week ago) it was found to be untrue but that our AD actually made the decision to disallow the sale of tickets at SSHS. Geologists continue to unearth interesting artifacts. What does this have to do with South dropping DB. Sometimes the most obscure pieces of information become the most important in an otherwise overlooked act of deception. This does not excuse the bad blood between our fans and the acts of agression from both sides. In the end this decision will be for the best even though I don't like it. However, there is more to it than meets the eye.

Who replaces DB on the Schedule any other changes how about Happy Valley?????

I know this is a Dobyns Bennett thread, but we should also talk about Science Hill, not only their scheduling (which could be debated as a worse problem than Dobyns Bennett) but also the caliber of their program in relation to the their number of students. Does anybody know Sullivan South's and Science Hill's out of conference opponents as well?

Who replaces DB on the Schedule any other changes how about Happy Valley?????

My understanding is there are 3 changes of which I should not divulge at this time even though I understand they are concrete. Some include accompanying personel changes which effected the contracts thereof. In addition, the whole time line has been re-shuffled. The way the schedule will fall will be very dangerous as far as playoff qualification is concerned. It will be a more difficult schedule simply because of the time-line. And yes, the replacement competitors should be very obvious.

LOVED, HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED!!!

I have read the articles of this thread, and to say the least.... they are very interesting and some even good posts. BUT!!!! I have not seen anything on what it will take from the players to get to the next level. This years' team ran through the competition like a knife through hot butter. In the Science Hill game, we saw a hiccup for disaster, a hard fought game that ended up only 14-0. It is not choking, poor coaching or anything like that. Almost every team, in all sports, in the Upper East Tennessee region has this common problem........ playing with the same intensity in the playoffs as you do during the season and in rivalry games. Too many times in this region players, fans, and opponents see rivalry games as more important than the playoffs. I hear the old cliche...."as long as we beat 'so and so,' we will have a good year." The perfect scenario is where your players are peaking and salivating at the mouth when the playoffs start, not the South or Science Hill game, where there were more fans for those games than the playoff game last week. Giving an example of peaking...... we (Volunteer Basketball) did not take the usual Cherokee vs. Volunteer game as the end-all games as is customary in past years. We wanted to progress and get better each week leading up to the playoffs. We didn't care if we won or lost, just as long as we kept getting better. It was rough at times, but when the district tourney started, we put forth our best effort and almost beat one of the best teams in East TN being DB. We took them to ovetime and just lost to a better team, but we felt like our overall plan worked in preparing the team for the playoffs. Now... I know Coach Clark and he runs one of the best programs in the state. But, I am glad to see the DB/ South game not being played. Maybe now the fans, players, etc. will focus on helping one another and preparing for something BIGGER than rivalries...... the playoffs. GOD BLESS!!!!! and congrats to all East TN teams this year for another fine year of football.

WACO.... I understand your pain and method of reasoning. Goal it, but don't talk about it.........

Clark lost the WB game for the Indians on the 4 yard line. The team fought through some bad breaks to put them in position to win the game. In the end, Clark executed a repeat of last years goal line effort against Ooltewah. It is insane to run up the middle without a fullback to block and unwise to pass with such a short field in heavy traffic. You recall last year the pass into the zone was intercepted to essentially end the OT and seal the loss for DB. Clark does not seem capable of learning from his mistakes. To put Burton right back into that situation was idiotic. The Indians would have scored with 3 runs up the middle using a fullback to carry or to block. And even if that did not work, the ball would be in the middle of the field to set up a easier FG attempt.

This DB team did go from GOOD to GREAT, but the the offensive play calling and the use of personel was pitiful. Clark is good enough to beat NET teams, and thats it. If DB is satisfied with Conference Championships, then Clark is your man. It's unforgivable what Clark did to this outstanding group of young men. DB needs a new offensive coach, and until that happens it is unlikely any DB team will be able to overcome the coaching incompetence to make it through the playoffs.

And Jaco...your lead post is drivel. This team has the talent and chemistry to beat any opponent. And to suggest that the DB football players and fans be satisfied with anything but the State Championship is sad and misguided. To say "The result, not even close" reveals your ignorance. It doesn't get much closer than the game on Friday night. All the playoff teams are very good teams, and had DB won and played on, every game would continue to be close.

It's clear that Clark is popular with the good old boys, with his glib comments and seemingly witty remarks, but I am sick of it. Will see if he can admit his mistakes, or just blame the players (or worst yet, fate - a la the worm comment in the Times-News), as he has done in the past. Perhaps he should spend less time coming up with cute sayings and learn how to coach.

Thas it for the other one.

Well, I started this thread on a serious note but looks like I will have to break that just long enough to give out the "Mo Ron of the day award"

direwolfe...... You call my lead post drivel, then go on to make your own "drivel"

post. So you really think that the #1 ranked team in the state and #1 seed playing the unranked and #4 seed team and losing to that team in the opening round of the playoffs puts the Indians close to winning a State Championship? And how do you know the rest of the games would be close had the Indians stayed in it? All the playoff teams are very good teams? Science Hill ring a bell? just to name one.

You are probably half right about Clark but way off in the rest of your post. So the "Mo Ron or the day award" goes to......direwolfe