Golden Tate In Sports Illustrated

KnightTime05

Guest dare_2_dream

Why can't you just congratulate the young man and leave it at that? Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida, Georgia Tech and South Carolina don't seem concerned he hasn't won a state championship or played at the 5A level. I think they might have a pretty good eye for talent.

Pick Florida Golden, pick Florida!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverdale has a lot of gold balls, but when was the last time they had multiple players signed at big name schools?They HAVEN't. I mean Gaston got signed at Vandy, but most do not really consider that a prestigious athletic signing. No one to Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Florida State, not even UT.

They had Fernando Bryant go to Alabama in the 1990s. Now he's helping us out in Detroit. That seems like a pretty prestigous signing to me.

They had Fernando Bryant go to Alabama in the 1990s. Now he's helping us out in Detroit. That seems like a pretty prestigous signing to me.

Note.....I said when was the last time.....I know about Fernando. However, if you knew the facts, you would know that Fernando's family moved to Ala his Jr yr and he moved in with a Riverdale coach. So in actuality, he should have been in HS to sign his scholarship at a HS in Alabama.

With 4 gold balls, dominance in 5A football, and 8 BCB appearances with 4 silver balls and to ONLY have signed 4 players to big schools......to sign Fernando to Bama, over 10 yrs ago, Locke briefly to Ala and UT over 10 yrs ago, Gerald Griffin to UT over 10 yrs ago, and Alvin Duke to Vandy OVER 10 yrs ago....like I said.......

agreeed

I dont see him being near the star if he was at a 5A school. I still think he is good and has accoplished alot of great goals.

But if he is in 5A ,which is a lot tougher than D2, i dont see him being near the star that he is.

Throw him up with the big boys and see if he can play some big boy football

Good Luck Golden and i hope Football takes you far.

hahahaha, are you kidding? How can you say that 5a football is overall better than Div II, there is no way in heck you can tell that simply by looking at the record of a team.

I dont see him being near the star if he was at a 5A school. I still think he is good and has accoplished alot of great goals.

But if he is in 5A ,which is a lot tougher than D2, i dont see him being near the star that he is.

Golden Tate will do just fine at the next level(s) despite not having played "big boy football". He has been fun to watch and will represent the state of Tennessee quite well.

FWIW, DI-5A didn't exactly blow away the "small boy football" competition from other classes in 2006:

vs. DII: 2-10

vs. I-4A: 40-40

vs. I-3A: 9-5

vs. I-2A: 2-1

vs. Other: 4-3

Total: 57-59

Link to all classes.

Edited by rollredroll

Note.....I said when was the last time.....I know about Fernando. However, if you knew the facts, you would know that Fernando's family moved to Ala his Jr yr and he moved in with a Riverdale coach. So in actuality, he should have been in HS to sign his scholarship at a HS in Alabama.

With 4 gold balls, dominance in 5A football, and 8 BCB appearances with 4 silver balls and to ONLY have signed 4 players to big schools......to sign Fernando to Bama, over 10 yrs ago, Locke briefly to Ala and UT over 10 yrs ago, Gerald Griffin to UT over 10 yrs ago, and Alvin Duke to Vandy OVER 10 yrs ago....like I said.......

Huh? Antron Peebles signed with UT. David Coppeans with Vanderbilt. Recently Dave Thomas to Memphis. There are a lot more: http://www.rhs.rcs.k12.tn.us/sports/footba...e%20Players.htm

Taron Henry is playing at Middle. Cory Carney had a great career at Samford.

But you are right. FEW programs produce D-1 prospects year in and year out. Alcoa/Maryville neck of the woods has cranked out a few.

I have had the good fortune of watching Golden Tate play ball. He is a good one!

Huh? Antron Peebles signed with UT. David Coppeans with Vanderbilt. Recently Dave Thomas to Memphis. There are a lot more: http://www.rhs.rcs.k12.tn.us/sports/footba...e%20Players.htm

truth. eric locke to alabama and then recieving another scholarship upon transferring to UT (i'll bring up him getting dismissed from the team there before 2p can, to take away some of the joy he has when he talks about rankin having no discipline and gets to use that as a prime example :thumb:).

back to the point: go ahead golden, make tennessee proud B). he's a heck of a ball player and i feel unfortunate i have not gotten the pleasure to see him play, although i will have plenty of saturdays to watch him in the future :huh:

agreeed

Good Luck Golden and i hope Football takes you far.

actually you all might wanna rethink the facts of what youre saying, what makes division 2 division 2 is not the fact that any of the teams are worse than any of the teams in division 1, its not college, the similarity to college d2 is that the schools are smaller, but the difference that people sometimes do not realize is the reason that the schools in division 2 are in division 2 is really because they are aloud to recruit players and give financial aide to them, which would in turn make many of the division 2 teams better than D1 , take ECS for example, went 9-1 and had an amazing season, playing various teams that were not d2, with the exception of dynasties like maryville, pope john paul 2 would do well in d1, so give tate the credit he deserves

Golden Tate will do just fine at the next level(s) despite not having played "big boy football". He has been fun to watch and will represent the state of Tennessee quite well.

FWIW, DI-5A didn't exactly blow away the "small boy football" competition from other classes in 2006:

vs. DII: 2-10

vs. I-4A: 40-40

vs. I-3A: 9-5

vs. I-2A: 2-1

vs. Other: 4-3

Total: 57-59

Link to all classes.

Those stats rather speak for themselves. Last year, it appears that 5-A schools broke even with 4-A schools in Division 1. I have long felt that after you get past 1-A and get to schools which have 40+ players on the roster, you have enough to play effective high school football. Since no one cuts squads in high school football any longer, there seems to be no real reason for having 100 guys out for football unless they are proportionally divided with sophomores being most numerous, etc.

Riverdale and Germantown have had great programs, but so have Maryville, Alcoa, Lipscomb, Hillsboro and Melrose. If Golden Tate has talent enough for Notre Dame, Florida and other college teams, I think they will be more concerned with his 40 times, his attitude, his presses and squats more than how many lockers were in his high school dressing room.

Notre Dame is actively recruited 3 Tennessee high schoolers--Harrison Smith (Knox Catholic--3A), Golden Tate (Pope John Paul II--D2), and Chris Donald ((Huntingdon--2A).