Golden Tate In Sports Illustrated

KnightTime05

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From everything I've seen of him over the past few years Golden is the real deal. I think he would be a great player no matter which classification he played in. And what a marketable name. It just kind of has a ring to it like Jim Bob Cooter :D

However, smaller schools must realize that the talent pool they have to choose from is smaller than larger schools, thus on average the talent will not be as good in a lower classification as compared to a higher one. This doesn't mean a small school cannot have the good players, it just means their good players will likely be unproven and will have to do their proving at the next level like Warren and Turner. Or sometimes the player is just so far above everyone else in their classification you know they're just a great player no matter what. But, overall the talent will generally be better in a larger classification.

This also doesn't mean a small school cannot beat a large school. I would have felt good taking last years Alcoa 2A team against anyone in the state. I know all you Maryville fans are having trouble staying in your seats, but I bet you guys would not have wanted to play them again last year.

As for Riverdale it's probably not a good argument to debate their talent (take a look at that web link that was posted). They have a Mr. Football finalist just about every year (if not more than one) and have had many D1 commitments. However, 2priceless I can understand your position considering Riverdale generally hands it to Oakland year in a year out. I would be bitter too :D

Overall I think Golden is a great player and has the ability to excel at the next level. Good luck.

Edited by montana

Well I would love the Owls to take a chance and play in D-II for two years and see how they fair. Some people look at things and have no idea what they are talking about. I would even let them have JP II schedule this year. I say 6-4 or 7-3 IMO. What do you think IMAOwl?

So you are saying that the #1 team in 5a with a 11-0 record that is in one of the hardest if not the hardest regions in 5a would go 6-4 with JP II schedule...... Who would they lose to? Knox Webb? St. Benedict? MBA?... Please... JP II is in dII-AA not II-AAA...... Big difference...

Golden Tate is a great player. I've watched some film of him on the internet. Good size and speed but he is not playing in the best classification.....

We're probably losing sight of the topic at hand here (Golden Tate), although I guess it (classification) is somewhat on topic since his competition has been called into question.

The confusion started when someone questioned the level of competition in "DII", and therein lies the problem: "DII" is a large division with three classifications. The original poster (BarnBurner) could have clarified by opining that "DII-AA" is not tougher than DI-5A, and not saying "DII" as a whole. And I would probably agree with that statement (I-5A tougher than II-AA), just as I would also contend that DII-AAA, with about a 70-75% winning percentage against I-5A and I-4A since the split (and a 19-4 record versus all of DI in 2006), is the data-supported best classification in Tennessee football since the split.

Edited by rollredroll