Football gets the squeeze from Basketball

GreenMan

Let me go ahead and stir the pot. Any athlete with any kind of ability can suit up and play football. It requires less skill than any of the other major sports. A good athlete that is strong can dominate a football game. Baseball and Basketball on the other hand require much more skill. Football only has two or three positions that really require you to do anything besides lift weights and do agilities and those are the quarterbacks and wide receivers. There are 5 quarterbacks on the floor in basketball, all of which are required to read the defense, handle the ball, rebound, shoot, as well as being responsible for defending their man. Therefor it requires alot more time spent to be successful at it. What some of you are failing to realize also, is that basketball is a lot more fun to practice for the kids as well. Matter of fact most kids actually enjoy playing it year round, and for those that don't, take a break and go do something else. Baseball also requires more skill, therefor demanding more practice. So stop whining keep lifting and working on your quickness, quit trying to blame other programs because you are not successful. After all don't kids have the right to chose what they do and when. I know they do at our school. :thumb:

I am going to defend football here for a minute. There is more to football than just wide receivers and quarterbacks! The whole team reads up on other teams and also gets on the field to play! It takes a lot of skill to play any sport! My boys are tri athletes and they will tell ya that it takes a lot to play any sport! It is the mentality a child takes in to any game that makes them as successful as they can be! Lets not down any sport and remember it is all about the KIDS! They grow too fast the way it is!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with ya! If a kid wants to be a tri athlete then that is what they CHOOSE to do. It is the love of sports that keeps kids going! Nothing in life is easy! The system IS fine the way it is!!!!! I encourage kids to be the best they can be! IT IS ALL ABOUT THE KIDS!!!!

I agree 100%. The problem you get into is when coaches start trying to steer/force players into cutting out other sports. Seriously, how many of these kids are going to play in college. You only get to experience high school athletics once and it is tough when a coach in your major sport (no matter which of the 3) tries to get you to toally commit to one sport. The pressure some of these coaches exert is tremendous. The will use the line that to be "the best you can be" you must specialize in one.

Let me go ahead and stir the pot. Any athlete with any kind of ability can suit up and play football. It requires less skill than any of the other major sports. A good athlete that is strong can dominate a football game. Baseball and Basketball on the other hand require much more skill. Football only has two or three positions that really require you to do anything besides lift weights and do agilities and those are the quarterbacks and wide receivers. There are 5 quarterbacks on the floor in basketball, all of which are required to read the defense, handle the ball, rebound, shoot, as well as being responsible for defending their man. Therefor it requires alot more time spent to be successful at it. What some of you are failing to realize also, is that basketball is a lot more fun to practice for the kids as well. Matter of fact most kids actually enjoy playing it year round, and for those that don't, take a break and go do something else. Baseball also requires more skill, therefor demanding more practice. So stop whining keep lifting and working on your quickness, quit trying to blame other programs because you are not successful. After all don't kids have the right to chose what they do and when. I know they do at our school. :thumb:

Apperently you know absolutely nothing about football. Reading defenses, coverages, formations, motions, snap counts, remembering a million different offensive plays and defensive cause most players in 1a play both. Basketball has 3 or 4 defensive plays and not half as many offensive plays as football, thier is not hardly any contact, playing both sports before i can tell you basketball has nothing on football. Their is nothing like the adreniline rush football gives you. the roaring fans, the knowing fact that its you aginist the man in front of you to see who is the best. Play after play, inch by inch, wondering if your going to be able to go just 1 more play. there is nothing else like it. Basketball doesn't even come close.

The best and most highly skilled athletes in the world play basketball. The main thing that both have in common is that players win the games not plays. Any defense can stop a play, but very few can stop great players.

That being said if you have to teach alot of plays then you aren't spending enough time teaching the kids how to play. Remember one thing, to remember where to go stand and who to block does not require skill, it is memorization. I said basketball took more skill, which requires more practice.

Tennessee should do what Kentucky does...No basketball till after Thanksgiving...

Football season starts too early..Has too many teams in the playoffs..Basically,no more than the top two teams from each region should make the playoffs...Oh I know some very good teams would be out of the playoffs..But you know what??..Get better and be in the top two...That would get the bowls back in the picture and communities could have very good match-ups and make very good money..That would also allow the season to start after Labor Day or at least that weekend...Some teams played three games in August this year...That's ridiculous...But we all know it's all about the T.$.$.A.A and this will never happen..It makes too much sense.....

This is my opinion, and i know a lot of people don't agree with it but, at the risk of appearing a little redneck, here it is anyway. Baseball is directly in the middle of turkey season. Basketball is directly in the middle of duck season. And while Football does cut into a little bit of bow season, you dont have to play on the weekends so it's ok. There is also a regular schedual with football. You will practice monday-thurs. and play on friday. there's not 682 game a year like baseball and basketball i dont see how people don't get burned out just playing ONE of those two sports. Who has time for a life?

The best and most highly skilled athletes in the world play basketball. The main thing that both have in common is that players win the games not plays. Any defense can stop a play, but very few can stop great players.

That being said if you have to teach alot of plays then you aren't spending enough time teaching the kids how to play. Remember one thing, to remember where to go stand and who to block does not require skill, it is memorization. I said basketball took more skill, which requires more practice.

Ok, so you are saying if you take the best NBA players and make a football team out of them they would be good? I don't think so. But if you take some of the best NFL players and make a basketball team they would be great. Cause most NFL Wide Recivers and some more positions played basketball in high school and some in college, they choose football. Look at Juluis Peppers he could have went pro in either one, but he choose football. The same goes in high school, there is no way a basketball team has the skill to beat a football team in football, but it is possible for the football team to beat the basketball team. Only in extreme cases where the basketball team is great and the football team is horrible can a basketball team win. The fact is anyone that can shoot can play basketball, but it takes more to play football. This shouldn't even be an argument, i can understnd if you like baketball better, but which takes more talent and has better atheltes is clear that football wins :thumb:

Allen Iverson, Lebron James, and Ben Wallace were all High School all state footballers. I guess we can just agree to disagree. I love football and I love basketball. I just think that each player has specialized skills in football, whereas with basketball each player other than the occasional center has to know how to do pretty much everything. No hard feelings here. :thumb:

Ok, so you are saying if you take the best NBA players and make a football team out of them they would be good? I don't think so. But if you take some of the best NFL players and make a basketball team they would be great. Cause most NFL Wide Recivers and some more positions played basketball in high school and some in college, they choose football. Look at Juluis Peppers he could have went pro in either one, but he choose football. The same goes in high school, there is no way a basketball team has the skill to beat a football team in football, but it is possible for the football team to beat the basketball team. Only in extreme cases where the basketball team is great and the football team is horrible can a basketball team win. The fact is anyone that can shoot can play basketball, but it takes more to play football. This shouldn't even be an argument, i can understnd if you like baketball better, but which takes more talent and has better atheltes is clear that football wins :thumb:

I agree 100%... You can take a few football players and can compete with alot of basketball teams. But you can't take a basketball team and beat anybody in football. To say that it takes no skill to play football is crazy J is L. Football builds character and disipline. I've played both sports in school and football is no doubt the hardest sport to play. Heck most P.E. teachers just throw the roundball out and let the kids play. In football you do that and you will get killed every fri. night. But really I think it takes more physical skills to play baseball than football or basketball.

Allen Iverson, Lebron James, and Ben Wallace were all High School all state footballers. I guess we can just agree to disagree. I love football and I love basketball. I just think that each player has specialized skills in football, whereas with basketball each player other than the occasional center has to know how to do pretty much everything. No hard feelings here. :thumb:

High School football enables ALL student athletes to participate; big, small, skinny, fat, athletic or uncoordinated. Few HS teams will cut anyone who comes out in the fall if they make it thru the fall parctices; ESPECIALLY at the 1 or 2 A level where you need bodies! That 6 foot 330 pound fat kid who can't run very fast could never make his HS basketball or baseball teams, but he can block; he can open that hole and be a vital part of a team concept. To me, it's the GREATEST sport ever devised and offers virtually every kid a chance to participate in a wonderful team sport.

Each sport serves its purpose. Its meaningless to argue which sport is better because they are equal, some are better suited for basketball, others for baseball and football. All of these sports build tremendous character and have a team concept. If you make it thru practice in basketball or baseball and work hard at it, I doubt that any coach worth his salt would cut a player that busts his butt day in and day out