Nelson going to Science Hill

jonboat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a good coach. He has no talent over there.

I heard that Bowles is pretty much gone. Who are some canidates?

Why is he gone though, that is what I want to know.

And as for Coach Nelson, he was well known around here before he went to East. Once there, yea, he did turn around that program. But wait a minute..........East is back to being East these past two years isn't it? With all due respect........doesn't seem like too much has changed in my opinion.

Well, I guess the cat is out of the bag. Yes, Coach Nelson is a 'Topper. And South will play them in week 2 I believe...duh. I would look for SH to turn around in no more than the 2nd year. DB, the Big East just got upgraded. SH...and football..."what 'chu no uh'bout 'dat"...Ha! I guess we'll see. Ralph was a lineman. Lineman don't like to pass block. I see SH breeding running backs now. Hey...what say we upgrade the whold NET sector! Let's bring it up to speed!!!

They have a good start in Duanna at RB. I think I spelled that close :thumb:

Not an East fan or a big nelson fan. But he did turn that program around in 2 years and it has been dead in the water since mid 70s.

Exactly...I think he has guided them to there ONLY playoff appearance.

Edited by maroonandgrey

They have a good start in Duanna at RB. I think I spelled that close :thumb:

Exactly...I think he has guided them to there ONLY playoff appearance.

I tried to find some stats on the Bristol and DB games. Could only find those for DB. Duanna had 130 on the ground. And remember that was in a monsoon. Nelson did take them to their only po appearance.

Why is he gone though, that is what I want to know.

And as for Coach Nelson, he was well known around here before he went to East. Once there, yea, he did turn around that program. But wait a minute..........East is back to being East these past two years isn't it? With all due respect........doesn't seem like too much has changed in my opinion.

I agree. He didn't change anything at East...he inherited some pretty good talent and thats it. I am not saying he is a bad coach but what has he done since? I wish him the best at SH but being a good lineman in high school and an underachiever in college does not make you a good coach. He may shine like a new penny at SH but it will take three or four years to see if he was worth the time.

Edited by Boonie

I tried to find some stats on the Bristol and DB games. Could only find those for DB. Duanna had 130 on the ground. And remember that was in a monsoon. Nelson did take them to their only po appearance.

If I'm not mistaken, Solomon had the most rushings yards against Tennessee High as an individual while South had the most rushing yards against Tennessee as a team.

Nelson took them to the only playoff appearance they earned. They went to the playoffs a few years earlier due to Tennessee High being suspended from the playoffs.

This rumor is true. I had eluded to it on another thread a few days ago. I told the SH people to look to the "East" for a new coach and no one got it, lol. Ralphie will be a great fit for the Hill.

Are you sure about Nelson? Is it a done deal? I have heard about some connections at Maryville High School. Has John stepped down? This would be a big surprise to me, especilly this quick. Thanks for your input.

You don't have a freakin clue dude! Ralphie was one of the most dominating linemen this area has ever seen.

I played against him from the time we were both in grade school so I do "have a freakin clue dude." The Kingsport Times News made him to be a lot better than what he was. They did the same thing with Aaron Ferguson the next year. They were both good, but not the superstars the papers made them out to be. As far as his coaching goes, he inherited a good team in the '04 season, but what has he done the past 2 years? If I'm not mistaken, none of their 9 wins over the past 2 years have been against teams with a winning record. Very impressive turn around there.

I played against him from the time we were both in grade school so I do "have a freakin clue dude." The Kingsport Times News made him to be a lot better than what he was. They did the same thing with Aaron Ferguson the next year. They were both good, but not the superstars the papers made them out to be. As far as his coaching goes, he inherited a good team in the '04 season, but what has he done the past 2 years? If I'm not mistaken, none of their 9 wins over the past 2 years have been against teams with a winning record. Very impressive turn around there.

Ralph has done a good job at East, and if the rumors are true I am sure he will do well at Science Hill. Ralph has instilled a sense of pride at East, and that is something the Patriots haven't had before. If Ralph does leave, he will definitely leave the East program in better shape than when he arrived.

As far as Ralph as a player, I don't think he was overated. He was the most dominate defensive lineman I have seen around here. From looking at the number in your screen name, you must have been a lineman. I guess getting manhandled by Ralph from grade school through high school has left a bad taste in your mouth, and I definitley sense a little jealously over the careers of Nelson and Ferguson. I don't seem to recall any Boone standout lineman from the same time frame.

Edited by The Wizard