Maryville @ Red Bank

Past30

I think Maryville wins this one much easier than some people think. It's meaningless to compare the brainerd score and others. Every team has at least one game a season where they really underperform. Having watched Maryville football over the past years, I can't tell you how many "big games" turned out to be not so big after all - games with MoWest (all but one!), Tennessee High, Greeneville, Knox Central, Powell, Cleveland, Rhea Co., and one particularly memorable game against Red Bank with Gerald Riggs. I also remember Red Bank fans telling Maryville fans before the game that no one could stop Riggs, nobody had stopped him in two years blah blah blah. We know the outcome. A bunch of "nameless" Maryville players won the game. Maryville fans arn't cocky. I think its just when you've been in as many "Big games" as Maryville has, you really consider the only big game to be state. And we have seen some tough competition in state the past few years. Does anyone know how many undefeated teams Maryville has eleminated in the playoffs under Quarles? I would be interested to find out. Knox Central had a few years when their only lossese (2) were to Maryville. I could be wrong, but I think Maryville will show Red Bank what state champions are made of. Maryville by 21+ (this should get a rise out of some people I reckon)

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might very well be correct with this post. I would say that Red Bank is faster than Maryville. But since Maryville has won every game for 350 years, I think you have to pick the Rebs to win. I do believe it will be close. I think the key could by Maryville's kicker. The difference in the Alcoa game was like a 50 yard field goal and Maryville won 17-14. If it does come down to special teams Maryville will win hands down. If I weren't goin to the Alcoa game I would definately make the 90 minute treck down 75 for this one.

Red Bank has a great kicker. He has only kept 1 ball out of the endzone this year on kickoffs..

I think Maryville wins this one much easier than some people think. It's meaningless to compare the brainerd score and others. Every team has at least one game a season where they really underperform. Having watched Maryville football over the past years, I can't tell you how many "big games" turned out to be not so big after all - games with MoWest (all but one!), Tennessee High, Greeneville, Knox Central, Powell, Cleveland, Rhea Co., and one particularly memorable game against Red Bank with Gerald Riggs. I also remember Red Bank fans telling Maryville fans before the game that no one could stop Riggs, nobody had stopped him in two years blah blah blah. We know the outcome. A bunch of "nameless" Maryville players won the game. Maryville fans arn't cocky. I think its just when you've been in as many "Big games" as Maryville has, you really consider the only big game to be state. And we have seen some tough competition in state the past few years. Does anyone know how many undefeated teams Maryville has eleminated in the playoffs under Quarles? I would be interested to find out. Knox Central had a few years when their only lossese (2) were to Maryville. I could be wrong, but I think Maryville will show Red Bank what state champions are made of. Maryville by 21+ (this should get a rise out of some people I reckon)

21+? You must be kidding. Maryville won't even score 21. Not saying RB will win, but it will be close.

Not a RB fan here.

Slick Rick agrees with Slick TruRebelPlaya. Slick Maryville WILL beat Slick Red Bank. Slick Red Bank is not in the same class with Slick Coach Quarles at Maryville. Slick Coach Quarles will have his boys ready to go. Slick Maryville wins by atleast 14

i completely agree, no one can come near coach quarles, no telling how much we'll win by, but at the end of the night, maryville will have 43 straight wins...

Trust me this is not the only time the community has backed Red Bank football. You seem to act as if Red Bank has not had any good teams and this is the first time they have been good. Having the game in Red Bank is an advantage to Red Bank no matter how you argue. There is something about having your home field and fans there.

I wouldn't argue against what you say that at all...being in Red Bank is a tremendous advantage. And of course they've had good teams before; recent history would tell us that they've not recently been as good as Maryville, but we'll find out tonight who is better this year.

I would say there is something to the tradition and culture of playing in and winning games this big EVERY year and that it's just as impactful as having homefield advantage.